Darien Lake Discussion Thread

P. 745 - Six Flags Sky Screamer Announced for 2019
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 7 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I own the website www.donkey.com
User avatar
 
Posts: 825
Joined: 15 Oct 2011
Location: Buffalo, NY
Gender: Male

Re: Darien Lake Discussion Thread

Postby anonymouscactus » Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:43 am

Went to Fantasy Island last night for their haunt. (photos compliments of a buddy of mine I went with) -- PS: the only reason he went was because I had a bring a friend free pass and he conveniently crosses Grand Island after work. The only reason I went is because I somehow got roped into a 2019 season pass. WTF was I thinking?

One thing that really impressed me was that they had one of the longest haunted houses I've ever seen. MIDWAY MAYHEM. I think it was even longer than Lake Compounce's 45 minute attraction. Or something.

Image

Image

Next up we had an attraction called "what's in the box"... we asked the employee outside the first haunted house what was in the box and she had no clue. This made me even more excited as nobody knew. Sorry, NO SPOILERS. you have to see for yourself!

Image

Image

Image

Lastly they themed their canoes (note the location on the website screenshot) to be super scary. Seriously, don't touch the water.

Image

Image

One of the couple of scare zones (the rest are not pictured)

Image

To Fantasy Island's credit:
- Silver Comet is still a great ride. Yes the train was literally falling apart and chunks of it were missing, it was a ton of fun in both the front and back.
- While extremely clunky, we had a great ride on the spinning mouse (2 people only sat to one side) holy crap did we get dizzy.
- The first / largest house was actually on par with Jungle Apocalypse at Darien Lake. (No, really) -- They both had the same amount of actors, too. And unlike Darien Lake, they were actually acting and trying.

Image

- "the Awakening" outdoor show, while only seen from a distance, the choreography didn't seem that bad. I caught glimpses from the Silver Comet station and on the ride.
- we missed out on the 4d upcharge thing, and some of the shows.
- Freddie Kruger was a little cold in the one scarezone so they let him wear Nike windbreaker pants
- While we didn't ride, I applaud the enclosed bumper cars / road rage cage. We saw fog spewing from the entranceway.

Image

- I was wearing my Wicked Cyclone hoodie and the op at Crazy Mouse was telling me about his ride on Steel Vengeance but unfortunately it was his only RMC. (is that you RJR19?)
- Mind Warp (?) was actually a really fun ride (despite the loud scary noises it makes and the trainee who released the restraints instead of hitting START.) I thought we were going to die for a brief moment. Honestly it was really good and seeing the comet upside down was neat. If it was any longer I would have puked, however. I didn't feel well the rest of the night, but maybe it was the radioactive canoes talking.

Well I think that's it. :D

Why do I still have a donkey title???
User avatar
 
Posts: 13477
Joined: 16 Feb 2005
Location: The bar
Gender: Male
Age: 30

Re: Darien Lake Discussion Thread

Postby coasterbill » Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:20 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: No wonder people think Fright Fest is good.

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!
User avatar
 
Posts: 204
Joined: 24 Jul 2012
Location: Niagara Falls, NY USA
Gender: Female
Age: 36

Re: Darien Lake Discussion Thread

Postby SaraAB87 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:28 am

I can't tell if this is sarcasm or not.... :b :br

I can see why you got roped into a seasons pass though, they basically force you to get one now so you don't have to pay for parking, which from what I heard is up to $10 per car (or perhaps pay for the cost based on the size of your vehicle) when it used to be free because by the time you pay for one daily admission and the parking fee the cost of those 2 things equals the cost of a seasons pass...

But in their defense Darien is doing the same thing, if you bought the pass when it was on the flash sale by the time you pay for one daily admission and the cost of parking one car you are already up to the cost of a seasons pass.

I know more about donkeys than women!
User avatar
 
Posts: 351
Joined: 04 Jun 2016
Location: Buffalo, NY
Gender: Male

Re: Darien Lake Discussion Thread

Postby rjr19 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:46 am

anonymouscactus wrote:- I was wearing my Wicked Cyclone hoodie and the op at Crazy Mouse was telling me about his ride on Steel Vengeance but unfortunately it was his only RMC. (is that you RJR19?)


Sorry, I wasn't working last night. Didn't know there was another coaster enthusiast working with me! :)
Darien Lake is my home park... :?r

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay
 
Posts: 25
Joined: 19 Dec 2015
Gender: Male
Age: 24

Re: Darien Lake Discussion Thread

Postby Sam826 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:50 pm

anonymouscactus wrote:Went to Fantasy Island last night for their haunt. (photos compliments of a buddy of mine I went with) -- PS: the only reason he went was because I had a bring a friend free pass and he conveniently crosses Grand Island after work. The only reason I went is because I somehow got roped into a 2019 season pass. WTF was I thinking?

One thing that really impressed me was that they had one of the longest haunted houses I've ever seen. MIDWAY MAYHEM. I think it was even longer than Lake Compounce's 45 minute attraction. Or something.

Image

Image

Next up we had an attraction called "what's in the box"... we asked the employee outside the first haunted house what was in the box and she had no clue. This made me even more excited as nobody knew. Sorry, NO SPOILERS. you have to see for yourself!

Image

Image

Image

Lastly they themed their canoes (note the location on the website screenshot) to be super scary. Seriously, don't touch the water.

Image

Image

One of the couple of scare zones (the rest are not pictured)

Image

To Fantasy Island's credit:
- Silver Comet is still a great ride. Yes the train was literally falling apart and chunks of it were missing, it was a ton of fun in both the front and back.
- While extremely clunky, we had a great ride on the spinning mouse (2 people only sat to one side) holy crap did we get dizzy.
- The first / largest house was actually on par with Jungle Apocalypse at Darien Lake. (No, really) -- They both had the same amount of actors, too. And unlike Darien Lake, they were actually acting and trying.

Image

- "the Awakening" outdoor show, while only seen from a distance, the choreography didn't seem that bad. I caught glimpses from the Silver Comet station and on the ride.
- we missed out on the 4d upcharge thing, and some of the shows.
- Freddie Kruger was a little cold in the one scarezone so they let him wear Nike windbreaker pants
- While we didn't ride, I applaud the enclosed bumper cars / road rage cage. We saw fog spewing from the entranceway.

Image

- I was wearing my Wicked Cyclone hoodie and the op at Crazy Mouse was telling me about his ride on Steel Vengeance but unfortunately it was his only RMC. (is that you RJR19?)
- Mind Warp (?) was actually a really fun ride (despite the loud scary noises it makes and the trainee who released the restraints instead of hitting START.) I thought we were going to die for a brief moment. Honestly it was really good and seeing the comet upside down was neat. If it was any longer I would have puked, however. I didn't feel well the rest of the night, but maybe it was the radioactive canoes talking.

Well I think that's it. :D


It was me haha.

Which came first the turtle or the donkey?
 
Posts: 169
Joined: 31 Oct 2015
Gender: None specified

Re: Darien Lake Discussion Thread

Postby ericthewanderer » Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:28 pm

It wouldn't surprise me if that "What's In The Box" attraction was a rip-off of the old "Giant Man Eating Chicken" gimmick circuses used to have :lmao: .

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!
User avatar
 
Posts: 2231
Joined: 19 Jan 2016
Location: across from the Astrodome
Gender: Male
Age: 18

Re: Darien Lake Discussion Thread

Postby SixFlagsAstroworld » Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:44 pm

Coaster Count: 108
Check out my latest project: Cypress Adventures

I know more about donkeys than women!
User avatar
 
Posts: 351
Joined: 04 Jun 2016
Location: Buffalo, NY
Gender: Male

Re: Darien Lake Discussion Thread

Postby rjr19 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:58 pm

After hearing all the negative Fright Fest reviews, I was skeptical, but I enjoyed it, even if some of the scarers didn’t seem very dedicated. I loved all the theming, lighting, and fog effects. The park looked awesome at night. I loved the rides that were running without the lights: Viper, Rolling Thunder, and unintentionally, Tantrum and Giant Wheel =) .

Another thing I noticed that I’m not sure if it came up or not was the tunnnel lights on Viper. Red and white flashing lights illuminated the tunnel at night, which was so cool to see! Also, I can confirm that Pirate was open today and was running faster and higher than last year.

Didn’t do the houses, just didn’t think to, but walking around the scare zones showed me that the actors didn’t seem to really care too much. They weren’t the least bit scary, but oh well. Overall it was a good event, especially with such short notice and limited time for planning! Didn’t think to take any photos, but I’ll try to next visit!
Darien Lake is my home park... :?r

“Fear can make a donkey attack a lion”
User avatar
 
Posts: 338
Joined: 28 Apr 2018
Location: Buffalo, NY
Gender: Male

Re: Darien Lake Discussion Thread

Postby DarienPoint » Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:50 pm

rjr19 wrote:After hearing all the negative Fright Fest reviews, I was skeptical, but I enjoyed it, even if some of the scarers didn’t seem very dedicated. I loved all the theming, lighting, and fog effects. The park looked awesome at night. I loved the rides that were running without the lights: Viper, Rolling Thunder, and unintentionally, Tantrum and Giant Wheel =) .

Another thing I noticed that I’m not sure if it came up or not was the tunnnel lights on Viper. Red and white flashing lights illuminated the tunnel at night, which was so cool to see! Also, I can confirm that Pirate was open today and was running faster and higher than last year.

Didn’t do the houses, just didn’t think to, but walking around the scare zones showed me that the actors didn’t seem to really care too much. They weren’t the least bit scary, but oh well. Overall it was a good event, especially with such short notice and limited time for planning! Didn’t think to take any photos, but I’ll try to next visit!

Don't know what was going on that night but when I went :

-RoS, Boomerang, Predator, and Motocoaster (which without lights was SUPER AMAZING) didn't run with lights on.
-Rolling Thunder had lights on, and they would sometimes flash rapidly (epileptics be warned) and if you looked at it you saw several circles which was cool.
-The scare actors were VERY devoted, ex: the ring masters with their canes would follow my friends and I and tap their cane like a heartbeat, then screamed at us.
-Viper had no lights??? Other than the camera, don't know if that's what you meant because they did move the camera from the 2nd corkscrew to before the tunnel.
Last edited by DarienPoint on Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:52 pm.
Darien Lake is my home park. :kiss:

Coaster Count: 65 || Parks: 12 (I need to branch out and visit new parks :lmao: )
Top 10: 1. Millennium Force | 2. Wicked Cyclone | 3. Superman the Ride | 4. Rougarou | 5. Maverick | 6. Raptor (CP) | 7. Gatekeeper | 8. Top Thrill Dragster | 9. Ride of Steel | 10. Tantrum

“Fear can make a donkey attack a lion”
User avatar
 
Posts: 338
Joined: 28 Apr 2018
Location: Buffalo, NY
Gender: Male

Re: Darien Lake Discussion Thread

Postby DarienPoint » Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:51 pm

Oops, deleted.
Darien Lake is my home park. :kiss:

Coaster Count: 65 || Parks: 12 (I need to branch out and visit new parks :lmao: )
Top 10: 1. Millennium Force | 2. Wicked Cyclone | 3. Superman the Ride | 4. Rougarou | 5. Maverick | 6. Raptor (CP) | 7. Gatekeeper | 8. Top Thrill Dragster | 9. Ride of Steel | 10. Tantrum

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!

Who is online

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 7 guests

These pages are in no way affiliated with nor endorsed by SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment, Cedar Fair, Legoland, Merlin Entertainment,
Blackstone, Tussaud's Group, Six Flags, Universal Theme Parks, the Walt Disney Company or any other theme park company.

All onride photos and videos on this website were taken with the permission of the park by a professional ride photographer.
For yours  and others safety, please do not attempt to take photos or videos at parks without proper permission.

Disclaimer!  You need a sense of humor to view our site, 
if you don't have a sense of humor, or are easily offended, please turn back now!
Most of the content on this forum is suitable for all ages. HOWEVER!
There may be some content that would be considered rated "PG-13."
Theme Park Review is NOT recommended for ages under 13 years of age.

cron