Switch to full style
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Post a reply

Re: Six Flags Darien Lake (SFDL) Discussion Thread

Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:43 am

^ I'm not saying they couldn't have painted it or anything, but do you think that having a painted station would stop people from vandalizing / writing on it?
People who do stupid things are going to do stupid things no matter what material something is.

I'm just imagining someone looking at a queue line thinking "You know, I was going to write on this and leave my mark, but someone took the time to paint it... I guess I probably shouldn't..."

Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:20 am

Anyone else heard that Motocoaster is being moved from its current spot? Heard from a friend at the park that they’re currently trying to move it because it’s on a separate power grid than the rest of the park and has been causing issues it’s power outages in the campground area.

Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:49 am

^ They shouldn’t have put it there in the first place. Awkward and dumb location from the beginning. I wonder if this move would end up closing Darien Square to park guests as discussed previously. At the same time I wouldn’t be shocked to see Moto go completely. It’s had a lot of downtime in recent years and it was a prototype from the beginning.

Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:53 am

rjr19 wrote:I’m not saying Tantrum was a bad addition by any means. I’m saying for the type of park they are, they really could’ve spend a little more. Tantrum’s layout was designed to fit tightly on a pier. We are a 7-coaster park with a huge plot of land left from Thunder Rapids to build on. They could’ve gotten a little bigger of a model. And let’s not forget the hilariously cheap station/queue for it. Like they really couldn’t slap some paint over the wood to stop people from writing on it?

If youd read the posts in this thread instead of blathering on about nonsense, you wouldve seen that it was done purposefully on a budget, and had overruns as it is. They got what they could with the money they were allotted.

Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:55 am

gearbm95 wrote:Anyone else heard that Motocoaster is being moved from its current spot? Heard from a friend at the park that they’re currently trying to move it because it’s on a separate power grid than the rest of the park and has been causing issues it’s power outages in the campground area.

If they did, I wonder if itd fit in Ranger's spot. Or if theyd do a couple of shifts and move Haymaker/Silver Bullet and put it there.

Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:14 am

gearbm95 wrote:Anyone else heard that Motocoaster is being moved from its current spot? Heard from a friend at the park that they’re currently trying to move it because it’s on a separate power grid than the rest of the park and has been causing issues it’s power outages in the campground area.

The only place I think they'd move it to is across the street next to the remains of cuda falls.
I can't imagine they would move that coaster somewhere else just because of a power issue. I'm sure it would be cheaper to just upgrade the power, rather than move the whole thing across the park, possible demolish rides, and level out the area.
Though I can see the power issue being plausible, as my friend who works for the park said that twister (rip) was not running a lot because it drew too much power, and would take away from the power capacity that the water park needed.

Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:14 am

The only place I think they'd move it to is across the street next to the remains of cuda falls.
I can't imagine they would move that coaster somewhere else just because of a power issue. I'm sure it would be cheaper to just upgrade the power, rather than move the whole thing across the park, possible demolish rides, and level out the area.
Though I can see the power issue being plausible, as my friend who works for the park said that twister (rip) was not running a lot because it drew too much power, and would take away from the power capacity that the water park needed.

Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:51 am

richwoodrocket wrote:

It would be interesting to know how much it would cost to move it in its current state. The thing has looked as if it were a temporary install since 2008 when it opened

Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:52 pm

SbSteveZ wrote:
richwoodrocket wrote:

It would be interesting to know how much it would cost to move it in its current state. The thing has looked as if it were a temporary install since 2008 when it opened

I cannot imagine it being too hard, since it isn’t actually planted into the ground. It’s laying on wood over the old pool. That being said, I can’t see Ranger’s plot being big enough to house the coaster, a station, and the queue. The only option would be the Cuda hill but the cost to re-shape that land must be astronomical. Honestly the best option at this point would just be to remove it. Too unreliable, capacity is crap, its not in the greatest shape anymore, and since it’s a prototype, it isn’t designed to last forever.

Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:50 pm

In other news, if you look at the Fright Fest page on Darien Lake's event page, it shows the original 3 mazes/walkthroughs we had last season, but also a new one called Corridors of Chaos.
Post a reply
MY LATEST VIDEOS