Coney Island (Luna Park) Development Discussion Thread

P. 144: Help name the 2020 attractions
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Starbucks Enthusiast

Re: Coney Island Development Discussion Thread

Postby gisco » Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:37 pm

Do they really think a Huge Whel on Staten Island would kill business at Coney Island? I don't think the wheel will ever get built in the first place and even if it does, won't hurt Coney Island.

Nice to see them trying to expand at Coney Island. Wouldn't a GCI take away from Cyclone?

"It's not small, but it is very 'average.'"

Postby Jew » Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:43 pm

Sounds like they are practically begging Zamperla to take on that site as well.

Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Postby larrygator » Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:13 pm

I can't quite figure out why Brooklynites are getting so uptight about the wheel. You wouldn't be able to see the Manhattan skyline as clearly from Coney Island.

Joey - totally agree that the RFP is tailored to Zamperla, but damn it, I want a GCI.
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

Delicious & Refreshing

Postby jedimaster1227 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:31 am

^^I don't see how that could hurt. Considering the turnaround not only in attendance but in the quality of the offerings at Coney Island, I think Zamperla's influence has certainly helped to revitalize the entire area. I'm honestly disappointed that they weren't chosen for the Rye Playland project, because if their work at Coney Island is any indication of their understanding of this kind of market, then Rye just missed out on a major opportunity.

Plus, the fact that they are tapping Great Coaster International to refurbish the Cyclone is another sign of their wisdom. Leave the woodwork to the pros and manage well...
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

Young and Stupid! I blame my parents.

Postby SoCalCoasters » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:39 am

If Mack could hire B&M for a coaster at Europa, Zamperla most certainly could work with GCI for a wooden coaster.
TPR's Biggest Legoland Nerd, and proud!

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby Taylor Finn » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:35 pm

I really love what has happened to Coney Island as of these past few years. It was much needed, and though Luna Park is super modern, the change just made sense. What makes it all so neat is that Deno's is right next door. I really don't know what it is. But the old time 'charm' of that place gets me. I really really wish they would do something with the parachute tower, though I have no real idea of its present condition/history. Wonder what the big lot where Thunderbolt used to be located will be used for.

In general, I really want Luna to expand, but at the same time, the sheer charm and character that Deno's and the other independent operators possess makes me hesitant to let Zamperla wipe them out. I wish I would've done the Dance dance Dodgems and the Breakdance while I was there on New Hotness. They might not be there when I go back. This is more or less me just stating everything about Coney Island that has been crossing my mind so I'm sorry for its scattered nature!

Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Postby larrygator » Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:36 pm

I was helping with the Coney Island area clean-up and took a few pictures of the Steeplechase Plaze the future home of restored B&B Carousell.

IMG_20121111_162242.jpg

IMG_20121111_162330.jpg

The Coney Island Boardwalk is already on the road to recovery from Hurricane Sandy. Two popular establishments have already re-opened on the boardwalk (Ruby's Bar and Grill along with Paul's Daughter). Luna Park and Scream Zone are free of storm debris with no ride damage (The Cyclone had a test run on Friday).

One to two feet of sand was blown on to the boardwalk during the storm, but all of the sand was removed from the boardwalk behind Scream Zone, LunaPark and the Aquarium on Sunday.
IMG_20121111_131207.jpg
Volunteers clearing the boardwalk

But not all is perfect. Many of the businesses suffered more damage and are in a state of repair.
IMG_20121111_163045.jpg
Nathan's (which is normally open 24 hours a day) has been closed since the storm.
IMG_20121111_163242.jpg
Here is the state of El Dorado Bumper Cars. I don't see sand on the groundso my impression is that the cars on their side are only under repair and not put in that state by storm surge.
IMG_20121111_162533.jpg
Yes, some of the streets are still full of sand from the storm. Can you see how far the sand is up the parking meters?
IMG_20121111_163341.jpg
The Freakshow (along with the Coney Island Museum) seem to be airing out some of their wares.
IMG_20121111_164251.jpg
The local McDonalds (two blocks from the ocean) has not returned to operation since the storm.
Last edited by larrygator on Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:40 pm.
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

"It's not small, but it is very 'average.'"

Postby Jew » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:38 am

That picture of the sand is nuts! The news focuses on the most severe damage, but stuff like that is fascinating.

Nuthin' better than a naked donkey!

Postby Tanks4me05 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:59 am

Taylor Finn wrote:I really really wish they would do something with the parachute tower, though I have no real idea of its present condition/history.

JC walked up to it (during the trip) and noticed that there were construction permits plastered over the whole thing when we went. Here's hoping.

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:01 am

Thanks for the pictures, Larry. It looks like Coney Island should recover from Hurricane Sandy, even though it'll be a tough job.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!