Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

P. 1080: Pantheon track pieces begin to arrive at the park!
Users viewing this topic: krakenmaniac and 14 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Nuthin' better than a naked donkey!

Re: The Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW) Discussion Thread

Postby Tanks4me05 » Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:06 pm

coasterfreak101 wrote:This looks really cool, primarily because those look like magnetic brakes, so I think we're looking at legitimate freefall here!! Looks to be about 10 feet judging by the guys sitting on the tracks. Can't wait to see more track go up - especially the finale!

I'd say 15 feet. Take a look at the how big the guy standing (lower left hand corner of the picture.) I assumed that he is about six feet tall. I then took a look at the drawing, and the track is in the top position; the rails are about even with the joining section of the A-frame supports. I assume that the track is resting at the bottom position in the real photo. So I used my fingernails to "size up" the standing construction worker, and I got about 2.5 of those distances from the top of the rails to the top of where the track would stop. 6 * 2.5 = 15.

Gimme Some Candy!

Postby coasterfreak101 » Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:43 pm

^^How lovely of them.

^Yeah, something like that! I just gave it a quick glance and eyed it up - I didn't whip out the fingernails! :lol:
1. Skyrush | 2. Maverick | 3. The Voyage | 4. El Toro | 5. Outlaw Run
6. Millennium Force | 7. I-305 | 8. Medusa: SC | 9. X2 | 10. Phoenix

Coasters: 290
Parks: 51

Young and Stupid! I blame my parents.

Postby SoCalCoasters » Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:53 pm

I really doubt Intamin will sue Zerier over the fact that they used magnetic brakes. Honestly, rides use magnetic brakes more than the conventional pinch brakes now a days.

As for that drop system. Intamin's system wasn't a true free fall. It used a system where it was "pulled" downward.

If I'm looking at this right, it looks like this will be like a conventional free fall on a coaster, and is probably going to be easier to maintain than Intamin's due to the more simplistic system.

I cannot wait to see this completed! It really is the attraction of 2012 that I am looking forward to the most with all of it's unique elements, theming and such.
TPR's Biggest Legoland Nerd, and proud!

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby Swiftman » Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:14 pm

Tanks4me05 wrote:I'd say 15 feet.

Looking at the plans, I'd say 18 feet. ;) Very close guess though.

Gimme Some Candy!

Postby coasterfreak101 » Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:08 pm

^Well nobody else can see those plans since we aren't members.
1. Skyrush | 2. Maverick | 3. The Voyage | 4. El Toro | 5. Outlaw Run
6. Millennium Force | 7. I-305 | 8. Medusa: SC | 9. X2 | 10. Phoenix

Coasters: 290
Parks: 51

I own the website www.donkey.com

Postby Schotcher » Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:13 pm

^ (Because they want you to become a member) :Pr

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby Swiftman » Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:29 pm

Actually, the one I'm referencing hasn't been released anywhere (yet). If you all have any more ride stats questions, I can do my best to answer them.

I wrote the book about donkeys!

Location: Intimidator 305 - Red Train - Row 1 - Left Seat - Going over the crest of the lift

Postby T-BONDIcoasterkid » Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:17 am

In the video Saldek shared with us, I took a screenshot of the track and cropped it so we can have a better look at it. :)
verbolten track.jpg
Juicyyy blackkk trackkkk... *drools
Coaster Count: 33!
Favorite Coaster:INTIMIDATOR 305
Last Coaster Ridden: Verbolten
Next Park: Kings Dominion

Delicious & Refreshing

Postby jedimaster1227 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:08 am

http://www.dailypress.com/news/williamsburg/dp-gaz-water-country-expands-20111011,0,257714.story

Water Country USA is looking to double its footprint of attractions, but details are slim.

The Planning Commission will review an application to amend the master plan to expand the park. The original plan approved in 1996 encompassed 163 acres. The park later grew to 222 acres.

The original master plan allowed for the addition of 37 acres of attractions to the park. Attractions currently span 41 acres. The new plan would add another 43 acres of attractions.

The plan also includes restrictions and guidelines on buffers, setbacks from nearby streams and other properties, as well as guidelines for stormwater management.

Planning documents and documents submitted by the park do not elaborate on how quickly the expansion might happen or what kinds of new attractions or facilities might be added.

Want to go? The Planning Commission will meet at 7 p.m. Wednesday, Oct. 12, in York Hall at 301 Main St. in Yorktown.
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

Starbucks Enthusiast

Postby gisco » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:08 am

^Kind od sounds like those might be long range plans. I missed out going to the water parl last time I was there because the weather turned cold. Maybe next year I will have a chance.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!