Coney Island (Luna Park) Development Discussion Thread

P. 144: Help name the 2020 attractions
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Challenge me at Donkey Kong...I dare ya!

Postby Dailey Enterprizes » Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:29 pm

^

What would donkeys be like on the moon?

Postby frozenflames » Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:48 am

When I was at Coney Island over the summer (July 4th to be exact), the whole area did look lie in was in desperate need of some TLC. There were some public areas, like in the bathrooms for the beach, that were downright grungy. Plus the whole time I was there with my family, I was holding my purse as close to me as possible, because I was so worried about getting something stolen, moreso than in any other part of New York.

On the other hand, I think the best part of my day day was getting my Cyclone credit. I thought that was definitely a fun ride.

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Postby CHILLERLC1 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:52 pm

I think I would even appreciate a Volaire at Coney if they have a spare one sitting around. I know the city wants them to get things put in place quickly. I know there's one at Rye but I would appreciate another coaster credit to get. Motocoaster would be awesome, even a Wild Mouse.

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Postby Zack44 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:34 pm

Glad to see some long overdue development in this whole Coney Island ordeal. As long as Zamperla keeps the original, classic theme of the area and combines just the right amount of new and more exciting rides and entertainment, they can make Coney Island a really big hot spot once again.

And I still can't believe I'm defending a park in which the only time I ever went, my beloved iPod was stolen from my car. :(
http://www.coastercounter.com/nbadude44

Finally hit the big 1-0-0!

Don't make me kick you in the donkey!

Postby disneyfan1313 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:55 pm

This might be a silly question, but has Zamprela ever *run* a park before? I looked on their website and it has a brief blurb about "management" but no specifics and I can't remember hearing about them doing more beyond park design.

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby Ryancrash » Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:57 pm

I predict it will be a good ten years or so before we see anything turned into reality, but I'm excited about this just the same. I love Coney Island, but it's been in sorry shape for ages. It would be so nice to see it return to the glory of its past. The key will be finding the right balance of old and new. Keep the Cyclone, the Wonder Wheel, the Sideshow... renovate Spook-a-rama a bit... restore the parachute drop... and yes, put in a big new coaster! The proposed red coaster in the drawings would be awesome. (Personally, I'd like to see an Intamin hyper - something along the lines of Thunder Dolphin, which is shoehorned into a pretty tight footprint at Tokyo Dome City.) This park can be made GREAT again... but it will take some time.

"It's not small, but it is very 'average.'"

Postby Jew » Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:14 pm

^^I'm curious about this too. I wonder if Zamperla is going to run it as a ride showcase for themselves, or use their carnival industry contacts and simply act as the middleman in booking independent rides/games/shows. Or both? Or use it as a sales pitch to carnivals: "buy our ride and we'll give you a place to set it up for the summer!"

There's lots of possibilities. I hope it works out. I'm just glad it didn't end up as condos. The development craze of everything having to be condos/hip/modern/mixed use is really boring. It looks good, but it's so boring and bland.

TPR's Favorite Beaner

Postby RCFreak » Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:51 pm

disneyfan1313 wrote:This might be a silly question, but has Zamprela ever *run* a park before? I looked on their website and it has a brief blurb about "management" but no specifics and I can't remember hearing about them doing more beyond park design.

According to this New York Times article,

Zamperla operates the Victorian Gardens at Wollman Rink in Central Park, as well as Minitalia Leolandia Amusement Park in Capriate San Vervasio, Italy.

Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Postby larrygator » Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:50 pm

We some reason whenever I see that picture (from a couple of posts back) I'm reminded of Grona Lund. I guess I just hope the old and the new can be blended in the right manner.

Ryan - I agree losing the sideshow would be a downer. The sideshow, Cyclone, Wonder Wheel and Nathan's are the heart of the place. I don't hold out hope that the parachute drop will ever be refurbished.

Although the area is really depressed and surrounded by a seedy element, at least cops are always present with a police precinct right around the corner.

I feel safe there, but I think a lot of my comfort level is that native New Yorkers know how to spot and avoid trouble situations.
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:59 pm

I think the place has been cleaned up a lot lately and there were a ton of police on our East Coast Trip visit in 08...too many horse police if you ask me! We were sitting enjoying our original Nathan's when one of the horses took a giant dump right next to us...THANKS NYPD!!!!

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!