Cedar Fair Corporate Development Discussion Thread (FUN)

P. 161: 2Q 2019 Quarterly Report (Doing well 2Q)
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 3 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Donkey.

Re: Cedar Fair Corporate Development Discussion Thread (FUN)

Postby Coasterguy21 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:42 am

In this article, Investor Relations has released some info on the branding of the parks and some info on the Kansas City option: https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/news/2019/06/13/cedar-fair-schlitterbahn-sale-option.html

In short, with the purchase of the two South Texas parks, Cedar Fair will take over the branding rights for Schlitterbahn. The Henry family will still own the South Padre Island location, but will have to rebrand seeing as Cedar Fair will not be changing the name of the other two locations (its still a "probably won't change the names").

As for Kansas City, it does appear that Cedar Fair is fairly interested in purchasing the park through the option. As discussed earlier, it would be worth it for the land alone, it still does carry the hefty mortgage though. IR did say that if they bought the Kansas City park, they would rebrand it (good idea to get rid of the Schlitterbahn name there) and they would use it as another waterpark to help build their Worlds of Fun/Oceans of Fun Season Pass base. They also like the location near Legends Outlets.

They're just weighing the options to see if its the right fit or not.

It is kind of nice to see Cedar Fair getting back into the purchasing regional parks/water parks game (starting with the waterparks). Once they sold the two Knotts Soak City USA's in SoCal and then closed Geauga Lake's Wildwater Kingdom, I thought they were done with standalone water parks. Seems they're comfortable enough to move forward with it now.
This is my super lame signature where I will mention the words "roller coaster" and "theme park"

Don't make me kick you in the donkey!

Location: dimension not only of sight & sound but parabolic airtime hills/g-spot orgasms

Postby DirkFunk » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:12 am

coneyislandchris wrote:
coasterbill wrote:Golden Ticket awards

coasterbill wrote:showering them

Not sure if intentional, but it certainly paints a mental picture. :lmao:

And yeah. I've only really been getting back into waterparks over the past year or so after a long absence... but basically everything I've ever heard about the entire situation in KC has left me with zero desire to visit one of those parks. If all their slides with built by the same team with the same care and loving attention to detail that went into Verruckt, then frankly, I don't intend to visit regardless of who currently owns the park.

Crush N Gusher at Disney's Typhoon Lagoon was built by them too. You're gonna have a tough time totally avoiding their attractions. Just how it is.

If the donkey is rockin, don't come knockin!

Postby coneyislandchris » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:33 am

DirkFunk wrote:Crush N Gusher at Disney's Typhoon Lagoon was built by them too. You're gonna have a tough time totally avoiding their attractions. Just how it is.

Wasn't aware of that. Was under the impression that they pretty much worked exclusively in house for their own attractions. I'll do some more research, but as far as slides on a Disney property go, I'd feel much more comfortable riding that one. (And yes I know how insane I sound right now, sorry.)
That coaster dad [335] and that coaster kiddo [212]. Road trip buddies for life.
Dad's faves: Fury 325. Phantom's Revenge. Twisted Timbers. Intimidator 305. El Toro.

Kiddo's faves: Talon. Alpengeist. Copperhead Strike. Twisted Timbers. Fury 325.

Counts I305 as 32 credits...

Postby A.J. » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:39 am

The team at New Braunfels developed the master blaster slide as a concept, but in 2006, the rights to the design were sold to WhiteWater. Obviously Crush n' Gusher was designed under close supervision.
Data entry nut for the official TPR coaster poll! https://coasterpoll.com/
Check out my theme park 3D visualization portfolio!
The opinions that I post on this forum do not necessarily represent those of the company I work for.

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby Mrlittle » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:03 am

Well I’m excited since I live in Houston, I now have a reason to buy a Cedar Fair season pass. I go to Galveston often and only been to Schlitterbahn Galveston once mainly because of price. With Six Flags just recently taking over Splashtown, it should be fun to see which park does better in the area. I think Cedar Fair will need to add to these water parks over the years because of the amount of competition in the area. Here in Houston, there are 4 major water parks within a few hours of each other.

Don't make me kick you in the donkey!

Location: dimension not only of sight & sound but parabolic airtime hills/g-spot orgasms

Postby DirkFunk » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:58 am

A.J. wrote:The team at New Braunfels developed the master blaster slide as a concept, but in 2006, the rights to the design were sold to WhiteWater. Obviously Crush n' Gusher was designed under close supervision.

They designed a lot of stuff and up until that kid got killed, no one (including most people here - I was in the definite minority) were ready to throw them under the bus. Then the stories started to dribble out one by one. Jeff Henry still hasn't been taken out of the Waterpark Hall of Fame or banished from IAAPA, where he was such a "legend" they commissioned a short biography of him for a book released while he was on trial! If you went on a Master Blaster, especially any built before they sold to Whitewater, you rode one of their rides.

"It's not small, but it is very 'average.'"

Postby Jew » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:13 am

FutureMan2 wrote:
robbalvey wrote:
FutureMan2 wrote:I realize the severity of what you’re referring to however the Schlitterbahn in New Braunfels is easily the best Waterparks out there. You might want to make it down there soon since Cedar Fair has a very corporate way of doing things. Schlitterbahn is (was?) like the water park version of Knoebels

Completely disagree. I cannot be the only one who always thought that Schlitterbahn in New Braunfels was completely overrated, difficult to navigate, slides were totally "meh", and overall the park was a pain the ass to visit, right?

And trust me, I've tried SEVERAL TIMES going to that park with an open mindset and I've always walked away going "I really don't get it."

IMO, calling it the Knoebels of water parks is a huge insult to Knoebels.

Ah, I was wondering why this was the only forum where I’ve seen negative comments about Schlitterbahn.

Anyway. Comparing Knoebels to Schlitterbahn isn’t outlandish at all. In fact, I can’t think of a better comparison. Both parks are so incredibly original. They also have that anti corporate feel as well.

I understand it might not be for you (or your followers) but it is widely considered to be the best water park.

However I do agree with you on the layout of the park. There is certainly an opportunity there.

My biggest fear is that Cedar Fair will take out some of these original attractions for some of their cookie cutter slide complexes.

Being original doesn't make it great. I only went there once as part of the TPR Texas Trip, and outside of of the then still novel master blaster concept & the torrent river...the rest of the park was so bland and outdated. And taking a bus between sections?

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby SixFlagsAstroworld » Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:38 pm

Despite the shady stuff that happened in the KC schlitterbaun, it really is in a very good location. Cedar Fair can gain some attendence with it.
Coaster Count: 108
Check out my latest project: Six Flags Cypress Adventures
HARD ROCK PARK Coming to Chaos Crafter 2019!!

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby FutureMan2 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:46 pm

Separating the person from the product is a very important thing Ive learned to do. There isn’t a single industry out there that doesn’t have an example of this. I understand a lot of y’alls struggle with it. I have as well.

No doubt he was a terrible terrible (going straight to Hell, do not pass go, do not collect $200) guy but that doesn’t change the fact that he did revolutionize the water park industry.

When it comes to safety the parks are no less safe than any other waterpark our there. Verrückt was ridiculous, recording breaking slide that was rushed to completion. It showed his ego and pride and it’s terrible what happened. But, at the same time, you have to realize just how different this was from the rest of the rides related to Schlitterbahn.

Additionally if you think he is the worst person in the amusement park industry ever (which is primarily based on servicing families and children) then you are in denial. He was arrested after the incident. That should speak volumes as to what’s out there.

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby Mike240SX » Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:29 pm

No, Eugene Mulvihill revolutionized (and basically invented) the water park industry. He also had a storied past with the law. Jeff Henry just took what Mulvihill did (both in the industry and his private life) to the extreme.

And yes, you can "separate the product from the person," but you can't separate where your tourism dollars go. Some people chose not to support Henry's endeavors, and that's their right to do so, regardless of how "awesome" his parks were.
-Mike
Total Coasters: 134
Top 10 Steel: Maverick, Skyrush, Intimidator 305, Banshee, Millennium Force, Raptor, Superman: The Ride (SFNE), Top Thrill Dragster, Big Bad Wolf, Volcano
Top 10 Wood: The Beast, El Toro, Phoenix (Knoebels), Boulder Dash, Thunderbolt (KW), Mystic Timbers, Comet (Hershey), Hercules, Shivering Timbers, Jack Rabbit (KW)
Top 5 Hybrid: Twisted Timbers, Goliath (SFGAm), Wicked Cyclone, Great White, Gemini

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!