Switch to full style
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Post a reply

Re: Coney Island Development Discussion Thread

Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:51 pm

Good points above; hopefully it's a near-replica, or at least a Thunderbolt-inspired woodie. Seems like it would be, but as with Steeplechase, they could just be using the name for attention knowing it will still bring in crowds. At least it's widely known that people want the original Thunderbolt back and would be disappointed with anything lesser.

If it's what it sounds like (as has been rumored in the past), it's so awesome that they're actually going ahead with it. I'd rather ride the original, but that's neither here nor there at this point. Wonder who the manufacturer will be.

Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:59 pm

robbalvey wrote:
Koasterking48 wrote:Hmmm, interesting... Question, was the original Thunderbolt a replica of the Cyclone?

No, it was a totally different ride.

Ok that clears things up. I was wondering because the images I saw looked like the two were pretty similar at least.

Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:05 pm

Ok, now it seems like speculation really is more towards it not being a woodie at all. It's a bit early to be overthinking every word, but I would think that if they were going to make a taller replica, they'd play up the increased height. Since they didn't really compare the old and new, maybe it's because they will be completely unrelated coaster types.

Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:23 pm

There is a video on THIS page. The ride animation shots and the Zamperla bit have me a little confused, it looks pretty euro-fighter-ish though.

Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:25 pm

Koasterking48 wrote: Ok that clears things up. I was wondering because the images I saw looked like the two were pretty similar at least.

To the casual observer, they look very similar. A figure 8 or "squeezed oval" shape with 2.5 layers of track. Both very close in height and both having their middle "main structure" and curves supported with steel. But to the super coaster-nerd trained eye, 2 completely different rides :)

Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:30 pm

Does seem to be unofficially confirmed as steel, but who else was imagining an Intamin Plug'n'Play Thunderbolt?

Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:31 pm

cal1br3tto wrote:but who else was imagining an Intamin Plug'n'Play Thunderbolt?

That would be incredible! But not for $10M :(

Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:34 pm

At 125ft and 65mph it seems Zamoerla is going for their own version of a Eurofighter, or at least one with a steep drop (or launch). Should be interesting, and another good thing for Coney Island. Plus I'll gladly take any excuse to go back to NYC.

Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:13 pm

This appears to be the same plot of land that the city asked for bids on back in September, so in the world of NYC politics that was a quick turnaround. I'm not surprised that it was awarded to CAI/Zamperla.

I mentioned this to a few people during the China Trip that if I had the money and the connections I would have put a bid in to bring back a wooden coaster reminiscent of the Thunderbolt.

Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:26 pm

Is this the same Thunderbolt that Little Amerricka has a model of in their park? (That they also plan on building?)
(I know Zamperla isn't building a recreation, but wondering if this is the Thunderbolt everyone is talking about)
Attachments
cimg1670.jpg
cimg1670.jpg (219.89 KiB) Viewed 2111 times
Post a reply
MY LATEST VIDEOS