Busch Gardens Tampa Bay (BGT Discussion Thread)

P. 840: Howl-O-Scream 2019 Opening Night report posted!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 8 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Site Admin

Re: Busch Gardens Tampa Bay (BGT Discussion Thread)

Postby SharkTums » Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:24 pm

Orlando schools are also still off on Monday. I don't think it will be bad though as people are over the holidays and have stuff to do to prepare for going back to real life!

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Postby ZeroG001 » Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:39 pm

Went today for the first time and had a blast! We got there at opening and went straight to Cheetah Hunt, which we walked on to. It was such a fun ride and definitely top 3 in the park for me. Wasn't expecting it to be as long as it was and the scenary around the track was awesome.

After that we went towards the back of the park and walked onto Tigris, ShieKra, Kumba, Falcon’s Fury, and Scorpion all before going to have lunch outside the park! ShieKra was incredible in the front row! I'd rank it second out of the dive machines I've been in (Griffon #1, Valravn #3). Falcon's Fury was also a terrifingly unique experience!

Once we got back around 1:30ish the crowds started to pick up a little bit, we took the Sky Ride to the back of the park. This had about a 20 minute wait. Thankfully we had done *almost* everything that the crowds had flocked to by this point. So we waited about 10 mins each for the rapids and the log ride before taking the train back to the front of the park to ride Montu, which had a station-length wait. Rode it twice, once in the very front and once in the very back, and LOVED IT! Easily my favorite invert now! I was surprised at how smooth it was while also being intense!

Unfortunately we decided to skip Cobra’s Curse because it was hovering around a 60-85 minute wait all afternoon and was periodically going down so we didn’t want to use up that much of the time we had left for it. Instead, we opted for rerides on Cheetah Hunt (25 min wait) and ShieKra (40 min wait) before catching the shuttle back to our hotel in Orlando.

Tomorrow we'll be hitting SeaWorld, which will also be a first for all of us! Thank you to everyone for the tips on this visit to Busch Gardens! :)
Coaster count:
125 (111 steel, 14 wood)

Top 5:
I305 | El Toro | Maverick | Twisted Colossus | Montu

Nuthin' better than a naked donkey!

Postby JJLehto » Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:28 pm

So stoked an RMC, a huge one, will be just a few hours from me!
Speaking of, is there any vague idea/guesses on an opening?

I will be in St Pete early March so it'd be pretty sweet to pop over to BGT. Though I will be going when it opens regardless :b
Top 10 Steel: Steel Vengeance, Wicked Cyclone, Fury 325, Millennium Force, Storm Chaser, Skyrush, Maverick, Goliath (SFoG), I305, Lightning Run
Top 10 Wood: Voyage, Phoenix, El Toro, Boulder Dash, Mystic Timbers, Lightning Racer, Grizzly (KD), Legend, Raven, Beast

I own the website www.donkey.com

Postby bgtlover » Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:11 pm

^The only reliable thing I've heard is in April. They still have quite a bit left to do. I don't think the track will be done for at least another month.
Coaster Count: 130
Top 10:

Have I mentioned how awesome donkeys are?

Postby tndank » Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:43 pm

I foresee a couple midweek trips down there next winter to ride the crap out of IG. Flights down to Orlando and Tampa have been dirt cheap this year. Can't wait for it to open. This year will be my first trips down to that area.
https://tinyurl.com/qr839y4 - Donate to a charity and help me ride Orion.

Counts I305 as 32 credits...

Postby A.J. » Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:23 am

Just so everyone knows how Iron Gwazi is shaping up, here's Jason McLemore's latest drone shot from outside the park...

Myself, I'll probably pop on down to check it out here in a few weeks, in between maintenance closures.
Data entry nut for the official TPR coaster poll! https://coasterpoll.com/
The opinions that I post on this forum do not necessarily represent those of the company I work for.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby coasterbill » Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:34 am

I read that as "Jason McClure". I thought he was out there spying on the competition with a drone. :lol:

Postby coasterbill » Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:27 am

This is a little over a week old but I'm surprised that I missed it considering it was reported by a Tampa Bay area news station and not some random enthusiast blog. There's not a ton of info here but given the way this company has been spending money lately this could really be anything from something extremely small and uninteresting to a multi-million dollar coaster and nobody would even be surprised.

Busch Gardens Files Permits for Possible New Attraction
By Ashley Carter Tampa
PUBLISHED 4:23 PM ET Jan. 07, 2020

TAMPA, Fla. – Busch Gardens could be working on another new attraction.

Busch Gardens files permits for "Project Jethro"
Plans call for demolition, grading work near the old Rhino Rally
Busch Gardens is getting ready to open Iron Gwazi coaster this spring

The theme park filed permits at the end of 2019 for a project called "BGT Project Jethro."

The plans involve demolition and grading work in a 1.83-acre area near the former site of Rhino Rally, a safari tour attraction. According to documents included in the filing, work would also include the "removal of 18,663 square feet of impervious area and construction of 6,944 feet of impervious attraction/walk area."

A closer look at the plans reveals that two new pathways will connect to an existing pathway in the area. An existing "story building" in the area as well as a wood deck and steps will be demolished.

Busch Gardens submitted plans in November for "Project Jethro." (Photo courtesy of SWFWMD)

The permits come as Busch Gardens prepares for the spring debut of Iron Gwazi, which will be the fastest and steepest hybrid coaster in the world. Busch Gardens' water park, Adventure Island, is also getting a new attraction called Solar Vortex, which will be a dual tailspin slide.

Busch Gardens hasn't said what "Project Jethro" will be.

Link

Seas:
Last edited by coasterbill on Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:31 am.

Postby DoinItForTheFame » Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:09 am

^ Nice find!!! I’m interested to see what comes of this!
Bigger is not always better.

Postby Hilltopper39 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:12 am

I think another site that shall not be named (because I forgot what it was haha) mentioned a rumor for an S&S Screamin Swing, which would make sense considering BGW just recently installed one. I've only been on a few of those rides but they're always fun and would be an awesome addition to BGT, and in that are over near the Savannah I'm sure could have some cool themeing and views.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!