TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Darien Lake (SFDL) Discussion Thread

I said that I don't know why anyone cares, I'm not questioning the fact that the five people that frequent this thread care, I just don't know why.

The ride is awesome and the ride experience would be exactly the same regardless of what they name it. It could be called "Takis Fuego Left and Right Twix Fusion Adventure Sponsored By göt2b®" and it would provide the same awesome ride experience.

They'll probably change the name at some point, I don't know why people want it to be a priority. They're busy building an awesome 242 foot tall Sky Screamer that nobody in this thread has posted about in over a month because people are obsessed with things that barely matter.

^Yea, but perhaps it matters to them...regardless how trivial it is to me and you.

The sky screamer is a great ride...but with just about every major park having some kind of version of it, it's just not as exciting as something like a coaster to some.

Call me weird, but I personally enjoy ride theaming and when you think six flags, you think of super heroes and looney tunes.

The sky screamer is a great ride...but with just about every major park having some kind of version of it, it's just not as exciting as something like a coaster to some.

Nobody is debating that the majority of enthusiasts and GP would find the coasters in question more exciting than a SkyScreamer. The point is that the coaster is already there, the coaster has been there for 19 seasons and the coaster will delivery the same ride that is has the past 10 years. This ride experience will not change with a re-theme.

It could be called "Takis Fuego Left and Right Twix Fusion Adventure Sponsored By göt2b[emoji2400]" and it would provide the same awesome ride experience..

e969b3f1638fd3b9af84d739381fa4d9.jpg

Yeah, I'm with him on this one... AND it even has a nice ring to it.

BRB, calling Six Flags on the diamond elite message line bat phone and suggesting the name... thanks, coasterbill!

Edit: I left a message but they replied via email: "Thank you for letting us know. We will pass this suggestion along to management. Sorry for the inconvenience of not theming our rides this year, but be on the lookout soon, big things really ARe coming sooneR rather than later! wOo Woo!"

If you look closely, I think they even dropped a cryptic hint of their next addition!!! Maybe they will throw us for a loop (ha.) and re-theme Viper instead? Maybe go back to the color green? And call it "SURGE: feed the rush, life's a scream!"???

77d4767284c79bc086fb5a2f369f5c16.jpg

The future is looking bright! Yay Six Flags!

Edited by anonymouscactus

Edit: I left a message but they replied via email: "Thank you for letting us know. We will pass this suggestion along to management. Sorry for the inconvenience of not theming our rides this year, but be on the lookout soon, big things really ARe coming sooneR rather than later! wOo Woo!"

So what Arrows were recently or soon to be disassembled to be transplanted to this park?

I honetly can't see Six Flags letting their signature attraction there only have one train.

The exact clone of this ride at another Six Flags park would like a word with you. While I'm told that it technically has a second train (though that might just be an urban legend) it's rarely even on the transfer track and reports of it actually using both at the same time generally only pop up once every few years. Personally I've never even seen it.

You can't see a small market Six Flags park operating one train on a major attraction? Really? That's like saying you can't see a small market Wal Mart operating with only one cash register open.

Actually the majority of my visits to SFA this year have seen two train operations on most of the coasters that were running - heck, I even caught dual-station Batwing on two separate visits, and I've never seen Superman's 2nd train anywhere other than in operation or on the transfer track. Granted most of my visits were on busier days, but still impressive considering SFA's reputation. Heck, even the dispatch times were generally tolerable. Anyway back to your regularly scheduled battle on how SF should change DL

I said that I don't know why anyone cares, I'm not questioning the fact that the five people that frequent this thread care, I just don't know why.

The ride is awesome and the ride experience would be exactly the same regardless of what they name it. It could be called "Takis Fuego Left and Right Twix Fusion Adventure Sponsored By göt2b®" and it would provide the same awesome ride experience.

They'll probably change the name at some point, I don't know why people want it to be a priority. They're busy building an awesome 242 foot tall Sky Screamer that nobody in this thread has posted about in over a month because people are obsessed with things that barely matter.

As one of the five regulars - I mentioned it as a “cheap” (relatively speaking) “addition” to the park that would enhance the experience of the park’s star attraction. Yes I understand it’s a second train and a name change, but the fact that it’s been called Ride of Steel since 2007, and 11 years later, guests still refer to the ride as it’s original name, says to me that the return of the man of steel theming would be welcome. Not to mention, the ABILITY to run the ride at normal capacity would be nice.

To me that seems like quite a Six Flags addition, since most claim to keep expectations lower than low. One train and some branding sponsored by Takis or something ridiculous. Calling it new and moving on. Because that’s what six Flags does, right?

Yes, they have a new swing ride coming, and I’m excited to have something like it in the park. Whenever “what could they do for a new attraction” came up, one of my top suggestions was a wind seeker type attraction. I’m glad that top management had a similar thought. However, there has been absolutely no updates from the park on where the attraction is going, no construction photos and certainly no live webcams - in true Darien Lake fashion of course. Therefore people like me and the other 4 regulars like to try and discuss things like the inevitable branding of attractions and how they may do it when the time comes to pass time as we wait for the season to start up again.

Hopefully this helps answer the why that you are looking for. It’s a discussion thread after all. And for some of us the transition back to Six Flags is exciting and worth talking about. That includes branding rides and other minor things. It’s the off season and we’re discussing a park that posts very little during this time of year.

As one of the five regulars - I mentioned it as a “cheap” (relatively speaking) “addition” to the park that would enhance the experience of the park’s star attraction. Yes I understand it’s a second train and a name change, but the fact that it’s been called Ride of Steel since 2007, and 11 years later, guests still refer to the ride as it’s original name, says to me that the return of the man of steel theming would be welcome. Not to mention, the ABILITY to run the ride at normal capacity would be nice.

To me that seems like quite a Six Flags addition, since most claim to keep expectations lower than low. One train and some branding sponsored by Takis or something ridiculous. Calling it new and moving on. Because that’s what six Flags does, right?

Yes, they have a new swing ride coming, and I’m excited to have something like it in the park. Whenever “what could they do for a new attraction” came up, one of my top suggestions was a wind seeker type attraction. I’m glad that top management had a similar thought. However, there has been absolutely no updates from the park on where the attraction is going, no construction photos and certainly no live webcams - in true Darien Lake fashion of course. Therefore people like me and the other 4 regulars like to try and discuss things like the inevitable branding of attractions and how they may do it when the time comes to pass time as we wait for the season to start up again.

Hopefully this helps answer the why that you are looking for. It’s a discussion thread after all. And for some of us the transition back to Six Flags is exciting and worth talking about. That includes branding rides and other minor things. It’s the off season and we’re discussing a park that posts very little during this time of year.

However, there has been absolutely no updates from the park on where the attraction is going, no construction photos and certainly no live webcams - in true Darien Lake fashion of course.

They probably wont be doing any vertical construction until the spring. If they can put Tantrum up in in the spring before the season starts it shouldnt be a problem for this. Its been mentioned that its going in the Twister/go kart area, so Twister's removal might be all you would see right now.

Thanks SbSteveZ. You basically summed it up.

They did it very quickly at Frontier City and they're being very aggressive with the expansion of the event.

As I just mentioned I don't get the overwhelming sense of urgency that Darien Lake fans have with every single thing but that aside, objectively I wouldn't be at all surprised if they add Holiday in the Park to Darien Lake very soon. If they do it next year then it virtually guarantees Q4 growth chain-wide and knowing with absolute certainty that they can beat their chests to the shareholders again seems to be a big motivating factor for them.

I cant see it happening, they cut short the last 2 days of Fright Fest because of weather.

The torrential downpours that were occurring those nights warranted early closing of the park. There are snow storms here but that doesn’t mean holiday events can’t exist in our area. The fairgrounds have an event, Niagara Falls Ontario has lights everywhere with new outdoor activities, and Darien Lake would very likely see crowds for a holiday event if it is as well done as those who have been to HitP events say it is. All parks with winter events close when there’s bad weather, most parks close during the regular season if there’s really bad weather. It’s an outdoor venue. I think it would be pretty cool to see the park covered in snow in person with holiday lights everywhere, and I’m sure I’m not in the minority with that statement - even Bill thinks it’ll happen and he’s probably the most realistic with things like this.

^ This (and thanks, lol)

It doesn't matter if it's 80 degrees and raining all day in July or 25 degrees and snowing all day in December. Six Flags parks will be dead and will likely close early or not open at all when there's prolonged precipitation of any kind regardless of temperature or season.

If you had told me that it was a sunny day but the park was empty because it was too cold and then it closed early for weather then I would care. That's not what happened, therefore I don't care and neither does corporate. Six Flags Great America says hi.

Here’s my thoughts on HITP at Darien. Sure, we have many winter events around the Buffalo area, and they are quite successful, such as The Ice at Canalside, or the Festival of Lights. But there’s one thing that separates Darien from Canalside or the Hamburg Fairgrounds. Location, Location, Location. When it’s real snowy outside, people are cautious about driving long distances. A lot of people likely wouldn’t want to drive forever down the 90 for it. For example, where I am, up closer to Niagara Falls, it takes roughly an hour to get to DL. Many wouldn’t want to do that in potentially nasty winter weather.

Another thing is that people just wouldn’t have a huge motive to drive about an hour each way for a winter event, when there are so many closer options in wintertime in the Buffalo Niagara Region. I’m just not sure if enough people would be willing to drive out to the middle of nowhere in bad, snowy weather to go to a holiday event. I would do it, but I bet that many would not.

^ Agreed, so many winter fest events in Rochester also. For me a 45 minute drive that I would not do if weather were even a little tricky to drive in. If the weather is fine , being a season pass holder, then maybe once to check it out. Other than that there is more than plenty of winter stuff to do in western NY without having to travel far. If however, they were to say run Ride of Steel, I would probably force myself to go more just to get my coaster fix in.

The argument about people from Buffalo being cautious about driving on days with nasty winter weather is a non-issue since the park wouldn't be open on those days anyway.

The argument about location is fair, but I don't think it's far enough outside of the metro area that they wouldn't give it a shot. It's really only about 25-30 minutes from some of the populated suburbs. It's not really out of line with a lot of their other parks that are running Holiday in the Park events. They've been very aggressive with this event.

Don't they also have a hotel attached to this park? If they marketed it correctly, they could try some kind of stay and play deal in the winter.

That is correct. It would make Holiday in the Park highly marketable for those who do not live in the area of Darien Lake. It is a benefit that most parks do not have. Let's just wait and see what happens.

Darien Lake is the largest theme park in New York State if I understand correctly. If they invest in a well rounded and well done holiday event, there is not a doubt in my mind that people would show up for it. Their half baked Halloween event brought insane crowds. Viper had an almost 2 hour line one of the last weekends I visited, and those pay-to-do haunted houses had solid lines the entire time. To try and argue that the park wouldn’t have similar results with a HITP event to me is a little bonkers. There’s so much potential for them to have the premier, top of the line must do holiday event. And compared to most other events in the area, that would be wonderful to have. I’d gladly drive a half hour or so to see what they can pull off.

For comparison let’s think of what we have now

Hamburg Fairgrounds - 2 mile lights display, featuring small family activities, aside from the display the only other thing worth much time is the Kandy Kane show and lets be honest the Festival of Lights has seen much better years

Great Pumpkin Farm - if they still do it, they had a 1 mile lights display with similar events to the fairgrounds

The Ice at Canalside - ice skating, curling, bumper cars, icicle bikes. Yes they have the adult refreshment place, but it’s not much of a holiday event, more than it is a winter event. They have a one night tree lighting which this year was crazy packed - but it’s also worth considering it’s in the city, parking isn’t always great, and not everyone is in to skating and skating-esque activities

Niagara Parks Winter Lights - this is more or less a drive through event with some outdoor elements that were added this year, it’s a cool thing to see and their lighting sculptures are 3D instead of the 2D scenes that the fairgrounds have, which is a nice change - and it’s free unlike the other things mentioned, however it’s a crowded slow crawl that feels more like rush hour with lights around you more than a holiday event - but that’s just my opinion

My point with all of that is that there isn’t really anything like what Six Flags does at most of its parks near SFDL, and to put the effort into an event like that? It could easily become the best holiday event in all of WNY. And if you look at how crazy busy the fairgrounds have been this year, with the lack luster lineup they have this year, you’ll know right away most Western New Yorkers could care less about the weather conditions. If they want to attend a holiday event, they’re going to. No matter how stale it may be (they really gotta mix things up and offer some more - they keep cutting it down and it doesn’t look good for the future of the festival if they keep it up).