The Cruise Ship and Cruise Line Discussion Thread!

P. 308 - Disney Fantasy Star Wars at Sea Preview!
Users viewing this topic: x2isawesome and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: The Cruise Ship and Cruise Line Discussion Thread!

Postby viking86 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:12 am

I feel that the chances of someone else being selected are against this guy... :lol:

Norwegian coasterfan wrote:Image

But yeah, the ship looks great! I've only been on one trip with Hurtigruten, and that was on a class trip to Aalesund about 10 years ago. On the way up we were sailing with the old M/S Lofoten from 1964, which was really cool. You could feel it in the whole ship when they fired up the engines. It's the oldest ship in their fleet, and it's still sailing.

On the return trip to Bergen we had one of the newer ships, but I cannot really remember much of that. Mainly because I was drunk most of the time... ;)

Edit:
I was just looking at their website and I see that they have a map where you can see where all their ships are at any given time. That's really cool!
https://www.hurtigruten.no/kart/?shipCode=LO

Holy crap you have a HUGE donkey!

Postby Norwegian coasterfan » Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:38 am

viking86 wrote:But yeah, the ship looks great! I've only been on one trip with Hurtigruten, and that was on a class trip to Aalesund about 10 years ago. On the way up we were sailing with the old M/S Lofoten from 1964, which was really cool. You could feel it in the whole ship when they fired up the engines. It's the oldest ship in their fleet, and it's still sailing.

If i remember correctly M/S Lofoten`s diesel engine has the most running hours in the world, over 300 000 hours i think it was, I also read somewhere that M/S Lofoten have travelled a distance that equals over 9 trips to the moon and back!

Postby viking86 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:50 am

^That would be correct, I did a quick check and found several articles from 2015 when the engine reached 300,000 running hours. 4,000,000 nautical miles, equaling to 9,6 times to the moon and back, or 185 times around the equator.

Link to article with several video clips as well.
https://sysla.no/maritim/den-lengstgaende-dieselmotoren-i-verden/

Since the trip I went on was with an engineering class, we had a guided tour of the engine room. That was a really cool experience, with so many visible moving parts.

"CACTUS SHARP!!"

Postby COASTER FREAK 11 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:27 am

There are cruise ships that are headed to the Path of Totality for the eclipse today! Why didn't we think to do an Eclipse Cruise! :lmao:

Postby DoinItForTheFame » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:03 pm

COASTER FREAK 11 wrote:There are cruise ships that are headed to the Path of Totality for the eclipse today! Why didn't we think to do an Eclipse Cruise! :lmao:

Well, you can try again in 7 years!!
Bigger is not always better.

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:38 pm

COASTER FREAK 11 wrote:There are cruise ships that are headed to the Path of Totality for the eclipse today! Why didn't we think to do an Eclipse Cruise! :lmao:

'Cause everybody was freeking out about the mid-August Coaster News too much, to think about doing it. ;)
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

Beware of the freeze-dried donkey!

Postby Mr Stratosphere » Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:36 pm

I know Hurricane Irma is barreling towards the Caribbean, and Allure of the Seas is the only ship that has an altered itinerary at this point. Been watching the storm closely as one of my employees is sailing out of Miami on Empress of the Seas next Monday.

Royal Caribbean's Current Update

ITINERARY UPDATES

Hurricane Irma Update

September 4, 2017 at 12 noon (next update at 7 pm)

There is currently no impact to the ships in our fleet due to Hurricane Irma. Given the westerly track of the storm, Royal Caribbean’s Chief Meteorologist, James Van Fleet is closely tracking its’ progress. We will continue to provide twice daily updates with any changes that may impact future sailings. For more frequent updates, please follow our meteorologist on Twitter @JamesVanFleet or visit the Royal Caribbean Facebook page.

Royal Caribbean International
September 1 at 12:24pm · New York, NY ·
UPDATE Sept 3rd, 7:00pm
Allure of the Seas 9/3: Hurricane Irma has recently developed in the Caribbean and is tracking west as a Category 2 hurricane. Given the storm's location and for everyone's comfort and safety, it is necessary to alter Allure's Eastern Caribbean itinerary to a Western Caribbean one. We know this change may be disappointing, and we are truly sorry. Pre-booked shore excursions will be refunded to your original form of payment while onboard, and more detailed information can be found on royalcaribbean.com.
All other sailings: no other itineraries are impacted at this time.
If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to call 1-800-256-6649.

TPR's table shuffleboard pro

Postby Coastinmiller » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:12 am

It's not a cruise ship, but this is the best thread for it and the building method is the same. Currently dock mounting the shaft alley unit of the largest container ship ever to be built in the US. It's also one of the heaviest pieces we have ever picked up here at the yard weighing in at 710 MTON.
IMG_4175.JPG

Postby Mr Stratosphere » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:57 am

ROYAL CARIBBEAN ITINERARY UPDATES

September 5, 2017 at NOON EDT (next update today at 6 PM EDT)

We are closely monitoring Hurricane Irma’s path and its potential impact to our current and upcoming sailings. Royal Caribbean’s Chief Meteorologist, James Van Fleet, is closely tracking the storm’s progress, and the current forecast is as follows:

Hurricane Irma is a category 5 hurricane with sustained winds around the center at 180 mph and is currently located about 225 miles east of Antigua. The storm continues its westerly track at 14 mph. While it is difficult to predict the path of the storm outside of 72 hours, it is likely that Irma will impact Florida at some point this weekend.

In an effort to give you advance notice of any changes while also taking into account the most accurate forecast information, we will be providing updates on any impacted sailings no later than 2 days in advance of departure. Based on that timeline, we will provide you additional information on Friday departures as part of our 6 pm update today.

The following sailings are departing as scheduled:

Adventure of the Seas: September 9 Southern Caribbean cruise

Grandeur of the Seas: September 7 New England/Canada cruise

Liberty of the Seas: September 10 Western Caribbean cruise

Serenade of the Seas: September 10 New England/Canada cruise

Vision of the Seas: September 7 New England/Canada cruise

The following sailings are currently being evaluated and we will provide our next update at 6 PM EDT:

Allure of the Seas: September 10 Western Caribbean cruise

Anthem of the Seas: September 9 Bermuda cruise

Empress of the Seas: September 9 Cuba cruise

Enchantment of the Seas: September 8 Bahamas cruise

Harmony of the Seas: September 9 Eastern Caribbean cruise

Majesty of the Seas: September 8 Bahamas cruise

Oasis of the Seas: September 10 Eastern Caribbean cruise

For all guests currently sailing with us, the Captain and team onboard will be providing you specific updates at noon and 6 pm daily, and of course will update you immediately if anything changes.

Postby Mr Stratosphere » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:13 pm

ITINERARY UPDATES

September 5, 2017 at 6:00 PM EDT (next update tomorrow at noon EDT)

We are closely monitoring Hurricane Irma’s path and its potential impact to our current and upcoming sailings. Royal Caribbean’s Chief Meteorologist, James Van Fleet, is closely tracking the storm’s progress, and the current forecast is as follows:

Hurricane Irma is a category 5 hurricane with sustained winds around the center at 185 mph and is currently located about 210 miles east of Antigua. The storm continues its westerly track at 15 mph. While it is difficult to predict the path of the storm at this time, it is likely that Irma will impact Florida at some point this weekend.

In an effort to give you advance notice of any changes while also taking into account the most accurate forecast information, we will be providing updates on any impacted sailings no later than 2 days in advance of departure.

The following sailings are departing as scheduled:

Adventure of the Seas: September 9 Southern Caribbean cruise

Grandeur of the Seas: September 7 New England/Canada cruise

Liberty of the Seas: September 10 Western Caribbean cruise

Serenade of the Seas: September 10 New England/Canada cruise

Vision of the Seas: September 7 New England/Canada cruise

The following sailings are canceled:

Enchantment of the Seas: September 8 Bahamas cruise

Majesty of the Seas: September 8 Bahamas cruise

We are very sorry for the impact this storm has had on your vacation and please know that we made the decision with the safety and comfort of our guests and crew in mind. The cruise fare and fees will be 100% refunded to the original form of payment, and we are also offering a 25% future cruise credit, based on the cruise fare, if a new cruise is booked in the next 30 days. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to call 1-800-256-6649.

The following sailings are currently being evaluated and we will provide our next update at noon EDT tomorrow:

Allure of the Seas: September 10 Western Caribbean cruise

Anthem of the Seas: September 9 Bermuda cruise

Empress of the Seas: September 9 Cuba cruise

Harmony of the Seas: September 9 Eastern Caribbean cruise

Oasis of the Seas: September 10 Eastern Caribbean cruise

For all guests currently sailing with us, the Captain and team onboard will be providing you specific updates at 1 pm and 615 pm daily, and of course will update you immediately if anything changes.

Should we need to make additional itinerary changes or cancel an additional sailing to avoid the storm, we will reach out to guests directly, as well as update our website and social media feeds immediately. Please know that the safety and comfort of our guests are our top priority and we will continue to provide regular updates throughout the week.

For more frequent updates, please follow our meteorologist on Twitter @JamesVanFleet or visit the Royal Caribbean Facebook page.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!