Six Flags Darien Lake (SFDL) Discussion Thread

P. 954 - Wahoo Wave Coming in 2020!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 7 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I wrote the book about donkeys!

Re: Six Flags Darien Lake (SFDL) Discussion Thread

Postby TheAmericanKnight » Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:18 pm

Mike240SX wrote:Once again, Six Flags is the leased operator for the park. They own nothing.

That is the case for the majority of Six Flags parks. I believe Six Flags St. Louis is the only park that they fully own (correct me if I'm wrong, of course).

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Postby Mike240SX » Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:25 pm

Owned Outright:
1. America
2. Discovery Kingdom
3. Fiesta Texas
4. Great Adventure
5. Great America
6. Great Escape Lodge
7. Magic Mountain
8. Mexico
9. New England
10. St. Louis

Management and Operating Agreements:
1. Over Georgia
2. Over Texas (Six Flags also has 53% ownership here)

Operating Agreements:
1. Darien Lake
2. La Ronde
3. Frontier City
-Mike
Total Coasters: 134
Top 10 Steel: Maverick, Skyrush, Intimidator 305, Banshee, Millennium Force, Raptor, Superman: The Ride (SFNE), Top Thrill Dragster, Big Bad Wolf, Volcano
Top 10 Wood: The Beast, El Toro, Phoenix (Knoebels), Boulder Dash, Thunderbolt (KW), Mystic Timbers, Comet (Hershey), Hercules, Shivering Timbers, Jack Rabbit (KW)
Top 5 Hybrid: Twisted Timbers, Goliath (SFGAm), Wicked Cyclone, Great White, Gemini

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby DarienPoint » Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:34 pm

Does anyone know when the contracts for things like Pepsi/Perry/Sahlen's going to end? I highly doubt Six Flags would renew those because no other parks (except Pepsi at Frontier City) have those.
Darien Lake is my home park. :kiss:

Coaster Count: 100 || Parks: 16
100th Coaster: Comet @ TGE :b
Top 10: 1. Superman the Ride | 2. Wicked Cyclone | 3. Millennium Force | 4. Maverick | 5. Leviathan | 6. Goliath (La Ronde) | 7. Kingda Ka | 8. Behemoth | 9. Bizzaro | 10. El Toro

I own the website www.donkey.com

Postby SbSteveZ » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:23 am

Mike240SX wrote:Owned Outright:
1. America
2. Discovery Kingdom
3. Fiesta Texas
4. Great Adventure
5. Great America
6. Great Escape Lodge
7. Magic Mountain
8. Mexico
9. New England
10. St. Louis

Management and Operating Agreements:
1. Over Georgia
2. Over Texas (Six Flags also has 53% ownership here)

Operating Agreements:
1. Darien Lake
2. La Ronde
3. Frontier City

So Six Flags owns the Great Escape Lodge outright, I’m assuming you also include the park itself in that mix? I would’ve thought that would be an operating agreement park with how they brand it.

Out of the three you mentioned, Darien Lake is the only one branded as a Six Flags Park, and will soon have the Six Flags branded Hurricane Harbor too. I find it hard to believe they would be branding the park for no reason, they have to see something in the park. Otherwise they could’ve easily left it as “Darien Lake: A Six Flags Theme Park” and saved some cash keeping all the signage and marketing the same.

I also don’t think with two fairly decent attractions coming to the park with SkyScreamer (a fan favorite at the park) and the new Wahoo Wave and water park refresh were an accident or flukes. To me I see it as they got the dry park updated into the world of Six Flags in 2019, now they’re bringing the water park into that world in 2020, and it’s a great year to do so considering that water attractions seem to be the popular choice for parks this upcoming season.

I’d be surprised if we didn’t see some form of return of DC comics and Looney Toons in the near future. If I’m not mistaken, Six Flags Darien Lake is the only Six Flags branded park without those. Seems odd for them to want the brand recognition without the actual brands there. Right?
Last Coaster: Nitro @ Six Flags Great Adventure
150TH COASTER: The Riddler Revenge @ Six Flags New England
RIDE ON

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Postby Mike240SX » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:27 am

You may be right, and I honestly wish nothing but the best for you amusement park deprived western NYers, just trying to keep people from getting their hopes up too much.
-Mike
Total Coasters: 134
Top 10 Steel: Maverick, Skyrush, Intimidator 305, Banshee, Millennium Force, Raptor, Superman: The Ride (SFNE), Top Thrill Dragster, Big Bad Wolf, Volcano
Top 10 Wood: The Beast, El Toro, Phoenix (Knoebels), Boulder Dash, Thunderbolt (KW), Mystic Timbers, Comet (Hershey), Hercules, Shivering Timbers, Jack Rabbit (KW)
Top 5 Hybrid: Twisted Timbers, Goliath (SFGAm), Wicked Cyclone, Great White, Gemini

I own the website www.donkey.com

Postby SbSteveZ » Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:45 am

"New" info about Fright Fest.

Looks like everything is returning with the addition of that Corridors of Chaos thing (signage already up on the theatre)

Not sure what the other "9 new attractions" are. I assume they're just talking about the remaining Fright Fest offerings - the houses, scare zones, two shows etc.
Screen Shot 2019-09-09 at 12.37.04 PM.png
Last Coaster: Nitro @ Six Flags Great Adventure
150TH COASTER: The Riddler Revenge @ Six Flags New England
RIDE ON

I Love Donkeys!

Postby y2lukin » Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:30 pm

10 new attractions is pretty solid. Looks like they're trying. I know they find it hard to staff these events. It's not like Wonderland where there are millions of people that like a few km from the park. Very impressed with a new light show and food options.

There is no such thing as a donkey punch.

Postby LegendLover » Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:35 pm

Mike240SX wrote:You may be right, and I honestly wish nothing but the best for you amusement park deprived western NYers, just trying to keep people from getting their hopes up too much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xrsjo5V5qs

Postby Haymaker » Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:20 am

Viper's exit is re-routed and Rowdy's Ridge is closed. Some pavement markings in front of Viper's entrance appear to be infrastructure work. FF prep is in full swing of course.
20190921_115557.jpg
20190921_120659.jpg
20190921_120704.jpg
20190921_120718.jpg
20190921_120745.jpg

Postby Haymaker » Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:39 pm

FYI save the straw from your 2019 drink cup because SF is going "straw-less" in 2020. This is all you get:
20190922_223543.jpg

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!