Coney Island (Luna Park) Development Discussion Thread

P. 144: Help name the 2020 attractions
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Re: Coney Island Development Discussion Thread

Postby larrygator » Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:24 pm

I generally stop by Coney Island once a week now that it is on the way from work. For those curious souls, ground has not been broken yet on Thunderbolt. But remember, CAI had Luna Park up and running in 30 days.
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

"It's not small, but it is very 'average.'"

Postby Jew » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:21 pm

I wonder if the ride will have footers, or a portable base?

Postby larrygator » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:48 pm

Jew wrote:I wonder if the ride will have footers, or a portable base?

I know this one is from Zamperla, but I can't recall if any of Gerstlauers besides Typhoon are on portable bases. I really don't pay attention to things like that.

"It's not small, but it is very 'average.'"

Postby Jew » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:51 pm

^I think you are correct. I was just wondering if this will be a portable base to not only save some money, but also to introduce the product as a competitor to Gerstlauer. If I remember right, the first motocoaster had a foundation too.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Hilltopper39 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:54 pm

larrygator wrote:
Jew wrote:I wonder if the ride will have footers, or a portable base?

I know this one is from Zamperla, but I can't recall if any of Gerstlauers besides Typhoon are on portable bases. I really don't pay attention to things like that.

I think that some of their more compact models like Iron Shark (Shark! Shark!) and the Spongebob ride at mall of America are on portable bases, but then again that could be due to the nature of those installation.

It seems like the layout of Thunderbolt is much too large to have it designed on a portable base. Then again it is kind of a long skinny plot of land, the kind that probably exists at just about every fair ground in the world.......

(the more I think about it, if this were a portable model it would kind of explain why the layout is so tight and funky. Seems like there is plenty of space there to build a "full size" ride with a unique layout if they really wanted to)

Postby larrygator » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:56 pm

It is a relatively thin plot of land, probably about the same width as The Cyclone. Also, one side of the plot is right up against the minor league baseball stadium and I don't know if there any any restrictions on how close the coaster can be to the stadium.

Postby larrygator » Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:36 pm

The City of New York as extended CAI lease for Luna Park until 2027, the lease was set to expire in 2020.

The City is also expected to renew the lease for the kiddie area of Deno's Wonder Wheel Park. Wonder Wheek park owner Dennis Vourderis already owns the land underneath the Wonder Wheel.

For those that are curious I saw no parts on site for the Thunderbolt when I stopped at Nathan's yesterday.

http://www.ny1.com/content/news/200565/ny1-exclusive--city-extends-lease-of-coney-island-amusement-park-operator

City Extends Lease Of Coney Island Amusement Park Operator
By: Jeanine Ramirez
12/18/2013 11:36 PM

Mayor Michael Bloomberg is taking steps to preserve the footprint he made in Coney Island long after he's gone, as the city has extended the leases of several well-known Coney Island Boardwalk business through 2027. NY1's Jeanine Ramirez filed the following report.

The Soaring Eagle will continue to soar all the way to the year 2027.

In one the final acts of the Bloomberg administration, NY1 has exclusively learned that the city has extended the lease of Coney Island amusement park operator Central Amusement International for an additional seven years. CAI runs Luna Park, Scream Zone, the landmark Cyclone and all of the boardwalk businesses.

The city is also close to finishing a lease extension with Deno's Wonder Wheel Park.

"They've agreed to it, and we're just waiting for the final documents to be signed and sealed and delivered," said Dennis Vourderis, the owner of Deno's Wonder Wheel Park. "So we're very optimistic that will happen."

The Vourderis family owns the landmark Wonder Wheel but leases the land near the boardwalk to run its kiddie park.

"Our lease on the kiddie park section of our amusement park runs currently 'til the year 2020. We've asked to go to 2027," Vourderis said.

Vourderis said it's a great parting gift from Bloomberg, who has invested greatly in the development of Coney Island. In 2005, the city released the Coney Island Revitalization Plan, with initiatives to preserve and grow the amusement area. Luna Park opened in 2010, and Scream Zone opened the following year. The boardwalk got a makeover, among other enhancements in the area.

Coney Island's resurgence has been attracting record crowds, including Beyonce, who just this week released a music video featuring Coney Island in all its glory.

"Mayor Bloomberg not only put in a lot of money into the area by purchasing property and doing several million dollars in infrastructure improvements, but he's also lent us the support of his staff," Vourderis said. "We couldn't have done it without him."

Vourderis said that as a thank you, he'd like to offer a lifetime pass to Bloomberg, who will soon become a grandfather after he leaves office.

"We'd love to see your grandchild here on the kiddie rides some day," Vourderis said.

Those rides, along with the others in the amusement district, are set to spin for more than a dozen years.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Rollercoaster Rider » Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:22 pm

Anyone still think Zamperla opening the park was a bad idea?
Proud Member of the 300 Coaster Club. Joined June 16, 2012
Proud Member of the 400 Coaster Club. Joined August 17, 2013
Proud Member of the 500 Coaster Club. Joined January 30, 2015
Proud Member of the 600 Coaster Club, Joined April 21, 2017

Counts I305 as 32 credits...

Postby A.J. » Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:50 pm

Rollercoaster Rider wrote:Anyone still think Zamperla opening the park was a bad idea?

I never did, honestly.
Data entry nut for the official TPR coaster poll! https://coasterpoll.com/
Check out my theme park 3D visualization portfolio!
The opinions that I post on this forum do not necessarily represent those of the company I work for.

If the donkey is rockin, don't come knockin!

Postby 3Mutts » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:27 pm

Rollercoaster Rider wrote:Anyone still think Zamperla opening the park was a bad idea?

No, in fact I think Zamperla taking over the park was a good idea (they really helped spruce the area up by removing non historic junkie carnival rides).
Coaster Count: 142 total 94 steel 48 wood
Favorite Steel Coaster: Skyrush at Hershey Park
Favorite Wood Coaster: A tie between The Voyage at Holiday World and T Express at Everland
I'm posting from a IPad so I can't enable pics/video

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!