Coney Island (Luna Park) Development Discussion Thread

P. 144: Help name the 2020 attractions
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Postby RCfanatic » Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:06 am

Thats unfortunate, Coney Island/Astroland is like THE classic american amusement park of classic american amusement parks. But luckily the signature ride, Cyclone, will stay in operation, wich is kind of a big relief.

Postby Wes » Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:09 am

Your title is a little misleading. If anything, the new developer sounds like they want to spruce the place up and add more new rides!

Donkey eat mullet pump.

Postby Jonathan » Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:10 am

Thor's plans include a mix of amusements and attractions, including a new roller coaster and a new hotel to accommodate the anticipated arrival of new tourists.

Sounds like great news to me

The Resident Smart-Ass

Postby CoasterFanatic » Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:26 am

In my mind, the jury is still out on Thor. While they keep mentioning "amusements", they also want to rezone the area residential. If I wasn't so optimistic, i would say that it sounds like a bait and switch.
Ted

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Postby TheLastGunslinger » Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:28 am

At least the Cyclone is being saved...

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby speedracer » Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:44 am

Despite Silberstein and Sitt’s comments, many in the area remain skeptical, especially after the developer recently gave notice to several amusement attractions that they had 90 days to vacate the premises.

One amusement attraction operator who received a notice said it was odd to get the vacate notice, especially considering that Thor Equities has said it will take them at least 18 months to get a shovel into the ground.

The owner, who asked not to be named, speculated that Sitt may be clearing out the area as the city gets ready to change the zoning from C-7, an open-air amusement area, to one that also accommodates retail, hotels and possible residential development.

“”Why would he [Sitt] take tenants out without submitting any plans? It leaves me with the opinion that he’s looking to turn the property over free and clear of any tenants and might already have a customer lined up,” the amusement attraction operator said.

http://www.baynewsbrooklyn.com/site/tab ... 2847&rfi=6

If anyone honestly thinks a loud roaring new roller coaster or any other rides roaring in and out of high end retail and residential buildings will actually get greenlit to the final plan, I have a nearby bridge to sell you. Pretty common for any idea pitch to promise all kinds of elaborate plans to get the project approved. But in the end, it's all about what will make the most money, a loud roller coaster outside of expensive condos is not a selling point.

All irrevelant anyways, money talks, once he gets his residential rezone and just turns around and sells off for a HUGE profit to other residential/commercial developers, they'll have their own plans for the property which I guarantee you will not include a new roller coaster.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby HHN916 » Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:49 am

I have the feeling that once the residential rezoning is approved, the amusement aspect of this plan will disappear. There is far more fast money to be made with townhouses/condos in that location than there is by operating an amusement park. They will probably build a large retail/dining mall as residents will find that appealing.

As for the Cyclone, don't count on it staying just because it is designated as a historic landmark. If it is not kept up and the right politician gets involved, it could be condemned, deemed unsafe, and replaced with a nice historical plaque.

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby speedracer » Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:49 pm

^ Exactly, Cyclone is safe for now, but once those upscale condos go up, it'll be deemed too noisy or something to operate in a residential zone.

Don't make me kick you in the donkey!

Postby verticalzero » Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:23 pm

The Cyclone is protected and can never be touched, right?

Why does it matter if the cyclone gives a rough ride, it is very old and you can't expect it to be "glass-smooth". I bet a "Hang n bang SLC" gives worse rides.

That's the whole fun of riding a ACE coaster, to get thrown around and come off feeling like being in a blender.

I'll ride it in an afternoon / evening when it has warmed up and going faster.

I've never ridden the Cyclone and hope to one day. I'm glad it is not going the same way as the "Texas Cyclone".

What happened to the front mouth entrance of the Texas Cyclone..?
"Roller coaster design is a science, as well as an art: a state of pure bliss".

--------------------------------------

Don't let this donkey melt you with its laser eyes!

Postby Corkscrewed » Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:45 pm

Being an ACE landmark gives you nothing. If it's on the Smithsonian list of historic places, however, then the coaster should be safe.

I remember seeing an architectural competition for redeveloping the Coney Island waterfront area a year or two ago, though, if that means anything. That competition seemed to suggest preserving the amusement area. *shrug*

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!