Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

P. 1071: Pantheon multi-launch coaster announced!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 4 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Alan Schilke is my "man crush".

Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

Postby Woodie Warrior » Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:02 pm

What the hell? This is because they put up fake severed heads?! Those things have been sold at Halloween stores since before I can remember and NOW they're inappropriate?! People these days are freaking stupid.
Top 10: 1. The Voyage 2. Outlaw Run 3. Millennium Force 4. SkyRush 5. Maverick
6. El Toro 7. Fahrenheit 8. Storm Runner 9. Thunderbird 10. Powder Keg

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Re: Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

Postby GwaziBSRider1 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:14 pm

Yeah, this is stupid. It's the result of too many stupid people watching cable news.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby VF15 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:22 pm

So, has there been any word on when BGW will announce their 2015 coaster? We all know what it is, so they might as well give us the details now.
Valleyfair Ride Operator
2016 - Wild Thing
2017 - Wild Thing/Xtreme Swing
2018 - Steel Venom/Scrambler

Cedar Point Ride Operator
2019 - Cedar Creek Mine Ride

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:59 pm

Woodie Warrior wrote:What the hell? This is because they put up fake severed heads?! Those things have been sold at Halloween stores since before I can remember and NOW they're inappropriate?! People these days are freaking stupid.

And that they've seen at Howl-o-Scream for years now. This is even dumber than all the nonsense about King's Dominion's "Miner's Revenge" Haunt maze last year being "offensive" because of real coal-mine disasters.

VF15 wrote:So, has there been any word on when BGW will announce their 2015 coaster? We all know what it is, so they might as well give us the details now.

I asked at the passholder appreciation event. The response was, "New attraction? What new attraction?" ;)
Last edited by cfc on Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:08 pm.

Postby cal1br3tto » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:30 pm

netdvn wrote:Not so breaking news, but somebody complained in the VA Gazette that the severed head props the park placed everywhere are offensive due to recent events, so the park promptly removed them. Such a shame.

I am all for appropriate sensitivity, and I realize that some things can be uninentionally offensive (with or without calling for apology or changes), but this is a ridiculous overreach. It just smacks of obnoxious political correctness.
114 wood+512 steel=626 | Steel Vengeance | Boulder Dash | Twisted Timbers | Coaster | X2 | Twisted Colossus | Storm Chaser | Phoenix | Maverick | Twisted Cyclone | Iron Rattler | Voyage | Kawasemi | El Toro | New Texas Giant

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby Kumba9 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:04 pm

What's next? BGW will not be adding Christmas lights to this year's event because someone is offended by it and does not like the term 'Merry Christmas'? Has our society become so sensitive to certain issues that we have to live in a world wondering who we offend next? That sure put the park and staff in an uncomfortable position. Some of these props have been used for years and just "now" someone finds them offensive?...go figure.

Will the same paper head up to KD and check-out the same Halloween event and post similar photos for another story?

I really felt the article had some sort of hidden agenda due to the photos posted by the newspaper to generate more sales. I know this may be out of line in saying that due to recent events, but wouldn't you think if the editor-in-charge would have not run the story (or the photos) in the paper unless they were trying to generate some controversy?

Alan Schilke is my "man crush".

Postby Woodie Warrior » Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:13 pm

Kumba9 wrote:What's next? BGW will not be adding Christmas lights to this year's event because someone is offended by it and does not like the term 'Merry Christmas'? Has our society become so sensitive to certain issues that we have to live in a world wondering who we offend next? That sure put the park and staff in an uncomfortable position. Some of these props have been used for years and just "now" someone finds them offensive?...go figure.

Will the same paper head up to KD and check-out the same Halloween event and post similar photos for another story?

I really felt the article had some sort of hidden agenda due to the photos posted by the newspaper to generate more sales. I know this may be out of line in saying that due to recent events, but wouldn't you think if the editor-in-charge would have not run the story (or the photos) in the paper unless they were trying to generate some controversy?

They are also removing all the Jack the Ripper references out of the victims that were killed by him.

Seriously, Busch Gardens should've just ignored the guy. This didn't make headlines until they acknowledged his claims, right? Or am I wrong.
Top 10: 1. The Voyage 2. Outlaw Run 3. Millennium Force 4. SkyRush 5. Maverick
6. El Toro 7. Fahrenheit 8. Storm Runner 9. Thunderbird 10. Powder Keg

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:50 am

^ & ^^ The Virginia Gazette is Williamsburg's local paper, and they usually don't bother with much news outside of town or James City and York counties; so, I doubt they'll be heading to Kings Dominion to cover their Halloween event. As for Christmas Town, I doubt there will any changes there (people are really into Christmas in the South).

From what I can glean, most of the negative comments regarding HOS's décor were in the Gazette's "Last Word" section, which is a notorious bastion of griping and, well, stupidity. For what it's worth, this "controversy" also covers both sides of the political spectrum. The park is also being slammed by a number of people on their Facebook page about their decision; frankly, I think folks need to just let this go.

Postby coasterbill » Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:29 am

Political correctness will eventually spell the end of Halloween events at parks. People have a need to act like they're offended by things so they can complain about it and make themselves feel important as if they're championing some great cause.

I have a hard time believing anyone is actually offended by this. The overuse of the word "offended" has completely cheapened it's definition. Now people think "offensive" means "I could see how someone somewhere might not like this even though it doesn't bother me or 99.99999% of the population".

Again, to the people saying you're offended by this... I don't believe you. And even if you are offended that doesn't mean the park (or anyone else) should care. Get over it... if the park does something that legitimately turns enough people away then they won't do it anymore, but them cowering to these idiots is setting a bad precedent (just like Kings Dominion did last year) and later on they'll regret not taking a stand now.

I go to furry parties, I'm probably a brony too...

Postby tarheel1231 » Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:39 pm

Anyone read Screanscape?
(9/19/14) While the park hasn’t made the news public, BGWInsider reports that it did announce the details about the new 2015 coaster to park employees on Thursday. The final name is Tempesto and it will be the coaster we already heard about, standing 157 feet tall, 60 mph and with 3 inversions. Look for the official public announcement to come any day now.

Is this BS?
I'm done.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!