Busch Gardens Tampa Bay (BGT Discussion Thread)

P. 833: Iron Gwazi video & info!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 12 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Macaroni and Donkey

Re: Busch Gardens Tampa Bay (BGT BGA Discussion Thread)

Postby ryder » Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:55 am

Hey there! I'm thinking of traveling to BGT for their Halloween event. I've been to the park before (back when Shriekra was the latest, so it's been a while), but never for Halloween.

I know their Halloween event in a separate ticket, but about how much does it cost? And I imagine it's probably very crowded... do they sell a "fast pass" type ticket? And if so, is it good for haunt mazes only, or haunt mazes and rides? If not, do they sell sort of "day/night" combo ticket? Because we'd like to do the park rides as well as the mazes, but would rather not pay for two separate tickets in one day.

I'd check the site myself, but it's so early in their season, they don't have any info on that posted yet, so I thought I'd ask from advice here to get an idea.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby coasterbill » Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:04 am

They do sell Quick Queue with an option to use it for rides and haunts.

The last time we went there was no combo ticket (though I wouldn't be shocked if this has changed), but if you hold a day ticket and a night ticket you don't have to leave the park. You can go to the restaurant in Pantopia and get a wristband and stay in the park. They keep the rides that will be operating for Howl O Scream open (Generally all of the coasters except for Scorpion and Falcons Fury) and you can ride those while you wait for Howl O Scream to start. Sometimes there are delays as they transfer additional trains on for Howl O Scream.

Enjoy! It's a great event.

Too Slow For Comfort

Postby Too Fast For Comfort » Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:04 pm

Intamin_coyote wrote:A sit-down coaster.

Lapbar restraints.

>90 degrees.

210 ft

W.
T.
F.

Mate.

You may not have been on many RMCs, Macks, or the new generation loopers, but once you get on them, you'll wonder why OSTRs were ever a thing in the first place. The restraints are much more freeing and comfortable, but they're just as secure as an OTSR is. With the way that you're sitting, there's no way you could ever get out. And considering the fact that the RMCs actually do have high risk elements, while most B&M coasters (other than the hypers) are just pure vertical G's, its even more head scratching as to why the non-hypers all have OTSRs.

I'm also not a huge hater on the comfort collars. The collars are unnecessary, yes, but they're not as bad as straight up classic, clunky OTSR's. So I think that Tigris should still give some good hangtime.

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Postby BlahBlahson » Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:06 pm

My favorite options at BGT Howl o Scream are either Fright Feast or VIP Guided, for what you get.

Vip Guided started last year at $99 for the lowest priced nights. It included 3 hours of guided front of line to the houses, included alcohol, and including the ticket itself. That's cheaper than just the express passes for Universal HHN most of the time.

Fright Feast is what I've gotten 4 years running. Last year it was $33 after taxes, you also need to buy HOS ticket. You can enter the park 1 hour prior to regular park closing (time to do the Safari train or a coaster), then you have an open buffet in Pantopia Grille for 1 hour, and a mini-performance of the Fiends Show. Then you get 1.5 hours of Front of the Line Access to every Haunted House, I was able to do 5 out of 6 houses twice during that timeframe, so basically zero wait for all of them. Honestly I think Fright Feast is the best value of anything I've ever purchased in a theme park. You can do almost the whole event in 2 hours and get food, then the rest of the night is extremely chill.
Last edited by BlahBlahson on Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:28 pm.
Remember: Get out there and RIDE!

Counts I305 as 32 credits...

Postby A.J. » Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:55 pm

Too Fast For Comfort wrote:And considering the fact that the RMCs actually do have high risk elements, while most B&M coasters (other than the hypers) are just pure vertical G's, its even more head scratching as to why the non-hypers all have OTSRs.

It's not just about preventing people from "flying out" - in many cases, it's about keeping the riders' bodies in place and upright. If you were to ride Intimidator 305 without the vests, what condition would your back and neck be in when the ride was over? Or Olympia Looping, or the Edmonton Mindbender, with insanely-fast transitions to forces of over 5 Gs, without the shoulder bars? Or a ride where you hang over the edge, but without that vest or shoulder harness that your body can safely fall into?

I would argue that B&M coasters' heavy positive G forces are exactly what necessitates the use of their vest harnesses, for the above reason. And for the coasters that don't necessarily need them, why should B&M waste all of their resources developing a brand-new seat, restraint, and related mechanics when what they already have will do the job just fine?

Also, for B&M's existing coasters, like Kumba, Montu, and SheiKra, a conversion to a more modern, possibly free-bodied lap restraint is virtually impossible due to the need for more space per seat (since the bars stick out on either side, as opposed to being strictly forward then down, like a traditional shoulder harness).

I'm not saying you're wrong here, but a lap restraint on its own, overhead or otherwise, isn't always the correct solution. Rocky Mountain obviously knows how to design a coaster that is comfortable (or easy) enough in the positive-G sections to not have to worry about riders' bodies curling forward.
Last edited by A.J. on Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:57 pm.
Data entry nut for the official TPR coaster poll! https://coasterpoll.com/
Check out my theme park 3D visualization portfolio!
The opinions that I post on this forum do not necessarily represent those of the company I work for.

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:56 pm

^^ I'll take Door #2 (Fright Feast) please? =)
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

Macaroni and Donkey

Postby ryder » Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:19 am

BlahBlahson wrote:My favorite options at BGT Howl o Scream are either Fright Feast or VIP Guided, for what you get.

Vip Guided started last year at $99 for the lowest priced nights. It included 3 hours of guided front of line to the houses, included alcohol, and including the ticket itself. That's cheaper than just the express passes for Universal HHN most of the time.

Fright Feast is what I've gotten 4 years running. Last year it was $33 after taxes, you also need to buy HOS ticket. You can enter the park 1 hour prior to regular park closing (time to do the Safari train or a coaster), then you have an open buffet in Pantopia Grille for 1 hour, and a mini-performance of the Fiends Show. Then you get 1.5 hours of Front of the Line Access to every Haunted House, I was able to do 5 out of 6 houses twice during that timeframe, so basically zero wait for all of them. Honestly I think Fright Feast is the best value of anything I've ever purchased in a theme park. You can do almost the whole event in 2 hours and get food, then the rest of the night is extremely chill.

That's some great advice! But I know I'd also want to do many of the rides (since I haven't been to this park since Shriekra)... and I'd imagine the ride lines are huge? Definitely want to also do Falcon's Fury, and CoasterBill was saying that's closed during Howl o Scream (Cheetah Hunt is also a must). Or is there a way to also add ride FoL?

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby coasterbill » Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:23 am

No, Falcon's Fury is open for Howl O Scream (unless it's broken which I mean... probably). The ride lineup is generally all adult coasters (except for Scorpion) and Falcon's Fury. Everything else is usually closed except for U Banga Banga Bumper Cars where they usually do some zombie thing.

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby Dombot » Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:44 am

coasterbill wrote:The ride lineup is generally all adult coasters (except for Scorpion)

Correction: Scorpion has been open the past two years I've been to the event. Maybe I'm just lucky, but it definitely has operated during HOS in the past and I wouldn't count it out. :)
1. Intimidator 305 2. Kumba 3. Twisted Timbers 4. Goliath (SFoG) 5. Mako
6. Twisted Cyclone 7. Alpengeist 8. Mine Blower 9. Montu 10. Incredible Hulk

"If you trip me I will crumble and fall because I am a poorly structured building" ~Carson King

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby djcoastermark » Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:52 am

Helpful hint. We do this and it works for us. Get the early entry. If you get there early enough you can get on the skyride and Scorpion before the "Shutdown" We didn't do the show/food in the big hall but instead chose to do a few rides with little or no wait. Head to the front of the park when the houses open as these will fill up fast and work towards the back of the park. You will be able to hit all the houses early with very little waits and then have time to ride all night long with very little waits. The ride lines later in the eve are very short as most people are going for the haunts. To me, I love riding the coasters at 1 or 2 in the morning with little waits as opposed to waiting in line for an hour for a house.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!