Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

P. 1071: Pantheon multi-launch coaster announced!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 7 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

Postby jray21 » Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:59 am

Can't wait to see the Christmas Town reviews! It always looks like a great event!

Seems So Surreal

Postby mike541x » Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:48 am

I might head to CT this year. I haven't been since their first year and it was amazing. I'm sure a lot has improved since then so I'd really like to check it out this year. Polar Pathway looks neat in particular, which wasn't there the first year I went. Although I wish they'd at least open up one other coaster besides Verbolten like Loch Ness Monster or Alpengeist. After all Alpengeist is snow themed and was open one year for CT.

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:20 am

^The problem with running Alpengist (or Apollo's Chariot or Griffon) is that it can't operate at a temperature below 42 degrees F.

Seems So Surreal

Postby mike541x » Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:30 am

Makes sense. I figured it may have been temperature related. They did run Griffon the first year of Christmas town too which was awesome, because the view of CT from the top was amazing!

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:40 pm

^Yes, they did, when it was warm enough. They also had problems with splash freezing as the weather became more "wintry."

Christmas Town is more about the atmosphere, shopping, and the food than the rides.

I've gone pantless!

Postby cfc » Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:53 pm

Thinking about coming for the last night of the season? Better spring for Quick Queue, as they're already using the overflow parking lot and preferred parking is for Platinum Passholders only.

I wrote the book about donkeys!

Postby DrachenfireOP » Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:34 pm

I do find it strange also that Verbolten can operate in lower temperatures than the B&Ms. Do you happen to know the minimum temp for it? If it's the same, then they probably only keep it open to avoid the hassel of having more than one coaster open, and Verbolten is accessible to the most riders, and is certainly the most family friendly. I actually went to CT the year Alpengeist was running, and it was pretty fun riding Alpengeist in December!

I go to furry parties, I'm probably a brony too...

Postby tarheel1231 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:37 pm

^Maybe it can operate because most of it is indoors? With B&M's track record for being reliable, you'd think they'd be able to build something to handle cold weather.
I'm done.

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby GwaziBSRider1 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:11 pm

^ It's not the ride itself that can't handle the temperatures. It's the fluids and grease.

I wrote the book about donkeys!

Postby DrachenfireOP » Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:30 pm

This is especially true of the grease on the wheel carriage, which is why I'm shocked to learn Verbolten can operate lower than B&Ms (if it can). They actually tested Drachen Fire with heaters on the lift and block brakes, because it was a particularly cold winter/early spring, and if the trains stopped there, they were worried about it not getting back moving again (and I would strongly speculate is why a lot of coasters open a bit later in the season, with testing starting when the weather is a bit warmer, but that is just speculation).

One of my more interesting memories from way back when I was a ride op was shutting down Big Bad Wolf because it was too cold. It warmed back up a bit later in the evening (Virginia for you) and we got a go ahead to re-open the ride, but when we started cycling trains, a train out on the safety brakes wouldn't move. We basically ended up staying closed for the rest of the night with one train stuck out on the safety brakes and one train stuck out on lift 2, and there was nothing anyone could do about it until the weather warmed up enough to get the train moving again.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!