Switch to full style
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Post a reply

Re: The Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW) Discussion Thread

Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:54 am

Here's a first for BGW (from the Saturday, April 9 issue of the Daily Press).

WILLIAMSBURG — Busch Gardens' newest attraction arrived just after midnight Tuesday — the first ever Clydesdale to be born at the Williamsburg amusement park.

The so-far unnamed colt was born to mother, Panola, at the park's Highland Stables, said Kevin Crossett, a Busch Gardens spokesman. He said the stables remained closed to the public Tuesday to allow the mother and foal to bond and be checked medically. The colt made its first public appearance Wednesday afternoon at the park's Highland Stables pasture, Crossett said.

Even though Busch Gardens has long been associated with the massive work horses made famous by decades of iconic Budweiser advertisements, the birth was a milestone.

Crossett said previous Clydesdale births took place at an off-site location and the animals were brought to the park months later. But that site is no longer park property after previous owner Anheuser Busch InBev sold off the company's amusement park interests last year, he said.

The new Clydesdale will remain at the park and "will be out as much as possible," Crossett said.

The Highland Stables, in the park's Scottish village, were redesigned in 2010 to better reflect a working farm. Crossett said several lambs have been born there within the past couple of weeks and now the Clydesdale.

"I don't know how much more of a working farm you can get," Crossett said.

Copyright © 2011, Newport News, Va., Daily Press

Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:53 pm

Busch Gardens Williamsburg has sent us a press release about this year's Ramp Jam.

It’s big. It’s extreme, and it’s coming to Busch Gardens this April. The best action sports athletes in the world will challenge “Big Red,” a massive competition ramp used for nationally televised extreme sports events like the X Games and the Action Sports World Tour. On April 30, Big Red makes its debut at Busch Gardens during the park’s second annual Ramp Jam event presented by Mountain Dew.

Big Red’s stats are impressive. Its frame is built of galvanized steel. Birch wood, aluminum and a special surfacing material called skatelite, transforms Big Red into the tallest competition ramp in the United States. A flatbed trailer will haul the ramp from its storage warehouse in Los Angeles to the Williamsburg theme park later this month. The trailer itself can fit within the ramp’s 60-foot width. And at 56 feet deep, there is plenty of room to take advantage of Big Red’s 14-foot-6-inch height.

“Considering how important Big Red is to major competitions, we limit its use to about 10 events per year,” said Rick Bratman, CEO of ASA Entertainment, a leader in the production of action sports events and television programming worldwide.

“Last year’s Ramp Jam event was extremely popular with Busch Gardens’ fans. We wanted this year’s event to be even bigger so we’re bringing in our biggest ramp and expect to see some big air and huge stunts from the biggest names in action sports,” he said.

A team of technicians will begin assembling the ramp in Busch Gardens’ Festhaus Park after it arrives later this month. The ramp will be the main stage for superstar athletes like Bucky Lasek, Jamie Bestwick, Kevin Robinson, Simon Tabron and Sandro Dias to show off their talents as part of the ASA Action Sports World Tour at Ramp Jam.

Ramp Jam continues Saturdays and Sundays for three weekends, beginning April 30 and ending May 15. All performances are held at Festhaus Park and lawn seating is available. Performances will begin at 1 p.m. and the event is free for park guests. For more information about Ramp Jam, visit http://www.buschgardens.com or call (800) 343-7946.

A complete list of athletes featured at Ramp Jam is listed below.

Skate:
•Bucky Lasek
•Sandro Dias
•Danny Mayer
•Elliot Sloan
•Adam Taylor
•Chris Gentry

BMX:
•Jamie Bestwick
•Kevin Robinson
•Simon Tabron
•John Parker
•Jimmy Walker
•Trevor Meyer

In-line:
•Eito Yasutoko

Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:54 pm

Spent some time at the park this afternoon, crowds were pretty light up until about 2, which is when I left. Back right seat on Apollo is pure airtime bliss. Anywho, here's a quick update on a few things.
Attachments
215909_521650367424_110300559_30421327_1029314_n.jpg
Here we have the baby Clydesdale that was born recently feeding off mama out in the grassy area behind the stables. Not quite as cute as a yellow lab puppy playing with a baby cheetah, but still cute enough.
215909_521650367424_110300559_30421327_1029314_n.jpg (115.87 KiB) Viewed 3913 times
207598_521650382394_110300559_30421328_7794340_n.jpg
Mach Tower hasn't seen any more vertical construction, but Dave Chappelle's twin brother was painting the bottom portion gold.
207598_521650382394_110300559_30421328_7794340_n.jpg (114.18 KiB) Viewed 3913 times
216193_521650417324_110300559_30421331_3224299_n.jpg
This guy was painting, too. I'm pretty sure the vertical columns are going to be blue.
216193_521650417324_110300559_30421331_3224299_n.jpg (146.08 KiB) Viewed 3913 times
205423_521650397364_110300559_30421329_1399805_n.jpg
So yeah, still waiting on more vertical stuff to go up, but for now, painting is all we've got.
205423_521650397364_110300559_30421329_1399805_n.jpg (139.67 KiB) Viewed 3913 times

Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:23 pm

I went to BGW yesterday and, man, was it crazy crowded! It took 45 minutes just to park.

I'm not doing a full trip report since I was there with family so I spent most of the time chasing toddlers in Forest of Fun and Land of the Dragons.

I just wanted to post a few inside pics of the new Pretzel Shop. I had some Cinnamon Sugar Pretzel Bites and a piece of a Jumbo Pretzel. They were really good. I'll have to try the others when I go back.

Food Menu

Snacks & Ice Cream Menu

Frozen Drinks

Pretzels

Cinnamon Sugar Pretzel BItes

Dipping Sauces for Pretzels

Pizza Pretzel

Pretzel Dog

Cinnamon Buns

Making Fresh Pretzel Dogs

SeaWorld Represent!

Self-explanatory!

Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:51 pm

the pics of those pretzels look delicious. also in the last pic of the beers, the one on the bottom right (weinstephaner) is def the best one.

went to the park today, very very crowded, had to park in the overflow lot across route 60. even sprung for the quick queue to get on the rides (which is DEFINITELY worth $13.50 on a day like today).

how is the mach tower construction not further along? this makes no sense to me. it's got to be held up by shipment of parts or something. although when i rode griffon, i spotted what looked like several mach tower sections in the parking lot behind the royal palace theater. regardless, vertical construction has got to start on this SOON since media day is basically a month away.

Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:00 pm

^The park has been open for two of the last three weeks for Spring break so I doubt they would want to bring in the equipment to build the ride especially with the bridge being right there. They go back to weekends-only starting this week so they'll have plenty of weekdays to work on it.

They also poured a huge slab of concrete in that spot so I wonder if its even cured properly and ready to go vertical. Anybody with construction and cement knowledge know how long this process takes?

Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:19 am

yeah i guess that makes sense.

Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:09 am

I was at the park on Saturday and the decoration around the station has been painted blue/white.

The park was pretty busy that day with all three parking lots full of cars, but the weather was beautiful.

Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:54 am

Reports are mounting that Mach Tower is going Vertical. One report has said it can about be seen above the tree line.

Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:10 am

pics anyone?
Post a reply
MY LATEST VIDEOS