Busch Gardens Tampa Bay (BGT Discussion Thread)

P. 840: Howl-O-Scream 2019 Opening Night report posted!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 8 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Re: Busch Gardens Tampa Bay (BGT Discussion Thread)

Postby jschmitty » Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:12 pm

CarolinaJay wrote:To keep in line with their African inspired names, such as Montu, Sheikra, Kumba, etc., a better name would have been Twisted Mamba since Mamba in Swahili means crocodile and their theming this after a crocodile. There's no sense in naming it Iron Gwazi (NOT saying I don't like the name because I do) when it's being themed after a crocodile and Gwazi was themed around being a hybrid of a tiger/lion creature haha but, I do love that they're paying homage to the original coaster by keeping it's original name, nonetheless. I'm totally digging what we could see of the trains and the logo looks awesome, too! That purple track with the green trains is going to be a sick contrast. This is gonna be a HUGE hitter for BGT! It looks bad ass for sure. I'll definitely be making my way down there next year!

Totally agree. The crocodile doesn't make sense. Iron Gwazi isn't a bad name, but at least make the logo an iron looking version of the original Gwazi logo. The logo for Iron Gwazi looks so low quality. As a graphic designer of almost 20 years experience, including designing for Orlando theme parks - I'm disappointed in the logo. Like, all their other coaster logos look awesome. I don't understand what happened with the marketing for this.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby coasterbill » Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:20 pm

Nobody is going to care about the name or logo once the ride opens. People just get used to it, associate it with the ride and move on. I know I've used this example before but there is currently an honest-to-god ride at an honest-to-god theme park in Ohio named "Mystic Timbers" and people are just totally okay with that and act like it's normal and it's a normal and fitting name for a thrill ride. Once you get used to the name, nobody cares or even thinks about it (good or bad).
Last edited by coasterbill on Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:23 pm.

Postby RAWKIN_coaster38 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:30 pm

^Exactly. And even though most enthusiasts hate the name "Cheetah Hunt", in my summer spent at Busch Gardens I don't recall even once hearing a camper, employee, or GP say, "That name sucks, they should have gone with something more in theme."
“If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?”

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:31 pm

FFS people. They announce this super kick ass looking coaster and everyone is bitching about the name. OK, fine, the name isn't amazing, BUT... I'm sure it wasn't an easy decision of "going with something totally new" like Steel Vengeance or sticking to the roots of the coaster and tying that in with the original name. Honestly, we have been all been calling it "RMC Gwazi" or "Gwazi 2020" for almost TWO YEARS now, so why change that?

You also have to keep in mind your "average" park guest. People who are not in the know, or people who may have not visited the park in ten years are going to look at that wooden structure and think that is "Gwazi." So at least keeping the name Gwazi alive people will associate the wood structure with the location of that ride, just from a logistics standpoint. Giving it a new name like "Iron Gwazi" at least helps communicate "It's not the same Gwazi."

You have to remember that parks make decision based on many MANY different layers of guests that visit the park. Some not so educated about rides than other.

Case in point, even today, some of the "non-coaster press" were asking serious questions like "I don't see how this is different. Tell me what makes this different from the original ride." "Why is this not considered a wood coaster when it looks like a wood coaster." And these people are FROM THE MEDIA. So what do you think paying guests might think?

So before you go bitching about the name, just stop and think about WHY some of the choices were made. Sure, they probably could have come up with a better name, but who cares? The ride is most likely going to become the best ride in the park! Isn't that what is most important?

Beware of the freeze-dried donkey!

Postby RollerManic » Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:45 pm

I think the name is dumb too and I also think that Steel Vengeance is a dumb name ... but Steel Vengeance is my #3 coaster overall and I think that Iron Gwazi has the potential to be an even better coaster (dare I say), so who cares?

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:49 pm

People, if you are inclined to get worked up, then before you get all worked up, take a minute to remember:

boldikus wrote:I can't believe there's gonna be a giant kickass RMC at the same park as Cheetah Hunt, Kumba, Montu, Falcons Fury and Sheikra.

This is what matters. This is why we go to theme parks. Theme parks are fun.

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby RCjunkie » Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:54 pm

robbalvey wrote:FFS people. They announce this super kick ass looking coaster and everyone is bitching about the name. ...... Sure, they probably could have come up with a better name, but who cares? The ride is most likely going to become the best ride in the park! Isn't that what is most important?

Exactly. If your complaining about the name of a coaster you have missed the entire point.

On another note, very excited to ride this. Considering what RMC did for that torture machine called Mean Steak and how great that turned out this looks like it will be on the same scale or possibly even better. But hey, let's b*tch about the name some more. ;)

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:17 pm

RCjunkie wrote:Considering what RMC did for that torture machine called Mean Steak

And Hurler! People forget that in the last few years of Hurler that thing was UNRIDABLE!!! And considering that I still feel like when Busch Gardens Tampa closed Gwazi all they did was IMPROVE the overall quality of their coasters by removing it from the line-up. And now? Not only is Tigris a super FUN coaster for this year, but Iron Gwazi is just going to help make BGT have one of the best overall coaster collections in the world. I mean, there isn't a "bad" coaster, not anywhere close, in their line-up of rides.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby MrE12AX7 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:39 pm

DoinItForTheFame wrote:I’m still LOLing at it being 1ft taller than Steel Vengeance. :lol: :lol:

Steel Vengeance: 205 ft tall with a 90 degree drop.
Iron Gwazi: 206 ft tall with a 91 degree drop.
All Aboard the Steel Vengeance Hype Train!

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby anonymouscactus » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:57 pm

RCjunkie wrote:that torture machine called Mean Steak

Mmmm....

;)

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!