Coney Island (Luna Park) Development Discussion Thread

P. 144: Help name the 2020 attractions
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Coney Island Development Discussion Thread

Postby cal1br3tto » Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:51 pm

Good points above; hopefully it's a near-replica, or at least a Thunderbolt-inspired woodie. Seems like it would be, but as with Steeplechase, they could just be using the name for attention knowing it will still bring in crowds. At least it's widely known that people want the original Thunderbolt back and would be disappointed with anything lesser.

If it's what it sounds like (as has been rumored in the past), it's so awesome that they're actually going ahead with it. I'd rather ride the original, but that's neither here nor there at this point. Wonder who the manufacturer will be.
114 wood+512 steel=626 | Steel Vengeance | Boulder Dash | Twisted Timbers | Coaster | X2 | Twisted Colossus | Storm Chaser | Phoenix | Maverick | Twisted Cyclone | Iron Rattler | Voyage | Kawasemi | El Toro | New Texas Giant

"Excuse me, miss, may I pound my large rooster into your donkey?"

Postby Koasterking48 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:59 pm

robbalvey wrote:
Koasterking48 wrote:Hmmm, interesting... Question, was the original Thunderbolt a replica of the Cyclone?

No, it was a totally different ride.

Ok that clears things up. I was wondering because the images I saw looked like the two were pretty similar at least.

Postby cal1br3tto » Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:05 pm

Ok, now it seems like speculation really is more towards it not being a woodie at all. It's a bit early to be overthinking every word, but I would think that if they were going to make a taller replica, they'd play up the increased height. Since they didn't really compare the old and new, maybe it's because they will be completely unrelated coaster types.
114 wood+512 steel=626 | Steel Vengeance | Boulder Dash | Twisted Timbers | Coaster | X2 | Twisted Colossus | Storm Chaser | Phoenix | Maverick | Twisted Cyclone | Iron Rattler | Voyage | Kawasemi | El Toro | New Texas Giant

I'm a Tim Tam Whore!

Postby kumba830 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:23 pm

There is a video on THIS page. The ride animation shots and the Zamperla bit have me a little confused, it looks pretty euro-fighter-ish though.
Nathan takes a trip to Germany! [Coasters and Sights of Deutschland]

Jar-Jar Binks smells like Donkey

Postby GayCoasterGuy » Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:25 pm

Koasterking48 wrote: Ok that clears things up. I was wondering because the images I saw looked like the two were pretty similar at least.

To the casual observer, they look very similar. A figure 8 or "squeezed oval" shape with 2.5 layers of track. Both very close in height and both having their middle "main structure" and curves supported with steel. But to the super coaster-nerd trained eye, 2 completely different rides :)

Postby cal1br3tto » Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:30 pm

Does seem to be unofficially confirmed as steel, but who else was imagining an Intamin Plug'n'Play Thunderbolt?

Jar-Jar Binks smells like Donkey

Postby GayCoasterGuy » Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:31 pm

cal1br3tto wrote:but who else was imagining an Intamin Plug'n'Play Thunderbolt?

That would be incredible! But not for $10M :(

I'm the gyro!

Postby DerekRx » Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:34 pm

At 125ft and 65mph it seems Zamoerla is going for their own version of a Eurofighter, or at least one with a steep drop (or launch). Should be interesting, and another good thing for Coney Island. Plus I'll gladly take any excuse to go back to NYC.
All clear....

Dispatch, enjoy your ride.

Derek

Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Postby larrygator » Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:13 pm

This appears to be the same plot of land that the city asked for bids on back in September, so in the world of NYC politics that was a quick turnaround. I'm not surprised that it was awarded to CAI/Zamperla.

I mentioned this to a few people during the China Trip that if I had the money and the connections I would have put a bid in to bring back a wooden coaster reminiscent of the Thunderbolt.
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

Jo My Oh!

Postby Jerrykoala2112 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:26 pm

Is this the same Thunderbolt that Little Amerricka has a model of in their park? (That they also plan on building?)
(I know Zamperla isn't building a recreation, but wondering if this is the Thunderbolt everyone is talking about)
cimg1670.jpg

What was Jer's last adventure? Drayton Manor - 2012
Check out my SFGAm Music Video - Here

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!