Coney Island (Luna Park) Development Discussion Thread

P. 144: Help name the 2020 attractions
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 3 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Coney Island Development Discussion Thread

Postby Airtime&Gravity » Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:33 am

When the Cyclone opens on March 28, the first 100 people will get to ride for free.

The world-famous Coney Island Cyclone is revved up and ready to roll for the 2010 season on Sunday, March 28, at 12:00 noon. Brooklyn Borough President Marty Markowitz will crack a bottle of egg cream on the Cyclone’s first car as an array of New York City dignitaries and Coney Island fans cheer in celebration. Festivities begin at 11:30 a.m. with the musical pageantry of the Hungry March Band, New York City’s magical street brass march band.

The first 100 people are invited to ride the Cyclone for free, so roller coaster fans are advised to arrive early. “I can’t wait for opening day and the first ride on the Cyclone! It’s become a tradition I look forward to all winter long,” says Angie Pontani aka “Miss Cyclone” of Brooklyn. The burlesque performer favors the front car and always manages to emerge from the thrilling ride without a hair on her beautiful head out of place!

Among the first riders will be Colleen “Cyclone” Whyte of the Bronx, who has ridden "the mother of all coasters" thousands of times, including 70 times nonstop at the celebration of the ride's 70th birthday, in 1997. Whyte is the Regional Representative of American Coaster Enthusiasts (ACE), the largest coaster club in the world.

"The Cyclone has been copied about six times but has never been duplicated," says Whyte, who has ridden hundreds of coasters on three continents and believes that the reason the Cyclone is the best is because it's the one by which all others are measured. "The drops are sharp, the turns tight and it's probably the best maintained coaster and undoubtedly the No. 1 in the world.”

The Cyclone is one of only 17 roller coasters in the world that the American Coaster Enthusiasts have designated as an “ACE Roller Coaster Landmark,” an award reserved for rides of historical significance. Since 1927, the legendary Cyclone has been the definitive ride at Coney Island and has transitioned splendidly over the years. Designated a New York City landmark in 1988, the coaster remains a contender as the public's favorite ride not only at Coney Island but among the 21st century offerings in the amusement industry.

"We are once again proud to be opening another season of the world-famous Coney Island Cyclone,” says Carol Hill Albert, whose family has been operating the roller coaster since 1975. “With the arrival of the new Luna Park, this truly will be one of the most exciting summers in Coney in a long time. The Cyclone crew has been working all winter to polish, shine, replace, and renew the Cyclone from stem to stern. She's ready to sail, and so we say, with our annual Brooklyn Christening, ‘Welcome and All Aboard!’"

On March 28, the Cyclone is expected to kick off a Coney-tastic season of fun at the People’s Playground. From the Mermaid Parade to the Siren Festival to the world- famous Nathan's Hot Dog Eating Contest and Friday Night Fireworks, there is plenty to see and do in Coney Island.

Cylcone ticket prices are $8 for the first ride, $5 for additional rides. For directions and more information visit www.coneyislandcyclone.com

http://amusementtoday.com/

I will provide you with maximum pleasure.

Postby DBru » Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:19 pm

Is the Cyclone currently the only operating coaster in the world running 4-bench trains?

Proud to be SMALLER than Joey

Postby Pingu1651 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:54 pm

^ It's the only place I've seen them, but you never know.

Anyways, this looks pretty cool. I think someone already said this, but this will be major publicity just for Cyclone alone. It should get the attention it deserves, considering it was the basis of a lot of wooden coasters.
I'm 5 feet tall!

Delicious & Refreshing

Postby jedimaster1227 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:26 pm

http://www.brooklynpaper.com/stories/33/14/33_14_ac_ringling_at_coney.html?comm=1

Maybe Coney Island really will be the “greatest show on earth” this summer.

On the heels of the city’s announcement that a major new amusement park would operate from Memorial Day to Labor Day, the Ringling Bros. & Barnum and Bailey Circus is poised to unveil an entirely new (or, at least, newly named) show that will run from June through Labor Day.

“The show is called, ‘Illuscination,’ and it will be thrilling,” said Dick Zigun, founder of Coney Island USA, which runs the sideshow and the Mermaid Parade.

Zigun, of course, is not affiliated with Ringling Brothers — but he knows a good thing when he ballyhoos one.

“We’re letting people know that Coney Island has in fact not shut down,” he said.

Officials from Ringling Brothers, whose “Boom-A-Ring” big top, was one of the few bright spots in a dismal summer last year, wouldn’t comment on the return until all the paperwork is completed. But the company’s Web site describes the “Illuscination” show as a “fantasy-filled world … with eye-popping illusions, mind-blowing transformations,” and of course, acrobats, exotic animals and clowns galore.

The deal to bring back the circus almost didn’t happen, according to Zigun. The circus wanted to rise on the same West 21st Street lot that it occupied last year, but landowner Joe Sitt has filled the land with school busses. Thankfully, Zigun said, the city agreed to take the buses on a West 29th Street lot.

The show will join the all-new Luna Park — an amusement park run by Italian-based ride manufacturer Zamperla — as one of the main attractions at Coney Island this summer.

“With these two major entertainers, Coney Island will really be the greatest show on earth,” Zigun said.
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

I eat bugs.

Postby deathbydinn » Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:16 pm

Add me on Simpsons Tapped Out - jongrundl

Don't make me kick you in the donkey!

Postby disneyfan1313 » Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:29 pm

^^ That is a great idea to have the circus. I am really starting to think they might make some inroads with the "family friendly" park. If they can nail this and convince people to go this will be pretty big!

Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Postby larrygator » Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:23 pm

So I stopped by Coney Island on the way home from softball practice. I had read earlier this weeks that rides could be arriving in a couple of days. Well there are no rides there and the lot still is not paved. Also, posters are around the parks that are similar to those posted above so I honed in to give close-ups of the park layout.
PICT0332.JPG
Mounds of dirt excite some people, but I'd rather see the rides.
PICT0334.JPG
We see a log flume in the front right of the park.
PICT0335.JPG
I spy a Spinning Mouse and a Frisbee and the "new" flat ride in the far back on the right.
PICT0337.JPG
Among other things I see a Wave Swinger, Parachute Drop and the Family Coaster.
PICT0336.JPG
Star Flyer in front of the "new" flat ride, an Electro Spin and another flat in the back right that I could not make out.
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Postby Zack44 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:14 pm

:wtf: Me likey! This is a pretty cool development and it really seems that Zamperla is going the extra mile to get that old nostalgic feeling back to Coney Island. If all this is going on for 2010, I'm really anxious to see how they'll improve on this in 2011. Hopefully, I'll go to the revamped Luna Park if I have nothing to do during the summer and I can convince my family to go with me.

Delicious & Refreshing

Postby jedimaster1227 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:09 pm

Coney Island's Cyclone has started its own Twitter account in anticipation of the opening of the new Luna Park at Coney Island.

http://twitter.com/TheCyclone

And its first tweet ever:

Get ready to ride via best ever Coney Island Cyclone POV vid. From Robb Alvey @ThemeParkReview http://bit.ly/9qFJ3I #rollercoaster #bknews
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Postby larrygator » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:24 pm

By the way - I stopped by on Saturday, April 17th. Still dirt, pavement has not been laid and I saw no rides on site.
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!