Busch Gardens Tampa Bay (BGT Discussion Thread)

P. 840: Howl-O-Scream 2019 Opening Night report posted!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 6 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I teach at the school of donkey!

Re: Busch Gardens Tampa Bay (BGT BGA Discussion Thread)

Postby markysharky17 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:30 pm

This is magnificent. I'm hoping its not like match towers and breaks 2/3 of the way up the tower. What if they give you a choice of having some seats stay normal and some 90*. I'm almost certain that most of the GP will see this and go 'HELL NO!' But that won't stop me from rideing!
Coaster Count #188 Last coaster was Mako
1. Intimidator 305 2. Skyrush 3. El Toro 4. Maverick 5. Superman The Ride 6. Fury 325 7. Wicked Cyclone 8. StormRunner 9. Kinda Ka 10. Top Thrill Dragster 11. Manta (SWO) 12. Goliath (SFOG) 13. Montu 14. The Beast 15. Mako 16. Intimidator 17. Banshee
RMC+B&M+INTAMIN

Postby TheDarkMaxim » Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:56 pm

So from my quick timing.

Assuming breaking begins at the yellow section, drop time is ~3 seconds.

V=at or v=(9.81m/s/s)(3 seconds) gives you a speed of 29.43 m/s or 65.83mph.

Then a conservative estimate would be about 60mph when you hit the brakes.

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby Comeagain? » Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:27 pm

TheDarkMaxim wrote:So from my quick timing.

Assuming breaking begins at the yellow section, drop time is ~3 seconds.

V=at or v=(9.81m/s/s)(3 seconds) gives you a speed of 29.43 m/s or 65.83mph.

Then a conservative estimate would be about 60mph when you hit the brakes.

Compared to an ARM/Larson tower which reaches 47mph or Intamin's Giant Drop at almost 80pmh (according to their site).

Postby TheDarkMaxim » Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:11 pm

It's all just a function of height. The 80+ mph Intamin free falls are all in the ~400ft range. This is only a 310'ft drop. That being said it likely will have a higher drag coefficient doe to ride carriage design associated with this type. When KD's has. A 272 ft drop and hits 72mph.

And I was correct in my math, the published top speed of FF is 60mph.

Portugal needs more old-school B&M's!!!

Postby rcjp » Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:19 pm

^Well the car seems pretty heavy, and the heavier it is the less significant the drag will be, which means acceleration closer to the 9.8 m/s^2
The Mr Freeze coasters should have speakers playing the sentence: "Let's kick some ice!" right before each launch

What does one say after riding a Batman clone?
The G force is strong with this one.

Gimme Some Candy!

Postby coasterfreak101 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:36 pm

It looks really clear to me that it stops accelerating well above the yellow portion. It doesn't necessarily slow down, but it isn't speeding up, either. I would assume that's where we'll see it flip back to horizontal, in time for the full brakes to start when the yellow portion is hit.
1. Skyrush | 2. Maverick | 3. The Voyage | 4. El Toro | 5. Outlaw Run
6. Millennium Force | 7. I-305 | 8. Medusa: SC | 9. X2 | 10. Phoenix

Coasters: 290
Parks: 51

Am I allowed to eat donkey during lent?

Postby PeoplemoverMatt » Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:41 pm

markysharky17 wrote:I'm almost certain that most of the GP will see this and go 'HELL NO!'

I'm counting on that! Less people for me to wait behind! :lmao:

Portugal needs more old-school B&M's!!!

Postby rcjp » Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:22 am

coasterfreak101 wrote:It looks really clear to me that it stops accelerating well above the yellow portion. It doesn't necessarily slow down, but it isn't speeding up, either. I would assume that's where we'll see it flip back to horizontal, in time for the full brakes to start when the yellow portion is hit.

Well what matters here is, like you said, where it stops accelerating because that's where the freefall feeling ends (or when the acceleration goes well below 9.8). It looks like it will deliver a nice punch and it will be for sure intimidating facing down, but it just doesn't seem like it will be actual freefall for a long time. I guess we'll just have to wait for someone to ride it.
The Mr Freeze coasters should have speakers playing the sentence: "Let's kick some ice!" right before each launch

What does one say after riding a Batman clone?
The G force is strong with this one.

Counts I305 as 32 credits...

Postby A.J. » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:06 am

coasterfreak101 wrote:It looks really clear to me that it stops accelerating well above the yellow portion. It doesn't necessarily slow down, but it isn't speeding up, either. I would assume that's where we'll see it flip back to horizontal, in time for the full brakes to start when the yellow portion is hit.

The acceleration due to gravity means absolutely diddly squat when the drop is controlled, as Falcon's Fury appears to be.
Data entry nut for the official TPR coaster poll! https://coasterpoll.com/
Check out my theme park 3D visualization portfolio!
The opinions that I post on this forum do not necessarily represent those of the company I work for.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby coasterbill » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:12 am

rcjp wrote:It looks like it will deliver a nice punch and it will be for sure intimidating facing down, but it just doesn't seem like it will be actual freefall for a long time. I guess we'll just have to wait for someone to ride it.

I think that even if it's not as crazy as their other towers in terms of the time you're actually dropping, I think the fact that you're facing the ground will more than make up for it (as you pointed out). Plus it's still testing so it may be operating much differently on opening day.

Comeagain? wrote:Compared to an ARM/Larson tower which reaches 47mph or Intamin's Giant Drop at almost 80pmh (according to their site).

ARM/Larson towers defy the laws of physics. ;)

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!