Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

P. 1095: Pantheon construction complete, train delivered!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 5 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
If the donkey is rockin, don't come knockin!

Re: Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

Postby PCW_Nut » Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:12 am

I remember hearing about the ISIS stuff causing problems for the severed heads. It's halloween people, lighten up! It's funny that happened and there is SO much headless figures in the maze as well as the amount of gore in a maze like Unearthed.

I found the scareactors lacking any enthusiasm, the maze having any real flow, and just seemed to be a lot of areas where nothing happens. Very odd and lacking.

Bitten had some very impressive sets and we actually really enjoyed that one.

The one two punch at the end of Catacombs if you get both scares, which we did, was really well done and left us walking away with huge smiles on our faces. I would say the only thing they could MAYBE improve, and keep in mind this may really be nitpicking, would be to cover up some of the ceilings. To be able to see the building so clearly that its in kind of through off the feeling of being underground.

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:33 am

I was chatting with someone on opening night who mentioned that Cut Throat Cove was their "evil clown maze," only with pirates. It seems like a "starter maze" for kids--see if they can handle Cut Throat Cove first.

Bitten has held up pretty well--more so than Club Blood at Kings Dominion (which is the oldest maze there).

Postby PCW_Nut » Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:01 am

Ya, Club Blood at Wonderland here has gone downhill to being horrible.

I don't know, I mean I guess looking at Cut Throat as their "training wheels" house then I can understand but I don't feel it really allows it to be as bad as it is. I loved the amount of gore in there, so it wasn't ALL negative but when it came to pacing/scares/etc. it was just lacking greatly. When all your other mazes are so good it really makes the weaker ones stand out that much more.

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:14 am

^That's just my take on Cut Throat Cove. The "Ports of Skull" "TERROR-tory" is weaker this year. In that past, the "Torture Hill" photo op area had more going on (for example, they had two pirates that would always talk to the crowd over the PA system); "Ports of Skull" also gets my vote the most awkwardly named scarezone ever. They've had better mazes in Festa Italia in the past (such as "Wicked Woods").

But, overall, HOS is pretty strong this year.

Postby PCW_Nut » Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:20 am

I will agree to that. HOS was a very fun event and for my first time there I can easily say I will definitely be going back next year.

Girls don't like me because I can play RCT better than you

Postby TheCoasterKid211 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:14 pm

cfc wrote:The entrance to Cornered is just around the corner...

Pun intended? :roll:
| |Alpengeist| |Cheetah Hunt| |Kumba| |Mako| |Intimidator 305| |
"Yeah, I like coasters. Yes, I'm a kid. Don't know what the 211 means, but whatever." Check out my TR thread!

I've gone pantless!

Postby cfc » Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:27 pm

^Ah, you saw what I did there! :lol:

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby MagicFeather » Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:41 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the board. We went for our annual Howl O Scream trip to BGW last night (Sunday 10/18). I think I'm always more impressed with the zones than I am with the mazes. I usually get at least one pretty good scare in each maze, but maybe I'm just getting older.

I actually think my favorite maze was Cornered, though a camera crew went in right before us, so I'm not sure all of the actors were in place as there seemed to be several areas where I would have expected a scare but there wasn't one. Catacombs is usually a favorite, but again it seemed very light on actors. The atmosphere was great, but not many scares.

Lumberhack was a nice outdoor maze. I'm probably in the minority, but I enjoy Cut Throat Cove. I'd not be broken if it was gone next year, but I like it better than the clown one before that. I think the beginning of Deadline is a bust, but I've always like the last few rooms.

I was disappointed with Scarlett's Revenge. I don't think the use of the "Europe in the Air" screens added anything to it (though I'll say that I hate Europe in the air, so wasn't sad about the ride not being in use, lol). It was a better maze than Number 13 (or whatever the one from the last 2 years was), but still not all that. We actually missed the final scare because the exit was slightly confusing.

I always enjoy the Rum Apple Cider and I LOVED the Scarlett's Potion. I wish I had paid closer attention to what was in it.

We did the Blood Banquet. The food was SO good and perfect for how cold it was yesterday. I actually didn't mind the show. Yes, it was silly, but it was self-aware that it was silly and Igor was a really good ad-libber. We've seen Monster Stomp in the past (several times) so we went with Fiends. Which I liked well enough for what it was.

As usual the theme-ing throughout the park was great and allows for many photo opportunities. I do wish they'd add back the train ride. I'm sure it was the most elaborate thing to set up, but I always enjoyed it. I sort of miss the "Jack is Back" street party, too...

QQs are a MUST. Lines were not too bad during the day (we got there around 1pm and got on Tempesto in less than 20 minutes), but people started streaming in around 6pm and most of the mazes had at least an hour wait, so we got to do them all in about 2.5 hours with QQ. Also, several times our QQs were not even marked out and we could have done those mazes and rides again (though we had so much to do and it was a Sunday) we opted to leave when we were done with everything. I don't think the park ever reached capacity like it did on Saturday (10/17). Though I was slightly worried we wouldn't be able to get back in when we went to the car to get our coats.

We have season passes to BGW, so I know we'll go again and of course I've never had a bad experience there (at HOS or during the year) that makes me want to cancel. Kings Dominion has more rides, yes, but the overall presentation of atmosphere at BGW cannot be beat.

I've gone pantless!

Postby cfc » Mon Oct 19, 2015 1:36 pm

^I miss the the old "Transylvania Express" train ride, too. Wouldn't mind seeing it return someday.

Seems So Surreal

Postby mike541x » Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:57 pm

^Agreed. Last time I rode Transylvania Express was ten years ago, such a great HOS attraction! Six Flags America used to do the same thing with their train ride, even since the Adventure World days but they no longer do that anymore. What a shame...

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!