Busch Gardens Tampa Bay (BGT Discussion Thread)

P. 840: Howl-O-Scream 2019 Opening Night report posted!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 12 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Have I mentioned how awesome donkeys are?

Re: Busch Gardens Tampa Bay (BGT BGA Discussion Thread)

Postby Intamin_coyote » Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:47 pm

I've yet to ride any of the 'Sky Rocket' clones, but I hope to once I make I finally make out it to BGW someday. To me they look like pretty solid rides.

Or at least, allow me to say this....

It seems that there is a fine line between so-called "gimmicky/cookie-cutter" cloned coasters and what would could also just seen as an elaborate/top-notch flat ride.

Now yes, obviously this is objectively a coaster, but if it takes up about the same footprint and cost about as much a good flat ride, then why must it carry the denigrating label of 'gimmicky clone', as some would call it.

I mean, you're getting a damn 200ft RMC next year for crying out loud. They could have just given you nothing for 2019. :lol:

Founder of the Cult of Skank Mountain

Postby boldikus » Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:30 pm

hoppedup wrote:I can't imagine we'll need a full day at SWO, as we really only care about coasters. If we get coastered out, we may check out some animal stuff, though.

My lady and I just spent the equivalent of 2 full days (spread over 4) at SWO and never got bored. Granted she is not into coasters as much as me, and we did spend one of those days basically just doing the Food Fest all day with me throwing some rides in, but overall we LOVE the park and both agree its all worth checking out. I highly recommend Atlantis and Infinity Falls in addition to the coasters, but just know that on the latter you will get head-to-toe drenched. Its a great ride though!

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Canobie Coaster » Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:54 pm

hoppedup wrote:Hate to derail this thread, but just wanted to say I am stoked for my first visit to this park next Tuesday.

I don't really care about Sky Rocket II clones, but will be happy if Tigris takes people away from the other coasters' queues. We may be doing two days at BGT. I can't imagine we'll need a full day at SWO, as we really only care about coasters. If we get coastered out, we may check out some animal stuff, though.

Back on topic, we have four different Choice hotels lined up for our four nights in Tampa/Orlando area thanks to the heads up from TPR's resident troll, coasterbill. :lol:

If you only go for coasters, SeaWorld can be done in a half day. I did that my first visit, but all my subsequent visits have been full days. As great as SeaWorld's coasters are, the animal exhibits make it extra special.

Intamin_coyote wrote:I've yet to ride any of the 'Sky Rocket' clones, but I hope to once I make I finally make out it to BGW someday. To me they look like pretty solid rides.

Or at least, allow me to say this....

It seems that there is a fine line between so-called "gimmicky/cookie-cutter" cloned coasters and what would could also just seen as an elaborate/top-notch flat ride.

Now yes, obviously this is objectively a coaster, but if it takes up about the same footprint and cost about as much a good flat ride, then why must it carry the denigrating label of 'gimmicky clone', as some would call it.

I mean, you're getting a damn 200ft RMC next year for crying out loud. They could have just given you nothing for 2019. :lol:

Sky Rocket II's are one of the best clones out there. It has some awesome spots of airtime, great hangtime, and launches. Sure it's not as good as a custom Intamin, but these rides have a small footprint, are super reridable, and are a wet dream for marketing teams.
Top 3 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Coaster (PNE Playland)
Top 3 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Untamed, Expedition GeForce
Most Recent Trip Reports- Toverland & Walibi Holland

Have I mentioned how awesome donkeys are?

Postby Intamin_coyote » Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:30 pm

Canobie Coaster wrote: It has some awesome spots of airtime, great hangtime, and launches. Sure it's not as good as a custom Intamin, but these rides have a small footprint, are super reridable, and are a wet dream for marketing teams.

Case in point...

Too Fast For Comfort wrote:I got 9 laps in on Tigris yesterday.

:lol:

Can you see the donkey in my toast?

Postby Garet » Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:48 am

coasterbill wrote::lol: :lol: :lol: I don't know how this became the Bill appreciation thread but I'm cool with it.

Well I mean there was that time your avatar changed from the paratrooper so I didn't realize to stop to see your posts. ;)
I think this was in the dark time of 'Henry M' when I was scrolling past a lot for the sake of my sanity. ;)

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:21 pm

I rode Tigris today! Here's our full video with lots of different shots from different angles!
Last edited by robbalvey on Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:41 pm.

Postby bert425 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:10 pm

Great video, and your bubbly enthusiasm inf the "face/front" view is contagious. . . . I was grinning like a loon while watching that part.

Tigris really *looks* great! I prefer the colors on this, than on Tempesto.

a good fit for the park, in that space over there.
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/19fc64eae2ec826e3a662d1ff9f29ab9.jpg[/img][/url]

Beware of the freeze-dried donkey!

Postby JJLehto » Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:23 pm

I've always wanted to try one of these. They look fun. Tough to judge POVs but looks like decent whip-iness in the back.
But I will not drive 4 hours to BGT, partly to try this new coaster.
*Already planning trip*
Last edited by JJLehto on Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:28 pm.
Top 10 Steel: Steel Vengeance, Wicked Cyclone, Fury 325, Millennium Force, Storm Chaser, Skyrush, Maverick, Goliath (SFoG), I305, Lightning Run
Top 10 Wood: Voyage, Phoenix, El Toro, Boulder Dash, Mystic Timbers, Lightning Racer, Grizzly (KD), Legend, Raven, Beast

Postby thrillrider » Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:35 pm

Great video!

bummed I missed its opening by just a few days, but that gives me another reason to go back down there.
341 steel coasters
114 wood coasters

Postby DoinItForTheFame » Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:55 am

robbalvey wrote:I ride Tigris today! Here's our full video with lots of different shots from different angles!

Thanks Robb for the awesome footage!!

Can't wait to eventually give it a go! These clones are by far my favorite clones!! :br
Bigger is not always better.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!