Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

P. 1086:Christmas Town opens!
Users viewing this topic: mattkopp23 and 19 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I wrote the book about donkeys!

Re: The Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW) Discussion Thread

Postby CardCraze » Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:28 pm

SHOWS:

-Monster Stomp Revamped; 9/10 - A bit shorter this year, but still a great show!

Mazes:

-Bitten; 5/10 - A few decent scares, overall not that great though. It seemed to be lacking actors.
-Catacombs; 8.5/10 - GREAT scares. A bit longer than last year, but unfortunately still REALLY short.
-Dead Line; 7/10 - Glad to finally see a change to "Revenge of Pompeii". Scares were few and far between, but they were good. Also, the last room was AMAZING. Just saying.
-Fear Fair; 6/10 - This seemed like Universal in style. It was a pretty nice humor maze, but overall the scares here were only decent.
-Thirteen, Your Number's Up; 9/10 - LOVED IT! The whole theme and set-up of the maze was incredible. Simply incredible. The best maze BGW has had in years IMO. If I have one complaint, it's that the scare actors seemed to be few and far between. Otherwise, perfect. The death room was incredible.

Scare Zones:

-Grin and Scare It; 6/10 - A few pretty decent scares, but there seems to be many scare actors (around 10 I'd say), confined to the little bridge from Italy to Festa.
-Scavengers; 7/10 - Loved it. The maks were creepy, and there were some decent scares to be had.
-Stitchin Time; 4/10 - What? I mean, for starters, the theme is just plain weird. Doctors? Zombies? Cannibals? What? Second, there were almost no scares to be had here, and the actors stayed to the main path, making them easy to see and predictable.
-Unleashed; 7/10 - Pretty good scares here.
-Widow Makers; 10/10 - I. HATE. CHAINSAWS.

Overall I give this year a B+. I loved the return of the scarezones, though granted they were small and contained. Bitten was a bit weak, I feel it was on life support last year, and this year could very well be its last. Catacombs, however, was revived in full glory. GREAT maze. Fear Fair was "cute" but not necessarily scary, the two other new mazes (13 and Dead Line) had very successful debuts, and were both OUTSTANDING. The shows, as usual, were high quality and great fun. Good year for Howl-O-Scream, though some of the mazes seem to lack actors.
Parks Visited in 2015: None so far!

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:56 am

I agree that Cataombs was much improved over last year, and that Fear Fair was the weakest of the bunch (but there is some potential there). Overall, I thought HOS was pretty solid last night, and the event does tend to improve as the month grinds on. Dead Line and 13 were very good, as well.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby netdvn » Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:42 am

I got to attend HOS employee night last Thursday and it was good. The park only had two mazes and one scare zone open to us, which was a disappointment, but overall I had a good time.

I did some wandering around the park yesterday and explored the rest of the scare zones that I missed on Thursday.

Scare Zones

Scavengers – 2/5
The atmosphere both nights was pretty good, but the scares were too concentrated at the entrance and the exit. There were at least two people at the entrance and about three at the exit with one person in the middle. During team night there were only three people at the entrance. This maze could’ve benefitted from more people.

Stitching Time – 1/5
This zone didn’t have as much atmosphere as the other areas and the actors really weren’t going out of their way to scare people outside of one or two jump scares here and there. The area had plenty of actors to go around, but they mainly just stood there, which was kinda disappointing.

Unleashed – 4/5
One of the better scare zones, the atmosphere was great and the scares were everywhere. The camouflage actors combined with costumed werewolves was really well-done! My only disappointment is that the zone is a little small and there were tons of props, but not enough actors. Despite that, it’s definitely one of the better zones.

Grin and Scare it -- 3/5
A solid scare zone, the actors were ok and there were a few scares here and there. I loved the puppeteer clown. Wandering through a few times, there weren’t enough jump scare or stalk scares to bring this up to a 5. Most of the actors just stood around doing nothing. There was a decent amount of props, but they weren’t used as well. Like it was mentioned before, this area would’ve been better if it were longer.

Widowmakers – 5/5
Easily the best zone in the park. When you see streams of people running and screaming out of the scare zone (and running all over the place inside the scare zone), you’ve got a good scare zone. The chainsaws plus the fog really added a lot to the atmosphere, providing the most scares. On top of that, the actors went out of their way to scare anyone that waked by. This was also probably the largest scare zone in the park, taking up all of New France. My main gripe is that the park didn’t utilize the spiders like it could have, but that doesn’t take away from the rating because the zone was so good.

Mazes

Deadline – 4/5
I enjoyed this maze. Being behind a group when I went, I managed to miss out on a lot of the scares, but it was fun to watch their reactions. Actors were kinda sparse and hit-miss when it came to scares but the theming made up for it. Subway car was awesome!

13 – 4/5
I got some solid scares in here, despite having a lack of actors (much like Deadline). One of the big standout rooms was Fear of Falling. It took me a while to realize it was fake. Theming doesn’t compare to Deadline though.

Overall, from what I’ve seen so far, BGW did a good job with HOS this year. Music and atmosphere all around the park was great! My only gripe is that the scares were a bit lacking and maybe the park could benefit from having a few actors wandering outside the scare zones. Most of the scare zones were too small to utilize their full potential or didn’t have enough actors jumping out at you. Still, for my first HOS, I enjoyed it.
Artwork - Facebook - Flickr - DeviantART - Instagram -Geauga Lake Reborn! M&M's World - Don't look back as you brave the Black Forest BGW/KD Crowd Calendar

I wrote the book about donkeys!

Location: Intimidator 305 - Red Train - Row 1 - Left Seat - Going over the crest of the lift

Postby T-BONDIcoasterkid » Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:43 pm

Wow, thats alot of the same post.
EDIT: Whats the "Dark Side of the Gardens"? When I went on Mach Tower, crossing the bridge had that creepy tune about the only thing yuo have to lose is a little peice of your mind. Is the dark side of the gardens a section of the park, or is it the theme of HOS this year?
Coaster Count: 33!
Favorite Coaster:INTIMIDATOR 305
Last Coaster Ridden: Verbolten
Next Park: Kings Dominion

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby netdvn » Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:48 am

^ Dark Side of the Gardens is the overall theme for HOS this year.

On another note...
Verbolten construction is going full steam now! The floor of the warehouse is now concrete and what looks like footers are being placed into the ground. The building walls are a little higher than they were last week. Decorations have already been placed in the future queue area (look toward the construction wall by BBW's old entrance).

Only a matter of time before track arrives!
Last edited by netdvn on Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:57 am.
Artwork - Facebook - Flickr - DeviantART - Instagram -Geauga Lake Reborn! M&M's World - Don't look back as you brave the Black Forest BGW/KD Crowd Calendar

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:55 am

^^There's a sign over in Italy explaining the "Lady of the Gardens" concept--near her statue.
Last edited by cfc on Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:12 am.

Nuthin' better than a naked donkey!

Postby Intimidator305 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:46 pm

By the sounds of those reviews, it sounds like BGW improved HOS quite a bit compared to last year as it was very weak in my opinion. I'm very excited to experience the maze Dead Line and the scarezone Unleashed as I feel like those will be my favorites this year (but that could change). Just a quick question, what is the main entrance plaza theme to this year, the roses with eyeballs? Also, it is a shame that people are complaining about Fiends just like they did for Fangs last year at KD... :roll:

I've gone pantless!

Postby cfc » Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:59 pm

^Well, Fangs just sucked, but I agree re. Fiends. ;)

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby espm1000 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:55 pm

I'm hoping to go to BGW for the first time in about 2 years. I live right by it, but can never find the time. However, I have a question for those who have been to howl-o-scream: do any of you see any benefit to shelling out for the quick queue? I was even considering the howl-o-scream tour since it's a family event with myself, my fiance, my sister, and her boyfriend.

I've gone pantless!

Postby cfc » Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:49 am

^If you go on a Saturday night, spring for the Quick Queue (the park has been known to reach capacity on Saturday during HOS). Friday night is the best time to go (no Quick Queue necessary), and Sunday can be busy, but not crazy like Saturday.

At least this is my past experience.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!