Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

P. 1086:Christmas Town opens!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 11 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Can I park my donkey here?

Re: Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

Postby horootle » Sun Jan 31, 2016 3:58 pm

has BGW gotten approval to build above 60 feet yet? They have to have county approval for that, and plans for all prior coasters (back to Alpengeist at least) had been submitted by this time of year or earlier. (seems like Verbolten was grandfathered since its height and location were the same as BBW)

I wrote the book about donkeys!

Postby DrachenfireOP » Sun Jan 31, 2016 4:48 pm

horootle wrote:has BGW gotten approval to build above 60 feet yet? They have to have county approval for that, and plans for all prior coasters (back to Alpengeist at least) had been submitted by this time of year or earlier. (seems like Verbolten was grandfathered since its height and location were the same as BBW)

Good point. The board has usually already voted by this point. By the way, when people say that x y or z won't happen because of the Kings Mill people, here's an article from Alpengeists approval that quotes some of "those people."

http://articles.dailypress.com/1996-01-26/news/9601260187_1_busch-gardens-roller-coaster-drachen-fire

Once again, I will never understand the mentality of someone who moves in next to an amusement park, then complains about the noise...

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Postby Duff » Sun Jan 31, 2016 4:54 pm

DrachenfireOP wrote:here's a few bonus images I bet most of you haven't seen before.

Amazing pics of Drachen Fire! Thank you!

What would donkeys be like on the moon?

Postby KPfan » Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:24 pm

horootle wrote:has BGW gotten approval to build above 60 feet yet? They have to have county approval for that, and plans for all prior coasters (back to Alpengeist at least) had been submitted by this time of year or earlier. (seems like Verbolten was grandfathered since its height and location were the same as BBW)

I guess in that case couldn't they grandfather the Drachenfire approval? If they reuse the station and keep it under the same height then I suppose it's possible.

Can I park my donkey here?

Postby horootle » Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:56 pm

I would think it's pretty unlikely you could reuse a height waiver on something that's been vacant for 14 years... especially considering Drachen Fire's proximity to kingsmill was really the first thing that started all the noise issues to begin with, right?

More likely in the case of verbolten they got approval before closing BBW, but that's specualation

Full Fledged Donkey Enthusiast!

Postby coasterferg » Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:30 pm

Maybe the first RMC single rail coaster???
Coaster Count as of July 2018: 375

I poke manatees in the butt.

Postby Jcoaster » Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:48 am

Anyone think that in the video when "drop" is mentioned it could be in reference to a new passenger drop for the train? Possibly a new themed area thats been rumored for years?

I also wouldn't be surprised if Pompeii is getting axed. Either for a new coaster or a new improved water ride.
Lightening Rod/Skyrush/El Toro/I305/Superman: The Ride/ Twisted Timbers/Storm Chaser/ Apollo's Chariot/Phoenix/Boulder Dash

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:04 am

^I'd be very surprised if Pompeii got the ax. As for a new country where Drachen Fire used to stand, I'd love to see that happen.

I poke manatees in the butt.

Postby Jcoaster » Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:09 am

cfc wrote:^I'd be very surprised if Pompeii got the ax. As for a new country where Drachen Fire used to stand, I'd love to see that happen.

My reasoning for it would be that it has a high operating cost and low ridership. A Mack water coaster re-theme could be pretty cool.
Lightening Rod/Skyrush/El Toro/I305/Superman: The Ride/ Twisted Timbers/Storm Chaser/ Apollo's Chariot/Phoenix/Boulder Dash

2 + 2 = donkey!

Postby blk_mamba » Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:18 am

I think the based on the time and they way they said "the drop" it appears they are building some roller coaster that will be big and expensive. My money is on a B&M winged rider that will use that the terrain, and have some great near misses. I don't think they will be getting a record breaker but they will get something that is reliable, beautiful and integrates well.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!