Coney Island (Luna Park) Development Discussion Thread

P. 144: Help name the 2020 attractions
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Counts I305 as 32 credits...

Re: Coney Island Development Discussion Thread

Postby A.J. » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:24 pm

That's too bad that the park is spread out with Deno's right in the middle.

But Zamperla makes some great rides. Who knows? They may have a full-size roller coaster in development.
Data entry nut for the official TPR coaster poll! https://coasterpoll.com/
Check out my theme park 3D visualization portfolio!
The opinions that I post on this forum do not necessarily represent those of the company I work for.

Don't make me kick you in the donkey!

Postby WFChris » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:59 pm

Alright, what in the world is this bizarre 'King Kong / Empire States Building / Red Device' ride? Anybody have any ideas? Looks really strange.

Chris.

This donkey is a Know-it-All

Postby andyuk200523 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:57 pm

Looking at the photos, it looks like a similar ride to Vertigo at Tivoli Gardens....

http://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=50484&hilit=vertigo
Andrew

Not sure when next trip is, however May/June 2013 - Canada Baby!!!!!

Am I allowed to eat donkey during lent?

Postby Chroniq » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:23 pm

WFChris wrote:Alright, what in the world is this bizarre 'King Kong / Empire States Building / Red Device' ride? Anybody have any ideas? Looks really strange.

Chris.

Smart money puts "air race" as being a redesigned spinner ala "the flyer" at knoebels. They were not able complete the concept art before the announcement which is why you see the multiple images of the ride. The finished ride will certainly include the empire state building and king kong. I wish zamperla designed that king kong flat ride instead of huss. http://www.hussrides.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=86&Itemid=137 . Jess, your thoughts?

Please Nuderstand This Mozart67. It's Something!

Postby Mozart67 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:46 pm

I'm not sure how everyone else feels, but the modernization of the iconic Luna Park front gate facade is fantastic, and maybe a hint of this "vision" I have been reading about. This will probably sound sappy, but I wouldn't mind seeing a modernization of the complex; sort of a re-imagining of Luna and Dreamland in its glory, a mix of the Coney of legend and the Coney of the Future. As far as rides, a few more modern pieces wouldn't hurt, I have to agree, but the Island was built on its wooden giants: maybe an offering comparable to Holiday World or the Dells wouldnt be such a bad idea. Just my two bits...
HeadOn! Apply Directly to when you just don''t feel fresh. Side effects may include drowsiness, explosive belching, cosplay, and death. Use only when directed and when you have an outbreak, have a Coke and a smile!

Don't let this donkey melt you with its laser eyes!

Postby Steelinwood » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:23 am

I think that the idea of an old world charm is great, but that has failed the park. They need new things which is what they are doing. I think the magic will still be there though.
STUCK IN NH

Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Postby larrygator » Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:18 pm

Update on Coney Island

No real new information, but a link to the video that shows the current state of Coney Island's future Luna Park. The land will be officially handed over on Monday to the developer and there is an expectation that the ground will be ripped up immediately to put in underground infrastructure.

Rides should start arriving in Mid-April, and the park is expected to open May 29th.
Last edited by larrygator on Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:21 pm.
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Postby Zack44 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:02 pm

Impressive, I'll be interested to see how much progress these guys will make in such a short sounding period of time (about 83 days from today if I'm not mistaken). If everything goes off without a hitch by Memorial Day Weekend, that will have to be some kind of new record. =)

Delicious & Refreshing

Postby jedimaster1227 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:10 pm

http://www.nypost.com/p/cyclone_set_unlikely_roll_again_t1PIDIpou5kCx0etyc3dkK

Carol Albert says she expects the landmark Cyclone roller coaster to make a big comeback this summer with the anticipated opening of the new Luna Park next door.

But the Cyclone’s longtime operator isn’t all smiles.

She told the Post that it’s beginning to finally hit her that she’ll never be able to resurrect Astroland Park – which once stood where Luna Park will soon operate -- along another part the fabled boardwalk as she had hoped. “It seems unlikely,” she said.

Astroland closed after 46 years in business in 2008 when Albert failed to reach a new lease deal with then-landlord Joe Sitt. But rather than sell off her rides, she put 22 in storage and has been lobbying the city for a new location ever since. Albert late last year even flirted with trying to reopen the space-themed amusement park with both her old rides and new ones on the former Astroland site. This was after Sitt sold it to the city, so the Bloomberg administration could bring in a new amusement park. But the city instead selected Central Amusement International and its plan for the new Luna Park, which will feature 19 rides by renowned Italian designer Antonio Zamperla and opens Memorial Day.

Now Albert says she’s ready to put her rides on the market and sell them because there’s just no workable space in the amusement area to put them. But traces of the old Astroland will still remain in Coney Island besides the Cyclone. The operators of Luna Park inherited the iconic Astrotower ride that Albert, and then Sitt, left behind because it was too costly to remove. They plan to fix the 275-foot-high attraction and open it to riders again. “I couldn’t be happier about that,” Albert said.

The famous Astroland sign atop the Cyclone still remains, and Albert said this summer it is going green as it will be lit with environment-friendly, LEED-certified lights.

The Cyclone is set to roll in the 2010 season March 28 during a gala event highlighted by Brooklyn Borough President Marty Markowitz cracking a bottle of egg cream on the 83-year-old ride. The Cyclone and the rest of the Coney Island amusement area was hit hard last year by a rainy spring and summer and the closing of Astroland.

Albert said the Cyclone alone saw a 25 percent drop in profits in 2009, compared to the previous year. But she expects a big turnaround this year -- and hopefully plenty of sunshine. “With the arrival of the new Luna Park, this truly will be one of the most exciting summers in Coney in a long time,” said Albert, whose family has been operating the roller coaster since 1975 through a lease with the city.

The Cyclone has been a city landmark since 1988 and is one of only 17 roller coasters in the world that the American Coaster Enthusiasts have designated as an “ACE Roller Coaster Landmark,” an award reserved for rides of historical significance.

“I can’t wait for opening day and the first ride on the Cyclone! It’s become a tradition I look forward to all winter long,” said Angie Pontani, the reigning “Miss Cyclone.” The burlesque performer favors the front car and always manages to emerge from the thrilling ride without a hair out of place.

After opening day, the Cyclone is open daily from March 29 to April 6 and from May 14 through Labor Day. The Cyclone is open weekends only from April 7 to May 13, and after Labor Day through the end of September. Ticket prices are $8 for the first ride and $5 for additional rides. Hours are noon till closing.
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby thrillerman1 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:48 pm

I thought Carol was moving the Astroland rides to Australia at one point. Did I just imagine that?

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!