Busch Gardens Tampa Bay (BGT Discussion Thread)

P. 840: Howl-O-Scream 2019 Opening Night report posted!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 3 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
"Excuse me, miss, may I pound my large rooster into your donkey?"

Re: Busch Gardens Tampa Bay (BGT, BGA) Discussion Thread

Postby coasternut » Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:52 pm

Well BGT didn't fail to disappoint again today. While I was there they were running 5 trains on Shiekra. =) Things were moving fine. I got back in line around 3 and they decided to let the Michigan football players use the elevator (handicap only) to jump the line. :oops: A few of the players tried using the quick queue line, and were turned back. They then went up the elevator to get to the front of the line. What makes them so special? :devil: I could see if they were Florida players (no not really). It just seems to be something everyday. :?r

No super high Cheetah track construction. They were using shorter crain to do some erection :wtf: around Rhino Rally today. :p
Coasternut,

LIVING FOR THAT AIRTIME!! :airtime:

My Dumps Smell Like Cantaloupe

Postby The SETGO Guys » Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:12 pm

nd they decided to let the Michigan football players use the elevator (handicap only) to jump the line. A few of the players tried using the quick queue line, and were turned back. They then went up the elevator to get to the front of the line. What makes them so special? I could see if they were Florida players (no not really). It just seems to be something everyday.

I got an e-mail/alert....I think since they were "Celebrities" (BGT) wants to treat them special....

the ghost seems to think there is a "Donkey Fairy"

Postby aimster » Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:20 pm

Popcorn54 wrote:Has anyone done the Behind the Scenes tour of Montu at Tampa, Is it worth the $20?

I did it last month and it is well worth $20.

And regarding Gwazi, I'm glad I've never seen any of the stuff you guys have mentioned. I've never seen any issues there except they never dispatch the trains at the same time so you lose the whole dueling concept. I can't even ride Gwazi anymore because it's just too rough and I got a MAJOR migraine last time I rode it. But when I took the Montu coaster insider tour, my tour guides told me They're rehabbing the trains one side at a time to hopefully give it a smoother ride. I also heard a rumor Gwazi is going to get Millennium Flyer trains, but who knows how true that is?

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Postby paiging_jen » Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:30 pm

coasternut wrote:Well BGT didn't fail to disappoint again today. While I was there they were running 5 trains on Shiekra. =) Things were moving fine. I got back in line around 3 and they decided to let the Michigan football players use the elevator (handicap only) to jump the line. :oops: A few of the players tried using the quick queue line, and were turned back. They then went up the elevator to get to the front of the line. What makes them so special? :devil: I could see if they were Florida players (no not really). It just seems to be something everyday. :?r

No super high Cheetah track construction. They were using shorter crain to do some erection :wtf: around Rhino Rally today. :p

Today was "Team Day" for the Outback Bowl so Florida and Penn State players were there.

Donkeys give me orgiastic scream!

Postby orangeblue » Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:40 am

It's nice to see the coaster is coming along well, but I'm sad to hear the park's operations are so lacking recently. I haven't been there in two years, but I never remember it being as bad as you guys are describing now with the exception of Gwazi which has always had terrible dispatch times. Unfortunately, when you're talking about minimum wage jobs where you are expected to do a repetitive task for eight hours straight, you aren't going to get the 'best' employees possible.

Five babies drowned in a fire

Postby Skycoastin Steve » Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:53 pm

^Not true at all. There are tons of parks that have fantastic operations employees that have great dispatch times. BGT just isn't one of them. It starts at the top. If you don't have management and/or supervision pushing capacity and dispatch intervals, it doesn't matter what kind of employees you have, your operations are going to lack severely.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby jynx242 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:28 pm

Personally - slower staff is annoying, but add ALCOHOL to the crowd and it is just bad news. Any time I'm in a park where there is drinking going on (HHN for example) the guests in the park kind of come unglued. Not saying I'm against alcohol in parks - hell, I used to be one of the unglued guests :).

I agree with Steve though - I've seen some of the same minimum wage employees absolutely LOVE their jobs at theme parks and work their butts off getting trains dispatched. I was one of those minimum wage employees (a LONG time ago - I made $3.20 / hour) and just enjoyed being at work. Some responsibility can be placed on management, but the ops themselves have to be held to at least some standard and have to be held accountable for their actions or lack thereof.

David

Five babies drowned in a fire

Postby Skycoastin Steve » Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:44 pm

^I guess I can put it this way. If you have great management, the odds of everyone below them following suit are much much better than if you have crappy management. If management sucks, then there's basically no chance of any quality out of your operations department.

Now personally, I don't know what management is like at BGT, and I'd rather not throw them under the bus. However, based on what I've seen in my visits there the last few years, my impressions of their operations management isn't very flattering.

2 + 2 = donkey!

Postby adamico2 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:14 pm

Middle management is key when it comes time to operations. Internal audits and incentives are great ways to increase capacity.

This pretty unrelated, but I was at Seabreeze in Rochester, NY one day and saw a single ride op. dispatching trains on the Jack Rabbit in under thirty seconds. That included crossing the tracks, letting people on the ride, crossing back over the tracks, locking the restraints with the manual lever, checking restraints, and manually dispatching the train.

"Excuse me, miss, may I pound my large rooster into your donkey?"

Postby coasternut » Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:15 pm

Skycoastin Steve wrote:There are tons of parks that have fantastic operations employees that have great dispatch times. BGT just isn't one of them. It starts at the top. If you don't have management and/or supervision pushing capacity and dispatch intervals, it doesn't matter what kind of employees you have, your operations are going to lack severely.

Steve I totally agree with you on management leading the way. Years ago Cedar Point was a great park to visit. The lines moved, and the rideops seemed to like there jobs =) . That has taken a turn for the worse in recent years :x . I rank Cedar Fair park employees worse than 6 Flags employees for the past few years. I know that sounds crazy :omg: , but that's my observation. I travel all over the states for my job, and visit many Cedar Fair and 6 Flags parks. Cedar Point used to be my #1 park for years (I guess I'm biased after growing up there). Now they're my #3 :butt: behind Magic Mountain #1 and Great Adventure #2! Right now BGT doesn't even show up on the map for good experiences. :?r Let's hope they get it together for Cheetah Hunt!! :roll:
Coasternut,

LIVING FOR THAT AIRTIME!! :airtime:

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!