Shanghai Disney Resort Discussion Thread

P. 100: Zootopia themed land coming to Shanghai Disneyland!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
OMG! A TALKING MUFFIN!

Postby DATman » Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:56 pm

^It's Alton Towers' wet dream.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby kirkf1tz » Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:56 pm

monsterfan99 wrote:However, the bigger problem I see is trying to convince China that the Disney characters mean something. It is hard enough to get kids today to care about Mickey Mouse with all the other entertainment options in a country where he is an icon.

When I was in China a year ago, at an outdoor mall in Ningbo, there were THREE Disney stores. Kid's Disney, Disney Sport, and an Adult Disney. The adult store even had lingerie with Mickey on it. Mickey was an icon there, most everyone knew who he was.

I don't think getting the Chinese to care about the characters will be a big hurdle for Disney. They've learned a lot since HKDL, but I think there are other bigger cultural issues that will present challenges.

--Kirk
IMG_1377.JPG

What would donkeys be like on the moon?

Postby A113 » Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:09 am

Really, another park in Asia isn't necessary :lolr: . I'm pretty sure HKDL and TDL already suffice, so a park in Australia, South Africa, another US State, or possibly Mexico would be cool. I do know that the economic state and demographics of a couple of these aren't strong enough to support the entertainment that Disney has to offer.

TPR's Olden Goldie

Postby ebl » Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:19 am

^ Remember, though, China has an incredibly large population that can support a Disney park---or two---on the mainland. I wouldn't be surprised to someday see Disneyland Beijing.

Eric
My Honda will run ringz around your Saturn.

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:25 am

kirkf1tz wrote:
monsterfan99 wrote:However, the bigger problem I see is trying to convince China that the Disney characters mean something. It is hard enough to get kids today to care about Mickey Mouse with all the other entertainment options in a country where he is an icon.

When I was in China a year ago, at an outdoor mall in Ningbo, there were THREE Disney stores. Kid's Disney, Disney Sport, and an Adult Disney. The adult store even had lingerie with Mickey on it.

They aren't real stores. They are Chinese knock-offs. It's very hard to tell the difference sometimes, but we also went into quite a few of these "Disney Stores" at a few outdoor malls around China.

The merch inside is not officially licensed. None of it is. It's all very good quality, and may very well be made at the exact same place as the official stuff, but it's not a real Disney store.

--Robb

Postby A113 » Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:28 am

EBL wrote:^ Remember, though, China has an incredibly large population that can support a Disney park---or two---on the mainland. I wouldn't be surprised to someday see Disneyland Beijing.

Eric

Yeah, that's true. I'm just saying that a Disney park in a country/continent with a lack of amusement parks (Australia and Mexico most specifically) could and may attract a larger percentage of tourism, but who knows.

TPR's Olden Goldie

Postby ebl » Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:30 am

^ I agree with you about Australia. Close to Sydney would be the obvious place for it, as the rest of the continent/country is rather barren and sparsely populated.

Eric
My Honda will run ringz around your Saturn.

Postby A113 » Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:35 am

EBL wrote:^ I agree with you about Australia. Close to Sydney would be the obvious place for it, as the rest of the continent/country is rather barren and sparsely populated.

Eric

Exactly. I'm pretty sure a little Finding Nemo charm wouldn't hurt ;)

Starbucks Enthusiast

Postby gisco » Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:58 am

It's all about economics. Population of Sidney is around 4 million. Population of Shanghai is around 20 million. For the people who don't think the Chinese can afford to go to an amusement park, they need to visit one of the Happy Valley Parks.

Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Postby larrygator » Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:13 am

Population of Australia = 22 Million
Population of Shanghai = 16 Million. I specualte that the circulation within 100 miles radius of Shanghai is probably close to 100 million.

For years, China has bulldozed cities and relocated the poorest of people to build factory complexes and power plants so why not amusement parks.

Disney characters are known and popular even in China/Asia. Why else would their be knock-off products and theming at other parks?

EDIT: Bob beat me to the population comment!
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!