Busch Gardens Tampa Bay (BGT Discussion Thread)

P. 840: Howl-O-Scream 2019 Opening Night report posted!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Busch Gardens Tampa Bay (BGT Discussion Thread)

Postby DILinator » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:25 pm

^Exactly! I honestly don't know... It just seemed like a strange decision from a continuity standpoint (there's the writer/filmmaker in me flaring up!), but again, I like the end result, regardless of whatever Gwazi actually means! :lol:

Top 10 Coasters! 1.Steel Vengeance 2.Fury 3.Millennium Force 4.Maverick 5. Twisted Timbers 6. The Voyage 7. Lightning Rod 8.Storm Chaser 9.El Toro 10. Leviathan Honorable Mentions: Phantom's Revenge, Behemoth, Mako, Ravine Flyer II, Shivering Timbers, Kraken Underrated Coasters: Steel - Yukon Striker, Wood - White Lightning

What would donkeys be like on the moon?

Postby pǝʇɹǝʌuı » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:50 pm

Canobie Coaster wrote:Do we know if Gwazi is actually a real fable or did Busch Gardens just make it up? I tried Googling it and every single result brings back the coaster. If Busch did make it up, they're making their own rules here. :lol:

:omg: That's a twist...

Yeah, so there's really no reason to ever look 6 pages into a google search, but if you search the word "gwazi," every single result on the first 6 pages (I'm not looking any further) uses the word in reference to the roller coaster. Absolutely nothing about African folklore.

Something even more fun to try, type "gwazi" into google translate. Translate the word from Swahili to English. According to google, it translates to "gum." That explains the purple track... :lmao:

Postby Canobie Coaster » Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:07 am

^ I only had two pages of results since Google gave me that "similar results have been omitted" message.

They could call this the fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo ringy dingy ding-a-ling dings for all I care. I just care they're getting an RMC that will almost certainly be awesome.
Top 3 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Coaster (PNE Playland)
Top 3 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Untamed, Expedition GeForce
Most Recent Trip Reports- Rainbow MagicLand & Gardaland

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby coneyislandchris » Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:52 am

Iron Gwazi looks fantastic, haters complaining about the name are dumb, and I can't wait to get back to BGT to ride this beast (and take the kids, this time!).

Asking the question since it seems to have been glossed over... the new waterslide? Solar Vortex? What exactly is a "dual tailspin" waterslide? Anyone know? Even the official site doesn't seem to have much info.
That coaster dad [336] and that coaster kiddo [216]. Road trip buddies for life.
Dad's faves: Fury 325. Phantom's Revenge. Twisted Timbers. Intimidator 305. El Toro.

Kiddo's faves: Talon. Alpengeist. Raptor. Twisted Timbers. Fury 325.

Counts I305 as 32 credits...

Postby A.J. » Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:20 am

coneyislandchris wrote:Asking the question since it seems to have been glossed over... the new waterslide? Solar Vortex? What exactly is a "dual tailspin" waterslide? Anyone know? Even the official site doesn't seem to have much info.

WhiteWater and ProSlide seem to kind of have this back-and-forth where one company comes up with a new thing and the other puts their own spin on it.

In this case, the Tailspin is Whitewater's newest slide element that's kind of a mix between their Constrictor slide and Proslide's Flying Saucer. It's an open, very tight diving turn sized for large / long rafts.

The above photo is from Whirlin' Waters in North Charleston, South Carolina. https://www.whitewaterwest.com/products/tailspin/
Data entry nut for the official TPR coaster poll! https://coasterpoll.com/
Check out my theme park 3D visualization portfolio!
The opinions that I post on this forum do not necessarily represent those of the company I work for.

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:24 am

^ That looks very fun.

the ghost seems to think there is a "Donkey Fairy"

Postby WolfBobs » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:25 am

pǝʇɹǝʌuı wrote:
Canobie Coaster wrote:Do we know if Gwazi is actually a real fable or did Busch Gardens just make it up? I tried Googling it and every single result brings back the coaster. If Busch did make it up, they're making their own rules here. :lol:

Yeah, so there's really no reason to ever look 6 pages into a google search, but if you search the word "gwazi," every single result on the first 6 pages (I'm not looking any further) uses the word in reference to the roller coaster. Absolutely nothing about African folklore.

Something even more fun to try, type "gwazi" into google translate. Translate the word from Swahili to English. According to google, it translates to "gum." That explains the purple track... :lmao:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_legendary_creatures_(G)
Nothing on here either. So, it seems like a lot of enthusiasts are getting butt hurt over a name/mythical beast BGT MAY have completely made up. lol That is kinda hilarious to me. :)

Macaroni and Donkey

Postby dmh1079 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:53 am

My god! An amazing park with an amazing coaster lineup keeps getting better. Can't wait to see the full POV and start hearing reviews next spring. We've already been planning a Florida trip for 2021. This makes me even more hyped.

Also, purple and green has always been one of my favorite color combinations so that will look great.

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby CoasterAuditor » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:56 am

I really need to get BGT and SWO soon!
I'm an accountant that's obsessed with roller coasters
Knoebels > Everywhere

1. El Toro 2. Intimidator 305 3. Phoenix 4. Millennium Force 5. New Texas Giant

118 Coasters
16 Parks

Postby RAWKIN_coaster38 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:52 am

DBru wrote:91* on a 200+ foot drop with full length trains? I’m in disbelief. And I can’t wait.

Given the first drops on many of the RMCs are some of the most intense moments of airtime of any coasters, Iron Gwazi's drop should pack a PUNCH. :br I'm super into great drops (El Toro and Skyrush are some of my favorite coasters) so I'm super psyched about this facet of Iron Gwazi!

DILinator wrote:As for the name, and apparent theme change, it absolutely is a little puzzling! While I LOVE going with a Crocodile theme, and also appreciate the tribute to Gwazi (which has always been a cool name), it does end up seeming kind of odd, given what Gwazi is supposed to refer to. Regardless of that, however, in the grand scheme of things, the colors are cool, the logo is cool, and I'm sure this thing is going to ride beyond cool, which relegates all of the name/theme issues to minor semantics, ultimately unimportant. Iron Gwazi is going to be a special coaster, at a special park, with a lot of other great coasters, rides, and attractions, not to mention the fantastic animals!

Also, Iron Gwazi will be closest to the current location of the gators at the park. I wonder if they'll even relocate some of them even closer to the ride.

WolfBobs wrote:
pǝʇɹǝʌuı wrote:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_legendary_creatures_(G)
Nothing on here either. So, it seems like a lot of enthusiasts are getting butt hurt over a name/mythical beast BGT MAY have completely made up. lol That is kinda hilarious to me. :)

Yeah I did the same thing as you all and came up with only quotes about BGT. It is very curious. However, even if they made it up, they marketed it as meaning one thing and now will be marketing it as another thing. Not that the average parkgoer will remember/know/care.

And in a few weeks/months none of us will care either. A chunk of us will call it "IG", some of us just call it Gwazi, and someone will inevitably make an even worse pet name for the ride. :lol: I give it one more week.
“If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?”

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!