Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Page 1875 - What's New at Haunt for 2019?
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 9 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
"Excuse me, miss, may I pound my large rooster into your donkey?"

Re: Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Postby Ape » Tue May 19, 2015 7:54 am

no no clearly my discovery. :lmao:

2 + 2 = donkey!

Postby TB305 » Tue May 19, 2015 10:05 am

certifiedcoastergeek wrote:
Ape wrote:Haven't you seen the new ride already it's the image on KD's website you can see it very clearly. No more need to argue. I take full credit for the discovery...

:Pr
:roll:
Might I refer you to page 1118 of this discussion thread? (My post, btw)

He's being sarcastic....

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby DCSportsAndCoasters » Tue May 19, 2015 12:06 pm

I think there's a possibility that KD will surprise us and turn Shockwave into a sit-down coaster. It would be a lot more tolerable.
Omar Shinaishin
I like D.C. sports teams
Kings Dominion, Busch Gardens, Six Flags America are my home parks
Favorite coasters are: Griffon, I305, Dominator, Volcano, Apollo's Chariot, S:ROS, Fury 325, Skyrush, and so much more.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Follow me on Instagram @shinaishin_nation/Google+ +TheAnimatorOfficial/Twitter @TheAniOfficial, subscribe to me on Youtube (TheAnimatorOfficial).

Gimme Some Candy!

Postby coasterfreak101 » Tue May 19, 2015 12:23 pm

^No. Absolutely not. 0% chance, and I'll bet every penny I have on that.
1. Skyrush | 2. Maverick | 3. The Voyage | 4. El Toro | 5. Outlaw Run
6. Millennium Force | 7. I-305 | 8. Medusa: SC | 9. X2 | 10. Phoenix

Coasters: 290
Parks: 51

Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Donkey.

Postby certifiedcoastergeek » Tue May 19, 2015 12:50 pm

DCSportsAndCoasters wrote:I think there's a possibility that KD will surprise us and turn Shockwave into a sit-down coaster. It would be a lot more tolerable.

I'd bet everything against that, as well. That ride might be even MORE rough even IF that happened (which it won't). Shockwave will be gone by 2017, amigo.
Credit Counter: 75 (72 Operating, 3 Defunct)
1. Intimidator 305 2. Millennium Force 3. Top Thrill Dragster 4. Volcano, the Blast Coaster 5. Maverick
6. Xcelerator 7. Steel Force 8. Griffon 9. Phantom's Revenge 9. Intimidator 10. Fury 325

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Superbatboy » Tue May 19, 2015 1:05 pm

DCSportsAndCoasters wrote:I think there's a possibility that KD will surprise us and turn Shockwave into a sit-down coaster. It would be a lot more tolerable.

If it were a B&M I'd believe in the possibility of this, but the majority of Togo's are trash. More than half of them have been removed from parks, and for good reason.
1.Skyrush 2.El Toro 3.Fury 325 4.Maverick 5.New Texas Giant 6.Wicked Cyclone 7.Twisted Colossus 8.Superman:TR 9.Millennium Force 10.Apollo's Chariot

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Postby Coaster Hero » Tue May 19, 2015 4:56 pm

I'd bet everything against that, as well. That ride might be even MORE rough even IF that happened (which it won't). Shockwave will be gone by 2017, amigo.

Actually, it would be less rough as a sitdown. Lower heartline=less exaggerated transitions=less rough ride
Sometimes when I am at the park I ask myself "Why is Kingda Ka open?"

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby Password121 » Tue May 19, 2015 5:10 pm

Coaster Hero wrote:

Actually, it would be less rough as a sitdown. Lower heartline=less exaggerated transitions=less rough ride

Not really how it works. The track and transitions are engineered for a heartline at a specific height range. Taking it out of that range can actually increase the variability of the heartline, making the ride even rougher/jerkier.
Mantis was possible to convert because the heartline allowed for such variability--not sure if Shockwave is designed like this.
And because its a B&M, and B&M produces sit down/floorless trains with the same track guage. Togo does not, especially since they are not in business.
2017 Millennium Force Ride Host
2018 Millennium Force Team Leader

Postby certifiedcoastergeek » Tue May 19, 2015 6:26 pm

Password121 wrote:
Coaster Hero wrote:

Not really how it works. The track and transitions are engineered for a heartline at a specific height range. Taking it out of that range can actually increase the variability of the heartline, making the ride even rougher/jerkier.
Mantis was possible to convert because the heartline allowed for such variability--not sure if Shockwave is designed like this.
And because its a B&M, and B&M produces sit down/floorless trains with the same track guage. Togo does not, especially since they are not in business.

But let's ask ourselves the important questions here:
A. Would it really be worth it to pump a few million into converting an old TOGO? I seriously doubt changing the seating type will drive attendance, even under a new name. Even if the coaster could be made slightly smoother (which Password121 pretty much debunked, kudos to you, man), it will take parkgoers about five seconds to realize that they paid for a ticket to ride the same, mediocre-at-best, aging, unreliable TOGO, which I will remind you CF isn't afraid to remove.
B. Could the land be repurposed for the better? I say ABSOLUTELY YES. Two scenarios play out in 2016, based on my current information and what makes sense for the park, and both involve the Shockwave's removal.
1. Shockwave removed and replaced with a freakin' huge, thrilling flat ride. Does it sound stupid, since KD has one of the best flat ride collections worldwide (Gyro Drop hype)? Yes. Will it drive attendance? No. Has CF done it before? Yes. Will it give KD another year to bolster their case for a $25-30M+ B&M in 2017? Absolutely.
2. Shockwave removed, trees between "roadways" for Blue Ridge Tollway cleared, and new B&M invert, wing coaster, or even flying coaster put in its place. If this doesn't happen in '16, it's going to happen in '17 - mark my words. Even a launched wing coaster could be implemented with that plot of land (look at Google Earth and then look at Dominator, another inverting B&M at the park, for comparison). I'm >99% sure that nothing that KD builds will ever come close to the legend of Intimidator 305, so there's no point in building a hyper due to space constraints and logic. Look for a Thunderbird-type ride in '16 or '17.
1. Intimidator 305 2. Millennium Force 3. Top Thrill Dragster 4. Volcano, the Blast Coaster 5. Maverick
6. Xcelerator 7. Steel Force 8. Griffon 9. Phantom's Revenge 9. Intimidator 10. Fury 325

Postby certifiedcoastergeek » Tue May 19, 2015 6:52 pm

Also, Cedar Point removed their antique cars and 3D theater, both of which could be demolished along with the Shockwave at KD to make room for a VERY LARGE coaster.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!