Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

P. 1080: A stroll through Howl-o-Scream 2019
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 8 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

Postby Superbatboy » Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:01 pm

rosscoe wrote:
Password121 wrote:
rosscoe wrote:Please no more RMC, until they can come up with something new. Every coaster is basically the same

rosscoe wrote:come up with something new

I hope this is a joke.

Not at all, and its just IMO, while the ride layouts are different, its all the same elements. Never said they where bad rides, in fact out law run is a stunning coaster

1.Skyrush 2.El Toro 3.Fury 325 4.Maverick 5.New Texas Giant 6.Wicked Cyclone 7.Twisted Colossus 8.Superman:TR 9.Millennium Force 10.Apollo's Chariot

Counts I305 as 32 credits...

Postby A.J. » Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:41 pm

Never been on one myself, so I'm probably not the best person to talk here, but I would agree that all of their coasters look, at the very least, pretty similar to each other. But that's pretty much equivalent to saying that all of the early B&M inverted coasters (Batman, Top Gun, Nemesis) are similar / "equal" as well.

Most of the Rocky Mountain coasters do share very similar characteristics - incredibly steep drops, heavily-banked turns, variations on the zero-G roll (heartline roll, regular zero-G roll, zero-G stall, top gun stall), layouts that feel more like a fun drawing than a logically-laid-out design (not necessarily a bad thing), experimentation with outward-banked turns, and other things. But it's a formula that works, apparently, so they're having well-earned success with it.

If Busch Gardens Williamsburg were to get an installation, I'd want it to be a little less extravagant - a little more humble, like Storm Chaser. Maybe they could do a design that has the "Rocky Mountain brand secret sauce" that we love but is a little more accessible and less intimidating to younger riders. I think it's also time for another coaster or attraction at Busch Gardens that doesn't break the treeline.
Data entry nut for the official TPR coaster poll! https://coasterpoll.com/
Check out my theme park 3D visualization portfolio!
The opinions that I post on this forum do not necessarily represent those of the company I work for.

I wrote the book about donkeys!

Postby DrachenfireOP » Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:59 pm

Agreed, but my original thought was not a standard rmc, but rather an all steel rmc, perhaps on the monorail design they teased. That monorail track would allow all the crazy stuff they already do, sprinkled into more traditional loops and corkscrew style inversions. The heartiness of the track allows minimal supports, so you could see a very free, very open, very twisted coaster concept that could fit in a tighter plot than many modern monsters like beemers.

A while back I made a coaster in no limits on a simulated version of the Drachen Fire site to see how much coaster you could fit back there. Using the old station and train barn dimmensions, I was able to squeeze in a single lift 16 inversion coaster with 4 trains and duel loading that stayed within the footprint and layout of Drachen fire, and didn't step on verbolten. If RMC was allowed to put a monorail coaster back there, I bet we'd all be blown away with the design.

But of course, we don't know it's a coaster, we don't know who is commissioned even if it is a coaster, and we don't have any clues where this mystery ride is even going. That said, I'm glad for the early teaser. It got people talking and pumped about BGW in the midst of an already exciting build year for other parks.

I teach at the school of donkey!

Postby BeansproutMidget » Sat Jan 30, 2016 4:33 pm

Wow, this kinda came from left field. Maybe trying to make up from Tempesto?

Am I the only one who possibly heard the '17-story' part in the video? It sounded like that to me; I'm not positive.
1. Maverick
What a wonderful day to go ride a giga...
Kings Dominion Ride Attendant(2018) - Intimidator 305

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Sat Jan 30, 2016 4:34 pm

rosscoe wrote:Please no more RMC, until they can come up with something new. Every coaster is basically the same

I understand where Ross is coming from in terms of them feeling very similar, I mean, I really felt that Medusa and Wicked Cyclone felt, really, really, REALLY close other than some obvious track layout differences, the feeling was similar. That being said, I still feel that RMC's coasters are far and above better than just about anything else coming out these days. I guess you can say that a lot of the Intamin non-looping coasters all "feel" similar too - Millennium Force, Superman Trio, Mega-Lite's, SkyRush, etc, but I wouldn't be upset if a park, no wait, EVERY park built one of those!

IMO, having "too many RMC's" is the epitome of "first world problems."

Postby DrachenfireOP » Sat Jan 30, 2016 4:49 pm

robbalvey wrote:
IMO, having "too many RMC's" is the epitome of "first world problems."

:nina:

Nothing beats Cali coasters

Postby chickenbowl » Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:04 pm

BeansproutMidget wrote:Wow, this kinda came from left field. Maybe trying to make up from Tempesto?

Am I the only one who possibly heard the '17-story' part in the video? It sounded like that to me; I'm not positive.

I think the 17 in the video was referencing 2017, the year.

I am thinking this will most likely be either a wood coaster (RMC, GCI, Intamin?) or a Mack Spinner, similar to Cobra's Curse. I'll tell you why.

What doesn't BGW already have at this point? They have 7 steel coasters, so I think a woodie is possible. I'd really like it if they used terrain if it was. A woodie would also have to be quiet, which leads me to believe it would be of the modern variety (RMC, Intamin). But the park has a lot of intense thrilling coasters, so maybe a family friendly RMC?

I think if we are seeing a steel coaster, it will be more geared towards families, like Cobra's Curse is. This park already has 3 huge B&M's, all of which are taller than 195', and they're all pretty intense. I don't think the park would add another huge B&M mega-looper to their already thrilling coaster line up. I also don't think we're seeing any type of launching coaster considering the past 2 coasters have launched.
Chasing Airtime
Steel Vengeance|Intimidator 305|Maverick|Hakugei|Skyrush
Lightning Rod|T Express|Outlaw Run|El Toro|Phoenix

What would donkeys be like on the moon?

Postby KPfan » Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:24 pm

VegasBaby wrote:Great photos, thanks for sharing them. I'm still bummed that I never got to ride Drachen Fire. For those that did get to ride it, was it really that rough? It looks like it had some really cool elements and it must've had some great airtime on that camel back hill.

I was fortunate to ride it shortly after it opened. At the time it was my 2nd favorite steel behind Steel Phantom. I really enjoyed the ride and didn't think it was that rough. Then again, I had ridden so many Arrow loopers I was probably used to it.

As for the current teaser, can't wait to see what is planned. Would love to see something that is a spin off of Drachenfire.

Postby DrachenfireOP » Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:46 pm

^ I think shockwave and GASM were rougher than DF personally, and none of those were as bad as flight of fear with the OTSRs, but the BGW target audience typically isn't into any of the above. I'll always be bitter it's gone, but I don't have any question as to why is gone.

Also, if it Ireland gets a wooden coaster, I'd like to suggest "Potato Famine: The Ride" for the name.

I poke manatees in the butt.

Postby Jcoaster » Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:38 pm

I too think this will be a coaster of the RMC variety. But It is fun to imagine a terrain Intamin pre-fab at BGW. It would be incredible. A Intamin pre-fab would also be unique seeing we only have one in the United States.
Lightening Rod/Skyrush/El Toro/I305/Superman: The Ride/ Twisted Timbers/Storm Chaser/ Apollo's Chariot/Phoenix/Boulder Dash

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!