Darien Lake Discussion Thread

P. 745 - Six Flags Sky Screamer Announced for 2019
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 6 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Darien Lake Discussion Thread

Postby Hilltopper39 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:05 am

coasterbill wrote:Darien Lake is a nice little small / mid-market park with an insane fan base that has no grasp on reality. If you go into this park with realistic expectations then you'll have a great time. The Arrow wasn't bad, Ride of Steel is great, Motocoaster is fun, Predator sucks but the Mean Streak trick (front seat, lean forward) works wonders.

Ride Moose on the Loose.

That's pretty much my plan, but Is doing all of that in about 3 hours at opening on a Friday morning conceivable? I'm gonna be at a wedding about 45 minutes south of the park and plan on sneaking away while the wife doing all her bridesmaids stuff that morning, hopefully make it back just in time for the vows and the cocktail hour :b .

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby coasterbill » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:06 am

If you get there right at opening, probably...

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Postby SaraAB87 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:18 am

I believe they had all the dining plans, parking and fastpasses/fast lane added, it was somewhere between 400-500 Canadian. Was also last year's numbers.

If you go when the park is not extremely crowded you will have a good time, the park falls apart when the crowds get insane and you won't have a good time. This goes for well, most other theme parks out there as well except that some can handle crowds a bit better. My suggestion is to go on a weekday during peak season, avoid the week of kingdom bound obviously and try to avoid going on a day when one of the most popular concerts is being held. We are right upon peak season so this is a great time to visit as you won't hit the staffing cuts that happen when the kids go back to school in August and the park is not in the first few weeks of opening lull when everything is not quite up and running yet. The complaints come from one train operations which mostly affects days when the park has insane crowds and some of the buildings and things that haven't been quite fixed up to the standards of other parks.

Holy crap you have a HUGE donkey!

Postby SLCHeadache » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:07 pm

SaraAB87 wrote:I don't consider Canada's Wonderland to really be an option for those in WNY as its quite far away and you have to drive through Canada to get to it.

FWIW, when I was in my hotel room in Toronto and turned on the TV, I saw commercials for Darien Lake, and no commercials for Canada's Wonderland.
Top steel: Millennium Force / Steel Vengeance / Intimidator 305 / Maverick / Fury 325
Top wood: El Toro / Phoenix / GhostRider / Renegade / Flying Turns

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby eanyills » Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:23 pm

SaraAB87 wrote:I don't consider Canada's Wonderland to really be an option for those in WNY as its quite far away and you have to drive through Canada to get to it.

Is going to Canada really a problem for most WNY’ers? I feel like most people with kids/adventurists who would even contemplate going to another park can and already do go to Canada quite often.

I also wouldn’t call two-two and a half hours far away. I think it’s fair to say Canada’s Wonderland is Darien’s regional competitor, or at least where standards and targets should be set.

Postby SaraAB87 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:38 pm

I guess enough people here have the border crossing stuff these days, its basically required anyways, but its still pretty far away from Darien Lake. Some people do take theme park trips so its not unusual but most people in my area probably wouldn't travel there. I don't see Marineland ads anymore here in Niagara Falls NY. I could see people going from WNY to Cedar Point more than going to CW.

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby SbSteveZ » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:54 pm

SaraAB87 wrote:I guess enough people here have the border crossing stuff these days, its basically required anyways, but its still pretty far away from Darien Lake. Some people do take theme park trips so its not unusual but most people in my area probably wouldn't travel there. I don't see Marineland ads anymore here in Niagara Falls NY. I could see people going from WNY to Cedar Point more than going to CW.

As a Wesern New Yorker whom has a season pass for Darien Lake as well as a Platinum Pass with all season FunPix I can say that I have been to wonderland more than Darien Lake this year so far. It’s not insanely far away. Darien is about 45 minutes away from me, and depending on the border I can get to Wonderland in about an hour and a half. The extra 45 minutes is incredibly worth it for a park with 16 coasters, a bunch of unique and fun flat rides, and a world class atmosphere curtosey of Cedar Fair. I paid for my platinum pass monthly from August to January so by the time the season began I didn’t even have to worry about admission prices anymore. Thanks to the current exchange rate as well as 15% off of purchases within CW, I don’t think for me a meal plan is all that worth it and I’m totally fine with the reduced cost for things at the park. I ate at the buffet it midevil faire for $15. I can’t complain for that price. Nor am I upset with a $6 bevertail. Canada’s Wonderland is far from what I’d consider expensive - I know of a certain World in Florida tan by a mouse that charges $900 Plus for their annual pass and that’s the baseline product they sell. I just spent well over $1,000 for a budget trip to WDW where as I spent less than $100 for gas, food and merchandise on my last two trips to Wonderland combined. For what it’s worth Darien Lake has become more of a “there’s nothing better to do so let’s go to the park” place for me and my family - and that’s totally fine. We still visit upwards of 10 times a year and as long as they have a laser show they’ve got me from whenever I arrive until the park closes. Cedar Point, though freaking awesome isn’t as easy to just get up and go to as DL and CW are for most people in WNY. Sure, for people with Platinum Passes it’s totally worth a drive a couple times a year, but it’s not (for most people) an easily accessible park. You’d be surprised how many people have the ability to cross the border nowadays especially in the Buffalo area. With it being so close a bunch of WNY folk travel up there all the time. My main point in this whole spiel is that CW isn’t as impossible or expensive as some may think. And though Darien Lake isn’t awful, and it has a lot going for it, I wouldn’t say that there’s no alternatives nearby that aren’t reasonable because depending on what you purchase, that’s just not the case. You don’t need a fully loaded pass to have fun at CW, or any park for that matter. It’s just a fun perk that people can have if they want it.
Last Coaster: Steel Vengeance @ Cedar Point
100TH COASTER: Steel Force @ Dorney Park
RIDE ON!

Fluffy, Fluffy, Donkeys Filled With Medicine and Goo!

Postby 3Mutts » Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:28 pm

eanyills wrote:

Is going to Canada really a problem for most WNY’ers? I feel like most people with kids/adventurists who would even contemplate going to another park can and already do go to Canada quite often.

I also wouldn’t call two-two and a half hours far away. I think it’s fair to say Canada’s Wonderland is Darien’s regional competitor, or at least where standards and targets should be set.

It can be, I remember when we went to CW in 05 and it took us 5 hours to get there due to the border and Toronto's awful traffic.
Coaster Count: 142 total 94 steel 48 wood
Favorite Steel Coaster: Skyrush at Hershey Park
Favorite Wood Coaster: A tie between The Voyage at Holiday World and T Express at Everland
I'm posting from a IPad so I can't enable pics/video

Postby Haymaker » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:23 pm

SbSteveZ wrote:Darien is about 45 minutes away from me, and depending on the border I can get to Wonderland in about an hour and a half.

If it takes you 45 minutes to get to Darien from Depew, youre doing it wrong. Very, very wrong. And if it takes you an hour and a half to get to CW, youre speeding and not hitting any traffic.

Postby SaraAB87 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:04 pm

3Mutts wrote:
eanyills wrote:

It can be, I remember when we went to CW in 05 and it took us 5 hours to get there due to the border and Toronto's awful traffic.

Yeah I was kind of basing my initial assumption on the fact that the one time I went to toronto it took us over 4 hours to get there, and its about what, 4-6 hours to CP from WNY, so I just assumed that anyone willing to travel to CW is probably also willing to travel the distance to CP. Again travel time to destinations in Canada varies heavily on your timing and it can also be very random, you could be stuck in hours long traffic at the border depending on which border crossing you use or else you could have a border crossing experience where it takes you less than 5 min. I saw on the news that the 401 in Toronto is one of the most busy highways in the whole world which I assume you need to use it to get to CW so there is that to contend with. Several times I went to DL I met people who have been to CW who preferred DL because it wasn't as crowded. I wonder how long it takes by bus, I think you can get a bus from the Niagara area for around $30 to Toronto.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!