Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

P. 1071: Pantheon multi-launch coaster announced!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I Love Donkeys!

Re: Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

Postby vdejarnette » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:50 am

coasterfreak101 wrote:
Homeboy23 wrote:Even with three trains they stopped interlocking them years ago, I believe for maintenance reasons. And yes, they run three trains many times during the summer on Saturdays mainly.

I'm curious as to what the maintenance reasons would be for not interlocking trains? Doesn't seem like any extra stress on the trains or the ride, just some on the operators to get a consistent dispatch interval. But what do I know!

Two multi-ton trains = double the stress on the foundation. Due to the location/spacing of the concrete support pedestals at the water surface, it is likely that both loops are founded on a single mat footing that is now almost 40 years old.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Moose » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:39 am

From that picture it looks like individual footings, not one single mat.

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:47 am

My understanding was some sort of structural issue developed with having two trains in the loops at once, but I'm not an engineer.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Moose » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:53 am

I'm sure that is the case, but it seems weird since it LOOKS like the two structures are separate.

I wrote the book about donkeys!

Postby jzoole » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:54 am

I agree. In other pictures (which I'm not going to bother posting - you all know how to go to rcdb.com), you can clearly see that there are individual footings - not one single connected one. Also, I don't see how it would make a difference to the structure. The same amount of trains would traverse the course of the loops, so why should it make much difference if they are in the loops at the same time?

Gimme Some Candy!

Postby coasterfreak101 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:56 am

I was gonna say the same thing about separate footers. Unless they're connected for bracing underwater...but the above-water portion is for sure a separate footer for each of the four sets of supports that branch off. I could see why doubling the forces simultaneously on a connected system would be worse than having the same amount of force but at separate times, but I've never seen evidence to show that the footers are connected to each other in any way.

Whatever the case is, it still sucks that we can't see it happen anymore! I'd be curious to see if improvements could be made to the structure/footers/whatever the problem is so that it could be done again, but I doubt we'll ever see that happen.
1. Skyrush | 2. Maverick | 3. The Voyage | 4. El Toro | 5. Outlaw Run
6. Millennium Force | 7. I-305 | 8. Medusa: SC | 9. X2 | 10. Phoenix

Coasters: 290
Parks: 51

What's with the donkeys anyway?

Postby Pun_Machine » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:37 pm

I had heard earlier this year that changes were being made to Darkastle. Has anyone that's been to the park noticed anything new?

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby vacoaster09 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:43 pm

All I know is that seeing two trains in the loops at the same time was amazing and I had to watch that video like 5 times to soak it in. It be great to see them allow the ride to do this again and to even ride it when it did such.
Leviathan - "I am a B&M, I am clearly not the father. I305 is not my child."
Millennium Force - "Yes he is Maury... I am 100% sure"
Maury - "Leviathan ..... in the case of possessed juvenile I305 .... you are not the father!
Maverick - (giggles with guilty grin)"

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:07 pm

^^DarKastle has gone back to using the preshow as a preshow again; that is, they've removed the stanchions and chains, so groups now have to watch the whole video instead of just walking by it. (The "frozen in time" lighting effect is working in the preshow room again, too.) The smoke/mist effect was also restored in the "library" scene (where the car enters the fireplace). Unfortunately, they've really reduced the spinning in that section, too (seems that too many people were complaining about feeling sick).
Last edited by cfc on Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:07 pm.

Hot Coaster Chick!

Postby niiicolaaah » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:59 pm

I talked to a ride op at the exit and he said part of the reason they stopped the spinning was because of people bringing drinks in there and spilling them... didn't make much sense to me. He also said they were gonna add some other effects in that part so take that for what it's worth... Although now that the spinning is gone I really have no reason to ride it any more cause that was the best part. :P
Parks: 71| Wood: 68 | Steel: 272 | Total Coasters: 340 | States: 23| Countries: 6

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!