Coney Island (Luna Park) Development Discussion Thread

P. 144: Help name the 2020 attractions
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
On the other side of the camera

Postby WillMontu » Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:34 pm

I believe the Cyclone is considered a New York City Landmark and is on the National Register of Historic Places
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Cyclone

I wrote the book about donkeys!

Postby Primogen18 » Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:48 pm

I forget where I heard about this before but from what I read they just wanted to re-develop the park and make it more "modern" with the addition of a new steel coaster.I hope no condos are involved, I hate those damn things that infest shorelines everywhere making it look bland and "up-scale". Just look at what theyre doing to Wildwood :(

Allan "I ENJOY SEX WITH PEOPLE DRESSED UP LIKE ANIMALS" bray

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby speedracer » Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:52 pm

^^ Means nothing.

The National Register of Historic Places is primarily a tool to recognize the historical significance of a building, structure, object, district, or site. Listing in the National Register does not restrict private property owners from the use of their property.

Typically, a Memorandum of Agreement (MOA) in which the parties involved agree to a particular plan is created. An MOA might address the adverse effect in a variety of ways, often recommending "document and destroy" in which the historic resource is first documented and then demolished as the most prudent and feasible alternative.

No doubt the developers will find "document and destroy" as the most feasible alternative.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby devltra2 » Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:50 pm

We were in New York a few weeks ago and decided to take a trip on the subway out to have a look at Coney Island. My other half wasn't to happy about getting dragged out to see a closed fairground.

I'm glad I got to see it before it is taken over.

Hopefully I will get to return sometime in the future and ride the Cyclone.
DSC05410.JPG
She said I should come back here and apply for a job.
DSC05431.JPG
There were about 15 guys working on the Cyclone. It's good to see it getting the upkeep it deserves.

Postby Primogen18 » Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:04 pm

wow I heard its kind of a dump but... Thats such a shame. It used to be so nice, an amusement mecha, how did it ever go to crap like that :(

-Allan HURR I'M AN IDIOT Bray

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby ginzo » Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:01 pm

speedracer wrote:^^ Means nothing.

The National Register of Historic Places is primarily a tool to recognize the historical significance of a building, structure, object, district, or site. Listing in the National Register does not restrict private property owners from the use of their property.

Typically, a Memorandum of Agreement (MOA) in which the parties involved agree to a particular plan is created. An MOA might address the adverse effect in a variety of ways, often recommending "document and destroy" in which the historic resource is first documented and then demolished as the most prudent and feasible alternative.

No doubt the developers will find "document and destroy" as the most feasible alternative.

This is a city where landlords burn their own buildings to get around rent control. If they want the Cyclone gone, it's toast.

I'm taking a coaster trip to the east coast next June. The Cyclone is now definitely on my list, just in case the worst happens.

Postby VegasCoaster » Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:32 pm

I don't know how popular a condo highrise that took down a New York City and American icon would be but I guess after a while people would forget or if the prices were cheap enough they wouldn't mind as much. Just seems like taking out the Cyclone would be a bad idea. Not to mention the endless people that would chain themselves to the thing if any planned demolition occurred.

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby Ccron10 » Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:37 am

It's strange that 2 weeks ago they said they were going to totally redo Coney Island, but it sound ironic that this is going to happen.

Full Fledged Donkey Enthusiast!

Postby mike robinson » Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:49 am

Didn't Donald Trumps dad get rich in part by bulldozing part of Coney Island?

I just don't see Thor leaving all that money on the table after the area gets rezoned to allow more non amusement building.

There sure had been a lot of "Re-Development" of the area and none of it has been good for the Amusement park side of things.

Banned

Postby Satoshi » Fri Dec 01, 2006 3:23 am

oh Coney Island's flat rides goodness.....not goodness at all
but kinda stuffs gonna make us real sad! only Cyclone wood
will leave..... i was gonna blew up on Coney's closing forever!

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!