Coney Island (Luna Park) Development Discussion Thread

P. 144: Help name the 2020 attractions
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 4 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Coney Island (Luna Park) Development Discussion Thread

Postby Canobie Coaster » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:01 am

^ It's free admission and then you can either get a wristband or pay per ride.

Usually I take the subway, but last year I parked in the lot for the Brooklyn Cyclones. I think it was $10-15?
Top 3 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Coaster (PNE Playland)
Top 3 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Untamed, Expedition GeForce
Most Recent Trip Reports- Rainbow MagicLand & Gardaland

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby coneyislandchris » Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:45 am

^ Yeah, if you're going on a Monday, park in the MCU lot (right next to the baseball stadium). Monday through Fridays parking is $11 and it's better than running back to feed the meter or taking a chance that your vehicle won't get towed. Then from there, it's your choice if you want to take a stroll down the boardwalk or walk down Surf Ave to stop at Nathan's.

Not sure if you're into this or not, Zach, but if you have more time to kill and want to check something out, I'd recommend stopping in at the New York Aquarium. It's just past the Cyclone, and they have a pretty good shark exhibit that just opened up recently. It's not a huge place so you can easily get through everything in two hours or less, but definitely worth a stop.
That coaster dad [336] and that coaster kiddo [216]. Road trip buddies for life.
Dad's faves: Fury 325. Phantom's Revenge. Twisted Timbers. Intimidator 305. El Toro.

Kiddo's faves: Talon. Alpengeist. Raptor. Twisted Timbers. Fury 325.

Postby Canobie Coaster » Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:17 am

How long has the Cyclone required the front two cars to be filled before anyone car ride in the back car? That rule made it quite tricky to get the back row yesterday at the end of the night. Fortunately I got my back row ride earlier in the day. It's a glorious, air-time filled car wreck back there.

I don't remember that being a thing back in 2016. Last year, I went on $5 weekend so it never came into play.

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby coneyislandchris » Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:59 am

^ I think whatever ride op is working that day just kind of makes up those rules on the fly. Last time I was there, they wouldn't let anyone in the back row until all the rows in front of it were filled. And of course they wouldn't let you wait either. I've learned to just accept it and it doesn't affect me much being local.
That coaster dad [336] and that coaster kiddo [216]. Road trip buddies for life.
Dad's faves: Fury 325. Phantom's Revenge. Twisted Timbers. Intimidator 305. El Toro.

Postby Canobie Coaster » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:12 am

The front and middle cars are still great (better laterals), but that back row is truly a near-death experience with all the airtime.

Postby jynx242 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:31 am

^ Back row Cyclone rides are a rite of passage for our people :)

Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Postby larrygator » Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:04 pm

Download the Nathan's app for coupons, you don't want to pay full price. Free street parking could be difficult to find, but you should be able to find parking meters (can pay with credit cards at kiosks), but you can also find asking lots west of Coney Island by the minor league baseball stadium.

Luna Park allows you to buy an unlimited ride card or you can load credits on to a ride card. Based on the cost per ride on the cyclone and the cost per other ride, you can decide which is a better deal.

Rides at Deno's Wonderland Park are not part of Luna Park, nor are a individual ride operators or the B&B Carousel.

I hope that covers everything for you.
Last edited by larrygator on Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:52 pm.
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Postby larrygator » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:59 pm

It's good to know the plans for the log flume and ropes course were not abandoned. The roller coaster is news to me.

https://www.amny.com/things-to-do/luna-park-contest-1.34977727

Coney Island's Luna Park wants customers to name its new attractions

The new attractions -- a ropes course, a log flume, and a coaster -- open in 2020.
Coney Island's Luna Park wants you to help

Coney Island's Luna Park wants you to help it name three new attractions coming in 2020, including this ropes course.
shaye.weaver@amny.com
Updated August 13, 2019 12:16 PM

If you have a knack for naming things, you could be part of Coney Island history.

Luna Park, the seaside amusement park known for the Coney Island Cyclone and Steeplechase, has three new attractions coming in 2020 and it wants the public to help name them.

Through Sunday, Aug. 18, Luna Park will be taking name ideas for a new ropes course — and the person whose name is chosen will get VIP access with 10 of their friends to Luna Park for a day.

The ropes course will be set within a circus-themed area that will allow visitors to climb and zip line and get panoramic views of the beach and boardwalk.

The other two attractions are rides — a log flume ride and a roller coaster, which will be unveiled in the coming weeks, according to lunaparknyc.com.

The second naming contest will open Aug. 19 (the log flume) and the third on Aug. 26 (the roller coaster). Each contest will be open for one week.

"We are excited to offer the Coney Island community and amusement park goers the opportunity to name our upcoming attractions," said Alessandro Zamperla, the president of Central Amusement International Inc. "These competitions engage the community and allow amusement fans to directly impact Luna Park’s legacy. We look forward to seeing all the submissions."

Contestants must be older than 18 to enter and be a citizen of the U.S. and submit an original idea.

VIP access to the park includes unlimited rides and food. Winners will be notified via email by Oct. 23
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby coneyislandchris » Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:53 pm

They just opened the second round of naming (this time for the new log flume), and the rendering makes it appear that the log flume and new coaster will be intertwined. It looks like it's going to be a mild family-friendly coaster, no great surprise there.

839145ED-7D23-45DB-AD2E-5B2906E73254.jpeg
Renderings from the Luna Park FB page

Postby Canobie Coaster » Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:26 pm

When I looked quick, I thought they were making a water coaster. It makes sense to have the two rides intertwined since the park has limited space.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!