Shanghai Disney Resort Discussion Thread

P. 100: Zootopia themed land coming to Shanghai Disneyland!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 3 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Favorite element on SkyRush is the Stengel Dive!

Re: Shanghai Disneyland Discussion Thread

Postby BDG » Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:35 am

Looks like that Tron layout that leaked 2 years ago was real.
tron.jpg

Delicious & Refreshing

Postby jedimaster1227 » Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:06 pm

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2014/06/worlds-first-production-of-disneys-the-lion-king-in-mandarin-to-be-presented-at-shanghai-disney-resort/

From Treasure Cove to Enchanted Storybook Castle, we’ve been showing you updates on the progress of Shanghai Disney Resort, and today I’m excited to tell you about another one-of-a-kind experience in development for the newest addition to our worldwide family of Disney Parks.

Disney’s musical event, THE LION KING – the landmark Julie Taymor production, exactly as seen on Broadway and in productions around the world – will be presented at Shanghai Disney Resort in partnership with Disney Theatrical Productions. The world’s first production of Disney’s THE LION KING in Mandarin, this groundbreaking show will be performed in a new, world-class, 1,200-seat Broadway-style theater, located in the retail, dining and entertainment area currently under construction adjacent to Shanghai Disneyland park.

“We are thrilled to bring Disney’s THE LION KING to Shanghai Disney Resort,” said Mike Crawford, General Manager of Shanghai Disney Resort. “Working with our partners at Disney Theatrical Productions to have the world’s most successful and popular stage musical in Mandarin for the first time, here at our ‘must-visit’ entertainment district, will provide a great centerpiece for the area and an amazing opportunity for the people living in and traveling to Shanghai.”

“It is especially exciting for us to premiere THE LION KING at this brand new theatre at Shanghai Disney Resort, marking our first collaboration with our partners at Disney Parks and Resorts,” said Thomas Schumacher, President and Producer, Disney Theatrical Productions. “This uniquely Chinese production will be our most ambitious yet, featuring the very best of local talent, who will perform the show for the first time in Mandarin as they bring Julie Taymor’s singular theatrical vision to life.”

At the time of its opening, the Mandarin production will mark the 10th concurrent worldwide production of Disney’s THE LION KING – the highest number of productions running at any one time in the show’s history. To date, Disney’s THE LION KING has played 18 countries on every continent except Antarctica.
image.jpg
Last edited by jedimaster1227 on Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:06 pm.
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

Gimme Some Candy!

Postby coasterfreak101 » Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:11 pm

Awesome! This show should reach as many markets as it possibly can, and it's even better that its getting its own original theater - that means there should be no compromises (i.e. the rising Pride Rock) that some of the other permanent or travelling shows have.
1. Skyrush | 2. Maverick | 3. The Voyage | 4. El Toro | 5. Outlaw Run
6. Millennium Force | 7. I-305 | 8. Medusa: SC | 9. X2 | 10. Phoenix

Coasters: 290
Parks: 51

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:04 pm

It'll be interesting to see how this works out. The idea of a actual Broadway show as "permanent" attraction at a park is intriguing. I wonder if they'll get enough guests to make it profitable over the long haul.

Delicious & Refreshing

Postby jedimaster1227 » Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:16 pm

It'll be interesting to see how it does as a permanent venue outside of the park, like La Nouba is at Downtown Disney at Walt Disney World. This is the first official confirmation of an entertainment space beyond the park berm along the lines of Downtown Disney. I'll be curious to see what else gets announced for this unarmed retail/dining/entertainment space in the future...
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

I wrote the book about donkeys!

Postby jzoole » Sun Jun 15, 2014 6:28 pm

The concept of having a permanent show in residence on an amusement resort isn't really all that new. Downtown Disney has had a permanent Cirque du Soleil show in residence that's been running for 16 years, and Universal CityWalk has had a permanent production of Blue Man Group running since 2007. Also, Resorts World Sentosa (the complex that Universal Studios Singapore is a part of) has a resident production of a musical called Voyage de la Vie. So a permanent production of The Lion King at SDL is pretty much the same idea. I think it's a great idea, and if ticket sales start to wane after a number of years (which I doubt would be a problem) they could always switch out the production for any of the other Disney musicals.

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:24 pm

Cirque de Soleil's ZED was The One for Tokyo Disneyland, yet a huge theatre to fill,
massive electrical set-ups, which is no stranger to a Cirque show... but the locals
couldn't keep up the support with really expensive seats...and then an earthquake in
2011 helped supposedly put it out of it's (glorious) misery that fall.

I got to see it, thanks TDL!, in 2011 before it was closed up, leaving only the shell of
a HUGE theatre to deal with.

Bon Chance to this one. Hope it works out for everybody especially the gp and Disney.
Resize of IMG_2888.JPG
All that's left of ZED. )o: (Taken on the TPR Japan tour, 2013)
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:28 pm

Disney & More.com just posted some concept art for the two hotels currently being
built in time for SDL's opening. The odd one of the two is definitely the Toy Story Hotel.
They show a night model shot and interior of this hotel as well.

Looks interesting, and probably the lesser priced of the two hotels, so far. :mickey:
Hotel01.jpg
The Main Hotel, opposite the Park, with a lake between them.
Hotel02.jpg
The second, Toy Story Hotel, with it's odd shape, and the TRON Coaster show building behind it!
Hotel03.jpg
Night shot of the concept art, and interior of one of the rooms. Looks nice to me.
Last edited by Nrthwnd on Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:39 pm.
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby jray21 » Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:31 pm

The Toy Story Hotel looks interesting. I really can't wait for this park!

MUST BUY RMC MERCHANDISE!!!!

Postby gerstlaueringvar » Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:09 am

Why does that shield in front of the hotel looks a bit "communism"? :lol:

Look forward to visit the park!

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!