Busch Gardens Tampa Bay (BGT BGA Discussion Thread)

P. 829: New Howl-O-Scream 2019 details announced!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 4 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
AWESOME-O-SAURUS!!!

Postby Homer » Mon Apr 04, 2005 2:39 pm

The Immelman looks like it would give you some hang time at least.
-My butt has touched 112 roller coasters, how unfortunate.

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Postby Jose Eber » Mon Apr 04, 2005 4:14 pm

I guess making a re-creation and 'ace'ing all my physics courses in college led me to imagine a fairly accurate depiction (after looking at that video).

I knew they'd have to break like a beeyotch for that 2nd drop.

Remember folks -- that's a 24 person train === serious momentum. Its got the pacing of a normal coaster

I think it will be fun, but maybe not as intense as some hope for?

Jose "my wife actually wants to visit Bush Gardens soon" Eber

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Mon Apr 04, 2005 4:53 pm

Jose Eber wrote:I think it will be fun, but maybe not as intense as some hope for?

That's exactly it.

--Robb "Was hoping it would be the next Kumba, but it looks more like the next Silver Bullet." Alvey

teh krackin!!1

Postby Three » Mon Apr 04, 2005 5:10 pm

I never thought SheiKra was going to be terrifically intense in the first place -- I'm surprised anyone did.

It didn't seem like that was the concept they were going for anyway.

Sure, it's got two rather intense drops. But from the promotional video, everything between and beyond seemed to be taken rather leisurely. From what I gathered, the intent was to scare you silly with the drops, and then lull you into a sort of false sense of relief before the next one. Letting you catch your breath between elements.

It seemed to me from the beginning that "fun" was the centerpoint of their vision. I mean, look at the water landing toward the end. It's sort of a new skool meets old skool thing.

First and foremost, this is a drop coaster. As such, the drops are supposed to be the scary part. Everything else is merely there for the purposes of enjoyment -- not sheer intensity of forces.

Call me crazy, but I still think this will be an awesome coaster. Maybe not what you wanted, but so what? The park already has two coasters chock full of brute force. Let's see how this novel ideal of "fun" works out for a change, hmm?

Uber Designer

Postby Real » Mon Apr 04, 2005 5:11 pm

I think the video FPS is misleading.

How fast were you guys expecting it to go? Frankly it looked even faster than I anticipated and if you had smoother video (better compression too) it can totally alter the rides perception of speed.

But you guys know that, you are video guru's :)

Three wrote:The park already has two coasters chock full of brute force. Let's see how this novel ideal of "fun" works out for a change, hmm?

I really hope you arent talking about Kumba and Montu...cause Montu was one of the weakest rides Ive been on. I didnt feel much force, if any on it. Gwazi kicked the crap out of it. I got airtime and a huge dose of laterals on Gwazi. Just wanting to make sure cause if Montu is intense...Kumba must be off the charts. Kumba ripped through its elements while Montu meandered through at best. I still stand by Raptor as better than Montu. (montu was running as usual, trims on medium and mcb on hard)

BEST SHOW ON TV PERIOD

Postby XLRBR » Mon Apr 04, 2005 5:22 pm

Canobie Fan wrote:to bad IAAPA isnt in FL this year...:( I wont get to ride it until 2008 or so...

Where will it be then?

Davon "definetley not in socal" Dorsey

P.S. Sorry about spelling.
Everyone has a photographic memory.
Some just don't have film.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby rollercoaster_fan_1 » Mon Apr 04, 2005 5:36 pm

Maybe I'll also be able to do a quick detour to BGT...lol So that adds to the list of Cedar Point and Schlitterban(sp er.) :roll:

I taste better with A1

Postby TheStig » Mon Apr 04, 2005 5:37 pm

^ ^You dident feel anything on Montu? I find that hard to beleave. The loop and immlimen (sp?) are both intence and great, the barrell roll packs a punch, and the trims before the awsomley intense bat wing hardly tap the train now! The floater air time into the MCBR is fun, and the MCBR isnt THAT badly braked, the loop and the corkscrew barrell roll thingy is intence along with the helix into the entrance to the break run. Ive ridden montu 331 times and still think it packs a punch, considering that Kumba is in the same park and is more intence.

As for sheikra, it just doesnt look right in the video that it would go that slow after seeing the track in person. The caresel turn above the smoke house looks a little slow, and the little trim coming out of the water section made me un happy, but the layout is still great IMO. I look forward to riding it and I pray to god that it will be more intence than Silver Bullet.

Colin"sticking up for my montu!"C

Uber Designer

Postby Real » Mon Apr 04, 2005 6:24 pm

colincoon wrote:^ ^You dident feel anything on Montu? I find that hard to beleave. The loop and immlimen (sp?) are both intence and great, the barrell roll packs a punch, and the trims before the awsomley intense bat wing hardly tap the train now! The floater air time into the MCBR is fun, and the MCBR isnt THAT badly braked, the loop and the corkscrew barrell roll thingy is intence along with the helix into the entrance to the break run. Ive ridden montu 331 times and still think it packs a punch, considering that Kumba is in the same park and is more intence.

Thats right. The loop was a loop...nothing untypical about it, back or front.

Immelman did what I expected, floater. Its not SUPPOSED to be intense, immelmans should deliver imo floater air at the top with the rotation feeling. The zero g IMO was taken a touch too fast actually, taking away the Zero G feeling and making it more of a speed roll.
The Batwing was the only remotely intense part but still, friction trims suck.

As for the brake on the MCB, we came to a screeching hault. I think we went from like 30 to 5mph. From there that loop underground isnt any more intense than the first. And I must say the rest is quite boring. The turn around is slow and the wingover, while awesome from the front seat, doesnt whip as much as Raptors or BTR's.

I really find the second half of Montu to just be kinda blah. I would rather have a wingover than a loop, its MUCH more dynamic from a design/artistic standpoint. I think with trims off the ride would be hella intense but its been neutered so badly.

I know its not that intense because I had very high hopes from all the things people said, much like what you said. It just totally did not deliver at all for me. Not quite as bad as Raging Bull (ultimate disappointment forme) but it was close. Kumba on the other hand was WAY better than I expected. So was Gwazi and it wasnt even racing.

With that being said, Montu was still VERY fun. Thats my analytical - pick - it - apart review. I dont like to do that but I do for that ride and Raging Bull because I expected so much but go so little.

Sorry to side track topic.

Is that a giant golf ball?

Postby alpengeistdude321 » Mon Apr 04, 2005 6:52 pm

That darn thing takes forever to drop, it almost seems a little excessive and people will forget they are on a coaster when your sitting in the 3rd row.

That splashdown looks fun, once they get the water in...
-John

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!