Busch Gardens Tampa Bay (BGT Discussion Thread)

P. 840: Howl-O-Scream 2019 Opening Night report posted!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 5 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Donkeys are my way of life!

Re: Busch Gardens Tampa Bay (BGT BGA Discussion Thread)

Postby willh51 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:56 pm

I was kind of thinking the video just replayed the same drop with different levels of zoom. But if they really dropped 3x+ like that then you guys are probably right about testing a safety feature.

I'd expect a few hipccups with a prototype like this. That seat maneuvering feature has got to be complex from an engineering standpoint. And the level of tilt far exceeded my expectations. It looks s**t-your-pants awesome!
1. Intimidator 305 2. Maverick 3. Bizarro at SFNE 4. Millennium Force 5. Raptor
6. Batman & Robin: The Chiller (defunct) 7. Nitro 8. Apollo's Chariot 9. Afterburn (Carowinds) 10. Lightning Racer

Did my donkey title just change???

Postby leviathandude306 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:03 pm

Maximo37 wrote:
_koppen wrote:Since they kept dropping the ride with the non working seats I'm guessing nothing is broken/dangerous for the ride.
I hate to speculate, but I'm guessing that the adjustments are not a 100% for the broken seat, and that they will fix it quite easy.

I'm very impressed with the ride itself. I thought the tilting back would take longer, and start higher up. I also thought the ride would start breaking much earlier.

This is really starting to shape up to one of the absolute most scariest rides in the world.

I agree... I can't believe how fast those seats snap back into place! I was expecting a soft return to the upright position... Not a neck breaking snap! I cannot wait to experience this bad boy!!!

Wonder if the seatsare supposed to snap back that quick... Maybe the broken cylinder was caused by them tilting too quick?

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby Dom497 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:37 pm

leviathandude306 wrote:
Maximo37 wrote:
_koppen wrote:Since they kept dropping the ride with the non working seats I'm guessing nothing is broken/dangerous for the ride.
I hate to speculate, but I'm guessing that the adjustments are not a 100% for the broken seat, and that they will fix it quite easy.

I'm very impressed with the ride itself. I thought the tilting back would take longer, and start higher up. I also thought the ride would start breaking much earlier.

This is really starting to shape up to one of the absolute most scariest rides in the world.

I agree... I can't believe how fast those seats snap back into place! I was expecting a soft return to the upright position... Not a neck breaking snap! I cannot wait to experience this bad boy!!!

Wonder if the seatsare supposed to snap back that quick... Maybe the broken cylinder was caused by them tilting too quick?

Seats are supposed to start tilting back in the pre-brake section making it a smooth transition. Right now, the seats are tilting back in the actual braking section.

Which came first the turtle or the donkey?

Postby Locostitch » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:42 pm

Looks like they are trying to sell Scorpion.
image.jpg
Here is the listing

Alan Schilke is my "man crush".

Postby Woodie Warrior » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:50 pm

I believe that may be Twist and Shout at Loudoun Castle that's up for sale. It is similar to Scorpion, so that is most likely why they used a picture of it. Also, Scorpion did not open in 1983.

Edit: I also do not believe Scorpion would be available immediately. However, Twist and Shout has been closed since 2010, so it is probably all ready to be shipped.
Top 10: 1. The Voyage 2. Outlaw Run 3. Millennium Force 4. SkyRush 5. Maverick
6. El Toro 7. Fahrenheit 8. Storm Runner 9. Thunderbird 10. Powder Keg

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby DoinItForTheFame » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:11 pm

I'm calling it now!!! When Scorpion is sold it will be replaced with a Zac Spin... what... one can dream right??
Bigger is not always better.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby ka8911 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:13 pm

Dom497 wrote:
leviathandude306 wrote:
Maximo37 wrote:

Seats are supposed to start tilting back in the pre-brake section making it a smooth transition. Right now, the seats are tilting back in the actual braking section.

What makes you say that? I thought the idea was to have them kick out quickly in the brakes.That's what this video made it look like. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZslPXWVc-Hg

the ghost seems to think there is a "Donkey Fairy"

Postby The Yeti » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:41 pm

^From my understanding, not based on the person quoted by you and adding that I don't know enough about the ride to truly back this up, the seats are supposed to be tilting to an upright position during breaking and not during the pre-break section. The problem is that the seats are tilting back too quickly causing that arm to break loose, and they either need to adjust/reinforce something in the arm or somehow adjust the breaking to prevent that from happening.

On a side note, the seats tilting back to normal has to add extra positive g's while the ride is breaking. Perhaps a pre-break section is needed to make the ride comfortable. I honestly have no idea though...maybe there is no pre-break section and that area is actually intended to move the seats to an upright position.

I wish they would just lock those arms and let us ride it out face down all the way! Actually, I'll be plenty happy if the ride opens even without tilting seats!

Portugal needs more old-school B&M's!!!

Postby rcjp » Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:39 am

The Yeti wrote:On a side note, the seats tilting back to normal has to add extra positive g's while the ride is breaking. Perhaps a pre-break section is needed to make the ride comfortable. I honestly have no idea though...maybe there is no pre-break section and that area is actually intended to move the seats to an upright position.

I was actually wondering why those pre-brakes were needeed if the seats return to normal position during the "normal" brakes. But I guess the know what they're doing.
The Yeti wrote:I wish they would just lock those arms and let us ride it out face down all the way!

That would be very interesting..... :br
The Mr Freeze coasters should have speakers playing the sentence: "Let's kick some ice!" right before each launch

What does one say after riding a Batman clone?
The G force is strong with this one.

Yummy! I just ate donkey!

Postby Coasterguy21 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:10 am

Locostitch wrote:Looks like they are trying to sell Scorpion.

They definitely aren't trying to sell Scorpion. That listing has been up for awhile (I think I saw it sometime last year). I love Scorpion to death as it was one of my first rollercoasters but I'll admit that I had a mini-heart attack the first time I saw the picture on there too. However, I quickly calmed down when it was stated in the details that the coaster is for sale in Europe and to be purchased with Euros. That helped me realize that the photo is Scorpion, but the coaster for sale is not.

As for Falcon's Fury, I was planning on heading to the park next Friday to give it a whirl. Sucks that it has been delayed but things like this happen with prototypes. I'll still probably head there to get some laps in on Montu, SheiKra and all the other goodies! It'll be a tease seeing the tower there, but what can ya do?
This is my super lame signature where I will mention the words "roller coaster" and "theme park"

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!