Switch to full style
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Post a reply

Re: Coney Island Development Discussion Thread

Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:22 am

Was the Cyclone damaged in any way? It would have made national headlines if anything serious happened to it like HURRICANE SANDY DESTROYS LEGENDARY CYCLONE ROLLER COASTER or CONEY ISLAND CYCLONE 1927-2012.

I love the Cyclone, its rougher and more painful than any Vekoma or Arrow I have ever ridden but yet I love it. Mainly because of the out-of-control feeling you get on a wood coaster that no steel coaster can ever replicate. I think the only thing worse than the Cyclone is Mean Streak in the backseat. with Mean Streak the drop started out ok, but once you made it to the bottom the back of the train just whacks your spine like it's nobody's business.

Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:32 am

From what Larry wrote, it sounds like the Cyclone is fine since they tested it. Glad to see that it looks like Coney Island is going to come out of this alright. It looks to be in much better shape than some of the Jersey Shore Parks.

-Gary T.

Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:49 am

fraroc wrote:Was the Cyclone damaged in any way?

Nothing to speak of that would have stopped them from running 10 days after the storm.

Tanks4me05 wrote:
Taylor Finn wrote:I really really wish they would do something with the parachute tower, though I have no real idea of its present condition/history.

JC walked up to it (during the trip) and noticed that there were construction permits plastered over the whole thing when we went. Here's hoping.

Not happening!
Last edited by larrygator on Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:30 am.

Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:16 pm

http://amusingthezillion.com/2012/11/14/wanna-megawhirl-new-ride-to-be-demoed-if-not-moved/

The MegaWhirl, a prototype that came all the way from a Texas ride factory to debut in Coney Island, will be scrapped if a new home is not found for it soon. MegaWhirl inventor Jonathan Gordon of Gordon Rides contacted ATZ with the sad news: “Just thought you should know, I’ve been working on trying to relocate the MegaWhirl, but the damage from the storm surge has made it almost impossible. If I can’t find anyone to take the ride by the end of next week, the MegaWhirl will be demolished as per the demands of Thor Equities.” For Gordon, who signed his email, “(former) CEO/Lead Designer, GordonRides LLC,” Hurricane Sandy capped off a Coney Island season that had already been a financial disaster and bankrupted his business.

Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:15 pm

^ I remember seeing that thing on New Hotness and wanting to ride it so bad. That is a real shame.

On a separate note, I remember walking past an independent vendor at Coney Island with a Himalaya called Polar Express and a misc. Dark Ride that I forget the name of. My question is: what is special about the Himalaya aside from it being in poor condition? They wanted 10 bucks for it as compared to the Haunted House at 6. I really wouldn't mind heading back there with a pocketful of money, just to blow it on some of those independent rides (like the Bump Bump Your Ass off, etc, etc.).

Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:32 pm

Taylor Finn wrote:^ I remember seeing that thing on New Hotness and wanting to ride it so bad. That is a real shame.

On a separate note, I remember walking past an independent vendor at Coney Island with a Himalaya called Polar Express and a misc. Dark Ride that I forget the name of. My question is: what is special about the Himalaya aside from it being in poor condition? They wanted 10 bucks for it as compared to the Haunted House at 6. I really wouldn't mind heading back there with a pocketful of money, just to blow it on some of those independent rides (like the Bump Bump Your A$$ off, etc, etc.).

I never rode that Himalaya, but I think they run it for an extremely long cycle. I didn't realize it was $10. I'm sure you could negotiate the price down, especially if you were with a group.

Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:26 pm

At least the article threw in that last part which confirms that his ride/business was already screwed before the hurricane.

I hate when people blame something that's not really the cause of the issue.

Jew wrote:http://amusingthezillion.com/2012/11/14/wanna-megawhirl-new-ride-to-be-demoed-if-not-moved/

The MegaWhirl, a prototype that came all the way from a Texas ride factory to debut in Coney Island, will be scrapped if a new home is not found for it soon. MegaWhirl inventor Jonathan Gordon of Gordon Rides contacted ATZ with the sad news: “Just thought you should know, I’ve been working on trying to relocate the MegaWhirl, but the damage from the storm surge has made it almost impossible. If I can’t find anyone to take the ride by the end of next week, the MegaWhirl will be demolished as per the demands of Thor Equities.” For Gordon, who signed his email, “(former) CEO/Lead Designer, GordonRides LLC,” Hurricane Sandy capped off a Coney Island season that had already been a financial disaster and bankrupted his business.

Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:22 am

Here is some good news! I posted the link and the actual article minus the pictures here. I'm glad they understand the importance of preserving this ride. Hopefully they don't make the ride any shorter. In other news, the independently operated Dark Ride attached to the Himalaya I mentioned a bit ago isn't so lucky. It's damages are pretty high.

http://amusingthezillion.com/2012/11/21/coney-island-post-sandy-flooded-spook-a-rama-to-get-new-stunts/
Coney Island Post-Sandy: Flooded Spook-A-Rama to Get New Stunts

Coney Island’s oldest dark ride, which dates back to the 1950s and is part of Deno’s Wonder Wheel Park, was severely damaged due to flooding from Coney Island Creek and the Bay during Superstorm Sandy. Spook-A-Rama’s electrical, interior props and the floor inside the ride were destroyed but park owners Dennis and Steve Vourderis have vowed to rebuild the attraction. At last week’s IAAPA Attractions Expo in Orlando, they contracted with Scarefactory, Inc. to come in and lay out new props, according to Dennis Vourderis. The giant skeleton on Spook-A-Rama’s roof is a product of the design and fabrication studio, which specializes in creating haunted attractions and everything that goes into them.

Sadly, some of the destroyed props original to Spook-A-Rama and other historic Coney Island dark rides cannot be replaced. The good news is that the legendary Cyclops, which came out of retirement two years ago to be inducted into the Coney Island History Project’s Hall of Fame, was unharmed. Another old-timer at the Wonder Wheel, the 1930′s fortunetelling machine Grandma’s Predictions, suffered water damage, but is being restored by an expert in antique arcade machines. Grandma’s “boyfriend” Zoltar was not so lucky –the popular machine which debuted at the park in 2011 will be replaced by a brand-new one.

Also destroyed in the flood waters and being replaced is the Scarface-themed shooting gallery next to Spook-A-Rama. The new shooting gallery will be themed with some of the same spooky characters that visitors will see inside the refurbished dark ride. While the Wonder Wheel side of the park and the area beneath the kiddie park were inundated with 5 to 7 feet of flood waters, the 92-year-old landmark Wonder Wheel and the rides and games in Deno’s Kiddie Park on the Boardwalk escaped serious damage though a lot of work remains to be done. The park will re-open with its 25th Annual Blessing of the Rides Ceremony on Palm Sunday, which is Coney Island’s opening day and falls on March 24, 2013.

Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:45 am

Jew wrote:http://amusingthezillion.com/2012/11/14/wanna-megawhirl-new-ride-to-be-demoed-if-not-moved/

Well, I rode the MegaWhirl in the factory, and it was pretty terrible. It was slow and super loud. The way the cars were pulled around was strange. The guy that designed it was an ACEr that made up his own company, I'm pretty sure...

LOL I just watched the video in that article and you can see me sitting in the green car quite a few times, not too amused.

The MegaWhirl was honestly not that great...

Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:51 am

The concept looked cool, a Whip ride that could fit in any space. It's a shame that it was mediocre, I would have liked to at least try it.

The ride was built as a collaboration with Larson, right? Maybe they'll buy the design documents and stuff from Gordon and try to make the ride better?
Post a reply
MY LATEST VIDEOS