Thorpe Park Discussion Thread

P. 236: Black Mirror Labyrinth is coming to Thorpe Park
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Postby Nosferatu » Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:09 pm

After all the talk of adding a B&M flyer or S&S 4d, I'm a bit disappointed that they choose to install a eurofigheter. The rides are cool, but they aren't quite Intamin or B&M league!

This B&M donkey is so smooth!

Postby WildMouse » Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:21 pm

Yes, but that's all it was, talk. I'd take a Eurofighter over Air part 2 any day :P

DelGrosso's Sauce + Enterprise = VOMIT!

Postby Wood Dragon 1988 » Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:24 pm

Air part 2 was supposed to have a pretzel loop, so you would at least get something Europe has never seen. I was actually excited about a new custom B&M Flyer. There's no way it would have been as lame as Air, with less height restrictions compared to Alton, and the fact that it would have been B&M's 4th flyer model, not the first.

token black guy

Postby jarmor » Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:42 pm

StealthFan wrote:May I introduce to you Mystery Mine Two - What If There Is Light At The End Of The Tunnel?

Personally I think this is Thorpe showing they cant come up with anything unique to save their lives. This is like Mystery Mine version 2 really, I mean its a mine theme and also it has the moving cogs theming by the lift. Personally I think they could have done alot better but thats my opinion.

I will be reserving my judgement of the final ride until its complete and that is if the ride has planning permission granted. They will have alot of problems I think because they want to remove some tress and from what i've seen some of them are very very old trees.

Also can I please remind everyone what happened with Stealth theming such as the grandstand queueline. That had permission accepted then suddenly it wasn't there anymore. Thorpe have a habit of getting permission for something then doing something very different when it comes to theming.

Honestly...how many people over there has ever heard of mystery mine let alone dollywood! I dont see anything similar to this and MM at all. This coaster actually looks much larger and longer than MM and it seems to be an exclusive outdoor coaster. I applaud the park for installing this UNIQUE looking coaster rather than some off the shelf B&M or intamin coaster and went a totally different route. I would rather this park get this coaster than what it has been doing the last several seasons an that is getting virtually the same coaster that alton towers has but their own version. It's like having mcdonalds and burger king on the same block. Both offer the same things but one is slightly different...but the same thing. Having ridden MM I think these coasters are quite fun and a plus for any park that opens one.
"B&M will NEVER build a coaster over 300 ft..." until 2012
"Cedar Fair will NEVER build a coaster taller than MF..." until 2015

Turtle Maker

How many did you spot?

Postby eBen » Sat Nov 17, 2007 1:35 am

IceDragon wrote:They're also getting rid of the trees behind Samurai.

I always liked that bit too - although the back is surrounded by green (plants to keep) there is a huge blob of red so there could be some left, but the 'wall' probably gone. *We get a wall of coaster instead.

I wonder if when it goes very close to loggers leap (flume) it has the same charm as when the runaway mine train goes though the same tunnel as the rapids at Alton. Or will it just take hiding space away from the bears.

Even if it does end up a flop which i don't think it will at least we will be able to walk under one of the final in line twists on colossus.

Cheer up people - be happy! Ignore the ride type and the fact you have seen it all before. It looks like a great rounded ride. I've seen cheese burgers before and still want them everywhere i go. After all I finally get a dive loop somewhere in my annual pass!

Postby WildMouse » Sat Nov 17, 2007 4:27 am

Wood Dragon 1988 wrote:Air part 2 was supposed to have a pretzel loop, so you would at least get something Europe has never seen. I was actually excited about a new custom B&M Flyer. There's no way it would have been as lame as Air, with less height restrictions compared to Alton, and the fact that it would have been B&M's 4th flyer model, not the first.

Personally, I wanted to see something other than Intamin/B&M (breaking the mould), which is why I applaud the (in my opinion) fantastic looking Gerstlauer Eurofighter plans.

I'll be riding Superman: Ultimate Flight (Great Adv) next year, so will be able to experience the pretzel loop element first hand. Maybe my low opinion of B&M flyer's will change after this ;)

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby bluea61 » Sat Nov 17, 2007 5:37 am

I think this is a great looking investment for Thorpe Park. Its nice to see that they haven't just put in a Spinning Maurer Sohne like Alton's last coaster which is what usually happens. Its a unique custom ride which will impress 99% of the people who ride it. Like has been said already, who of the regular visitors to Thorpe Park has ever heard of Dollywood?

Lets be more positive, we could have ended up with a small Dive Machine with no height or another Air. Don't get me wrong Air is great but it is it's uniqueness that makes it a winner for Alton. If they copied it at Thorpe you lose that.

I for one am excited and will look forward to riding this fun looking coaster. I think the drop and roll in the station building looks great, and a dive loop :b

I know EXACTLY where my passport is!

Postby TPDave » Sat Nov 17, 2007 5:49 am

This looks allright at the moment. I just want to see what it'll turn out like after the budget cuts...

Postby Nemesis Inferno » Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:42 am

Love some people's opinions not only on here but elsewhere about the B&M/Intamin bumming...

According to park legend, the decision on the coaster not being a Flyer was due to the Alton guys saying how mechanically annoying it was for them, and considering Thorpe's record with dodgy opening of rides, doubt they'd want another AIR problem...

People will still go on it, the mainstream will probably love it, especially over here, the over 90 degrees gimmick isn't THAT well known, hardly anyone knows of Oakwood, so Rage is probably more known due to Southend being within reasonable driving distance to London...

BUT it looks good, apart from the lack of SRQ on it :P

And bluea61, Chessie got the other Maurer Sohne, and of course, both went through numerous issues, so I doubt Tussauds/Merlin would wish to get more off them...

And Pretzel Loops aren't that good, Tatsu's was an annoyance more than anything... Dunno if smaller ones are better, but big ones suck... OPINION ;)

Don't make me kick you in the donkey!

Postby verticalzero » Sun Nov 18, 2007 4:32 am

It's a nice touch for TP to add a Euro-fighter for 2009, should get their attendance up and move people from AT.. The south always loses out from the North of England.

My only worry with most Euro-fighters are, the layout is always compact so you can't enjoy the ride for very long.

No "pretzel loop" or "Bent Cuban 8" inverstions are annoying. TP should of pushed EF coasters to a new level..

I'll be happy to ride it, much better than "boring" 1 trick pony "Stealth".
"Roller coaster design is a science, as well as an art: a state of pure bliss".

--------------------------------------

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!