Darien Lake Discussion Thread

P. 745 - Six Flags Sky Screamer Announced for 2019
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 10 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Re: Darien Lake Discussion Thread

Postby Wagon127 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:06 am

dnn2031 wrote:The Pirate may be sailing once again this evening/weekend.

^ Darien Lake has been busy with late season improvements. Finally fixing the Pirate. I heard that Live Nation added new LED screens in the Performing Arts Center right before the last concert of the year as well. Did anybody go to the Kid Rock concert, that can confirm that?

What would donkeys be like on the moon?

Postby Haymaker » Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:05 pm

From what I understand they wanted to fix the Pirate sooner but the part(s) took a long time to arrive.

My favorite roller coaster is dumb.

Postby DarienLaker » Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:17 pm

Couldn't Darien Lake just get a new Pirate Ship ride to replace the old one they have?
Nobody knows a lot about Darien Lake like me! ;)

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby coasterbill » Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:25 pm

Couldn't you just get a brand new car when you get a flat tire instead of replacing or patching it?

“Fear can make a donkey attack a lion”

Postby DarienPoint » Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:28 pm

^ Valid point, but like a car, it gets old and unreliable, so you might as well get a new one.
Darien Lake is my home park. :kiss:

Coaster Count: 65 || Parks: 12 (I need to branch out and visit new parks :lmao: )
Top 10: 1. Millennium Force | 2. Wicked Cyclone | 3. Superman the Ride | 4. Rougarou | 5. Maverick | 6. Raptor (CP) | 7. Gatekeeper | 8. Top Thrill Dragster | 9. Ride of Steel | 10. Tantrum

Postby coasterbill » Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:38 pm

It's a swinging ship.

It's major mechanical components consist of like 2 drive tires. If Six Flags felt like repairing it would be prohibitively expensive they would have bought a new swinging ship, and by "bought a new swinging ship" I mean the would have removed it, used it for parts at their other parks, left the dock and queue in place because they don't give a sh*t and never ever ever ever ever actually bought a new swinging ship because that would be stupid.

Can I park my donkey here?

Postby dnn2031 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:01 pm

Spending close to a million replacing a flat ride with the same thing but newer is pretty far down the list. You aren't really going to get much new attendance on it and that's at least the cost of adding say a second RoS train. Six Flags orders their rides in multiples so if Darien gets another flat announced next year it'll probably be something a few other parks are getting (look at how many pendulums their installing next year). If it's similar to something they already have to replace that's probably more serendipitous than for the sake of updating an old favorite.

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Postby SaraAB87 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:11 pm

coasterbill wrote:It's a swinging ship.

It's major mechanical components consist of like 2 drive tires. If Six Flags felt like repairing it would be prohibitively expensive they would have bought a new swinging ship, and by "bought a new swinging ship" I mean the would have removed it, used it for parts at their other parks, left the dock and queue in place because they don't give a sh*t and never ever ever ever ever actually bought a new swinging ship because that would be stupid.

I am pretty sure every other park would do the same thing. Sometimes rides reach end of life. Then they get removed. As it was already said a park isn't going to replace a ride with the same ride, that doesn't make sense. Marineland's topple tower is still standing, the whole thing, standing for years, un-operational. I went to marineland last year and I didn't even notice this ride standing there, so its not a huge deal to me. It doesn't really make sense to remove and rebuild unless the place is planning on using that spot for another ride or another attraction. Its cheaper to just leave it there. Also I can actually support this idea, because if a park has a SBNO ride, then dealing with it costs money (unless as I said it has to be dealt with to put in a new attraction and this is when they are at the point that it becomes too expensive to repair) and that is less money that they can spend on something new.

It also makes sense for a big park chain to buy rides in multiples, they probably get a good deal and most people aren't going to go to multiple six flags parks in different areas that have the same ride anyways so a lot of parks get something new that way and it increases attendance.

“Fear can make a donkey attack a lion”

Postby DarienPoint » Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:02 pm

Went to Fright Fest tonight, and...

Pirate was open!!!! :br
Darien Lake is my home park. :kiss:

Coaster Count: 65 || Parks: 12 (I need to branch out and visit new parks :lmao: )
Top 10: 1. Millennium Force | 2. Wicked Cyclone | 3. Superman the Ride | 4. Rougarou | 5. Maverick | 6. Raptor (CP) | 7. Gatekeeper | 8. Top Thrill Dragster | 9. Ride of Steel | 10. Tantrum

Postby coasterbill » Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:09 am

SaraAB87 wrote:I am pretty sure every other park would do the same thing. Sometimes rides reach end of life. Then they get removed.

I agree (with the exception of pay-per-ride parks who might actually replace it), the only difference is how they would deal with the empty ride pad. Again though... it’s a swinging ship. It’ll pretty much run forever if they want it to.

PS: Marineland is a dump and should never be used as an example of what “every other park” would do. :lol:

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!