Busch Gardens Tampa Bay (BGT Discussion Thread)

P. 840: Howl-O-Scream 2019 Opening Night report posted!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 4 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Re: Busch Gardens Tampa (BGT BGA) Discussion Thread

Postby cfc » Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:17 am

^Our guide mentioned this tour at the Montu tour during Busch Gardens Bash, but said it was being done on the quiet (they're "testing the waters," so to speak). I also feel compelled to air one of my pet peeves: "Break" is what happens when you drop a crystal bowl on a concrete floor. A "brake" is the device that slows down a coaster train.
Last edited by cfc on Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:18 am.

A village is missing its IDIOT!

Re: Busch Gardens Tampa Bay (BGT, BGA) Discussion Thread

Postby XYZ » Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:28 am

gisco wrote:You have a good point. It just doesn't apply to ride ops either but to all jobs, do your job with a purpose. Don't just casually go from row to row checking restraints and chatting with other ride ops. Get the job done. Too many times I see them amble from one end of the platform to the other. Walk like you know where you are going.

I have a heck of a time hiring people under the age of 25. They seem to think that work is the time to socialize. You are hired to do a job so do it to the best of your ability and as efficiently as possible. The company is there to make money, if they don't make money they could cut back and you lose your job or worse, close and everyone loses their job.

The same thing in Medusa, SFDK, the ride-ops start socializing with the people waiting in the Flash Pass line, and I get really enraged when I see that, and I think "COME ON! Just dispatch us! This is not the time for socializing." I really don't understand why they expect to have a laid-back job by being a ride-op, there are many other jobs in the park that you can socialize people, such as working in the games or arcade. This applies to almost any ride with lousy operations.
1: Lightning Run, 2: El Toro, 3: Maverick, 4: Xcelerator, 5: Voyage, 6: TTD, 7: Gold Striker, 8: El Loco (Vegas), 9: Millennium Force, 10: Kingda Ka
Coaster Credits: 110 (89 steel, 21 wood); Last Coaster Credit: Raptor (CP) [8/22/14]; Last Park Credit: Waldameer [8/21/14]
What a season pass??

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby PAL » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:58 am

cfc wrote:I also feel compelled to air one of my pet peeves: "Break" is what happens when you drop a crystal bowl on a concrete floor. A "brake" is the device that slows down a coaster train.

Thanks for the explanation of the lack of tour info. I assure you I'm aware of the different meanings between "break" and "brake." I spend much of my professional life editing and proofing. Because even my most detail-oriented contributors make the odd error, I strive to make corrections in a positive manner, with a heaping helpful of good humor. :)
Last edited by PAL on Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:22 pm.

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:19 am

^As do I. The "break" for "brake" goof just happens a lot here and on other enthusiast sites. It's nearly as bad as "lose/loose." ;)

the ghost seems to think there is a "Donkey Fairy"

Postby aimster » Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:41 pm

You want slow ride ops? Go on Gwazi. They are the slowest at Busch Gardens, bar none. I go to the park at least twice a month, and Gwazi always has the slowest load/unload I have ever experienced. Sheikra has always had pretty quick load/unload when I ride it, but I don't ride that one every time because that first drop really freaks the bejebus out of me.

I do agree the ride ops need to spend less time socializing and focus on doing the job they're being paid to do. One time on Kumba I saw half a dozen employees in the control tower just chatting away and having their own little party from the look of it, which irritated me a bit. I should have said something to guest services on my way out. If I see something like that again I definitely will.

I want to try the full-day coaster tour sometime. I've done the Montu one twice now and really enjoyed it both times. Maybe next spring if it's still being offered.

Young and Stupid! I blame my parents.

Postby SoCalCoasters » Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:33 pm

^When I was at BGT this past summer, the Gwazops were the slowest. They took their sweet time checking every lapbar...
TPR's Biggest Legoland Nerd, and proud!

A donkey is a domesticated member of the Equidae or horse family.

Rumored 2012-2014 Attractions!!!

Postby chargersmichael » Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:06 pm

Screamscape has posted some rumors caaught by some rumors from the employees around the park that's upcoming for BGT!

:b :b :airtime: :airtimer: :br :br

2012/2013 - Rhino Rally Expansion - Rumor - (12/12/11) We’ve heard these rumors before, but the latest word sent in from the spy network claims that the proposed ‘expansion’ to Rhino Rally may begin as early as January 2012. Obviously, since the loss of the attractions finale, they are looking to not only expand the attraction in length, but also come up with some kind of new exciting highlight moment. According to our source, one proposal on the table would see your vehicle actually get hijacked for part of the revamped attraction.
(6/24/11) The latest word from insiders is that the planning is still in progress to expand Rhino Rally. There may be some conflicts between what the Operations side wants to do with the attraction VS what the Animal Care staff want to see happen with the animal habitats, but those kinds of issues are usually normal. The expansion will obviously not be ready by this August, but as previously rumored, the park is also looking into switching out the current Land Rover fleet for some new vehicles as well, and are currently said to be looking at least four different bids.
(6/17/11) According to a report over at Orlando Parks News, a Rhino Ralley driver was heard apologizing to guests about the new “short” version of the attraction, which gave up it’s water portion to Cheetah Hunt. However, they continued by saying that “a new section” to the ride could be open as early as August.
While I had heard myself long ago that plans to expand Rhino Rally were in the works ever since the inception of Cheetah Hunt, it does take a bit of time to build some new roads and access into other animal areas, as well as the possible construction of new habitats built to accommodate the LandRovers, so will it be August or sometime next year?

2012 / 2013 - Drop Tower - Rumor - (12/12/11) The latest word on the rumored drop tower ride proposed for the Sandstorm location claims that the ride may not be planned to open until late 2012 at the earliest, so it sounds like this may be intended more as a 2013 attraction.
(9/21/11) Possibly backing up the rumor of a drop tower coming to the Tampa park, a reader reports that during the grand opening of Cheetah Hunt, they had a moment to speak with “the rides designer (forget his name)”, which I’m guessing may have been Mark Rose. In any case, when they asked him about what was coming next to the park he simply said to watch for what the other parks were getting to figure out what was coming next. Though with the problems the park had putting in Mach Tower in Williamsburg, I’m kind of surprised they would be ready to drop one into Tampa before they’ve had a good bit of time to give the first one a good shakedown. Anyway… this is all still just a rumor at this point, so stay tuned!
(9/19/11) I’m not sure how serious this rumor is, but someone is claiming that the park’s Sand Storm flat ride could be replaced by a new 200 foot drop tower ride, possibly very similar to the Mach Tower ride that just opened in Williamsburg last month. Anyone know more?

2013/2014 - New Show - Rumor - (12/12/11) Word has it that the park is working on ideas and proposals for a new animal based show that could open in a couple of years. No word on just what venue it may go into, but I’m guessing this would likely be for 2013 / 2014.

Roller Coaster Count: 140
| Millennium Force | | Skyrush | | Top Thrill Dragster | | Kingda Ka | | Maverick | | El Toro | | Mako | | Apollo's Chariot | | Storm Runner | | Nitro | | Incredible Hulk |

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby Bryce232 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:15 pm

A drop tower would be PERFECT for the Timbuktu area, that's where most of the flatrides are anyway. Plus, it'd be in the center of the entire park! Florida is definitely in need of something with that intensity level.

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:20 pm

The drop tower in Timbuktu or Egypt has been a rumor for over 10 years now! Someday it will happen, but I'm not holding my breath!

I own the website www.donkey.com

Postby Schotcher » Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:26 pm

Let's just hope SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment learned their lesson with Moser's Mach Tower.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!