Coney Island (Luna Park) Development Discussion Thread

P. 144: Help name the 2020 attractions
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I eat bugs.

Re: Coney Island Development Discussion Thread

Postby deathbydinn » Wed May 05, 2010 9:09 am

Oh geez, looks like the thrill park will have a Volare on steroids.

Add me on Simpsons Tapped Out - jongrundl

Final Destination Guy!

Postby Goliath513 » Wed May 05, 2010 12:41 pm

Custom Volare. Damn, I was hoping they would instead pick up Flying Coaster at Elitch Gardens since that has been sitting idle for a few years now and could use a new home. The world does not need any more Volares.

This B&M donkey is so smooth!

Postby Kingsislandfreak » Wed May 05, 2010 1:55 pm

I live in Maryland so only a 5hr darive to go up to this masterpeice I am excited but I kind of dought they will be done in such a little amount of time

Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Postby larrygator » Wed May 05, 2010 3:57 pm

^^ and ^^^ where are you getting your info from, the video? No one is quite certain why the Volare appears at the end of the video, as only the family coaster and mouse have been confirmed in the past.

The video shows the whole layout of the park and there is no Volare.
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

I eat bugs.

Postby deathbydinn » Wed May 05, 2010 4:12 pm

^From the article on page 4.

and by summer 2011, the “Scream Zone at Coney Island” will provide additional attractions, including two custom roller coasters, a human slingshot ride

We can see the slingshot right next to it, so we know they were showing a clip of what the Scream Zone will be. No we don't know for sure that they will get a Volare, but since we do know for sure that two new custom coasters will be in the park and since it is in the video, we're assuming that one will be a Volare.

Add me on Simpsons Tapped Out - jongrundl

Beware of the freeze-dried donkey!

Postby carolinacaniac » Wed May 05, 2010 4:36 pm

A part of me is glad to see a ride from the old Fun Forest find a new home, since it was a part of my childhood as the first flume ride I went on, and a part of my old hometown's park. Hope the folks in New York enjoy it!

-Gary T.
"Imagine the Crystal Beach Cyclone with a Gerstlauer train!"

Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Postby larrygator » Wed May 05, 2010 5:51 pm

deathbydinn wrote:^From the article on page 4.

and by summer 2011, the “Scream Zone at Coney Island” will provide additional attractions, including two custom roller coasters, a human slingshot ride

We can see the slingshot right next to it, so we know they were showing a clip of what the Scream Zone will be. No we don't know for sure that they will get a Volare, but since we do know for sure that two new custom coasters will be in the park and since it is in the video, we're assuming that one will be a Volare.

OK, I got you now. I thought you were referring to this year. I also forgot about the second plot of land on the other side of Deno's Wonder Wheel Park.
Last edited by larrygator on Thu May 06, 2010 6:15 pm.
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

I wrote the book about donkeys!

Postby CardCraze » Thu May 06, 2010 4:52 pm

Just saw an update from Luna on Facebook:

23 DAYS TO GO! Rides starting to take shape! WOWZERS!

Someone was also nice enough to post this picture:

Parks Visited in 2015: None so far!

I wrote the book about donkeys!

Postby CardCraze » Mon May 10, 2010 8:41 am

Luna posted another picture on Facebook. Looks like things are going up fast now. 19 days.

Parks Visited in 2015: None so far!

Delicious & Refreshing

Postby jedimaster1227 » Wed May 12, 2010 1:18 pm

http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/brooklyn/judge_sides_with_city_to_allow_coney_0IRH0yuKrbJGPy3nSw2YAM

The city’s plans to revive Coney Island got a big boost today after a Manhattan judge tossed out a lawsuit seeking to overturn Mayor Bloomberg’s massive amusement-district redevelopment plan.

The suit, filed last December by a group called "Save Coney Island," attempted to block a City Council-approved, 47-acre rezoning plan, and the judge’s decision now allows the plan to move forward.

Despite the fact that the Bloomberg plan for Coney Island includes the creation of a new 27-acre amusement and entertainment district, the group had argued that it gives away too much land now zoned for amusements in favor of high-rise hotels.

It also alleged that the city failed to perform a legal environmental review, failed to include enough safeguards to prevent over-development at the expense of amusements and that the rezoning was, in part, approved to benefit seaside property owners like developer Joe Sitt.

Judge Eileen Rakower, however, concluded that the rezoning plan approved by the Council in July 2009 was "well considered" and legal. She also said the plan doesn’t cater to "special interests" like Sitt and "is a legitimate government purpose of revitalizing the Coney Island economy, while restoring Coney Island to it’s iconic status as a world-renowned amusement center."

The rezoning plan meant little to the overall rebirth of Coney Island until the city cut a $95.6 million deal with Sitt in November to buy 6.9 acres of his land, so it could go forward with opening a temporary open-air amusement park along much of what was once fabled Astroland Park. A new Luna Park, named after the original playland that burned down in 1944, is set to open there May 29 and include 19 new rides.

Although opponents argued that more than 60 acres along the Coney Island boardwalk had been eligible for amusements before the area got rezoned, the city argued that until last summer only a couple of acres actually had rides and attractions. City officials said the rezoning would help guarantee more Coney Island amusements.

The plan does allow Sitt to build hotels and commercial space on some of his remaining land near the boardwalk, but not directly along it.
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!