Switch to full style
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Post a reply

Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:12 am

I will be attending the opening night for the christmastown. Just hopefully the weather holds up and we don't have any rain like we did during halloween season.

Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:41 pm

BGW has released a few more details about the new shows for Christmas Town (including a Sesame Street show in the Old Globe Theatre):

NEW SHOWS ANNOUNCED FOR CHRISTMAS TOWN: A BUSCH GARDENS CELEBRATION

Christmas Town: A Busch Gardens Celebration opens Nov. 27

WILLIAMSBURG, Va. (Nov. 13, 2009) – Music and cheer will fill the air this holiday season at Christmas Town: A Busch Gardens Celebration. Brand new shows will come to life in the streets and theatres in ways never before seen at Busch Gardens. Guests will hear classic Christmas songs performed by a diverse array of musical styles, from live Victorian-era carolers to a modern twist on Gregorian chants.

In the England section of the park families can gather in the Globe Theatre for the world-wide premiere of “A Sesame Street Christmas,” where Abby Cadabby learns the meaning of Christmas. Sesame Street residents spread holiday cheer as they share their fondest memories of favorite Christmas traditions. Through high-energy song and dance Sesame Street celebrates cookies, stockings, cards, Santa, snow, gift giving, and most important of all – friends and family.

Guests can join the townspeople of Killarney, situated in the Ireland section of the park, as they celebrate Christmas full of heart and playful surprises. They’ll be serenaded under the stars while Irish musicians play traditional Celtic Christmas classics. Guests can enter a transformed Abbey Stone Theatre for “Rejoice,” an emotional Christmas performance told through moving imagery, choral harmonies and a full, live orchestra. This production will deliver heart-felt classics in an age-old form of Gregorian music with a modern, contemporary flair that will be brand new to American audiences.

In Germany, Christmas memories come alive as friends and family celebrate the magic of the season. Live singers, dancers and musicians perform the classic sounds of the season in “Deck the Halls” at Das Festhaus. Gathered in the decked-out dining hall, guests will sing and dance along to everyone’s holiday favorites.

Throughout the night, guests can enjoy our spectacular lightshow “O Tannenbaum,” featuring our iconic 45-foot, light-animated Christmas tree. Introduced by community choirs, “O Tannenbaum” celebrates the lighting of the Christmas Town tree. Guests will be immersed by the dazzling sights and sounds of the booming symphonic score destined to become a Christmas Town tradition.

Christmas Town opens at Busch Gardens on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays from 4 - 9 p.m. beginning Nov. 27. The park will open each evening Dec. 18-27, excluding Christmas Day. Some sections of the park will remain closed for the season, and some rides and attractions are weather dependent.

Christmas Town admission tickets are available for $19.95. Guests with active Busch Gardens passes save 50 percent on Christmas Town tickets as well as free parking and in-park discounts.

Event details are available on the new Christmas Town Web site at http://www.christmastown.com.

Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:27 pm

Everything I see about Christmas Town makes me more excited for our visit in two weeks. I may have just missed it before, but it looks like the menus for individual lands are up on the interactive map page of the Chrsitmas Town website. Lots of turkey! (I'll stick to the German sausages, thank you very much.)

Sun Nov 15, 2009 2:28 pm

^I was having trouble with their Web site yesterday, but I have been curious about the menu, myself. Turkey works for me. ;)

Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:28 am

From Amusement Today:

[
The Big Bad Wolf Lives Again!

Future exhibit dedicated to the design and development of the innovative ride will be developed (Nov 19, 2009) –Who’s afraid of the Big Bad Wolf?

The National Roller Coaster Museum is hopeful, thanks to a generous donation by the management team of Busch Gardens Europe in Williamsburg, future generations will learn what it was like to “travel at the speed of fright.”

The museum will take possession of an original train, track section, sign package and accompanying support materials for the NRCMA permanent collection. “This is an incredible addition to the Museum collection,” Gary Slade, NRCMA Board Chairman said. “When the ride closed on September 7, 2009, it was the oldest operating suspended coaster – and certainly one of the best. We want to thank the leadership team at Busch Gardens Europe for their gift.”

The Big Bad Wolf was originally added to Busch Gardens’ Oktoberfest section of the park in 1984. The project was originally a Schwarzkopf designed flying coaster but after 75 percent completion, the project was turned over to Arrow Dynamics. The “suspended swinging coaster” operated until Sept. 7, 2009 when contest winners rode The Big Bad Wolf for the last time at 8:42 p.m.

“We’re honored that the NRCMA wants to add The Big Bad Wolf to their collection,” said John Reilly, Busch Gardens’ general manager. “It entertained millions of our guests over the years and now will now serve as a reminder for future generations of what the ride meant to the history of the industry.”

“The Big Bad Wolf is historically significant in the industry because of its place in the lineage of steel rollercoaster design,” Richard Munch, American Coaster Enthusiasts founder and NRCMA historian said.

I hope that the museum can provide a good home for this important piece of BGW's history--I wish them well.

Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:44 pm

Glad to hear they will save the trains.

Anybody seen pics on the de-construction yet?

JEFF

Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:45 am

Waitaminute... a Schwarzkopf flying coaster? Could they have dusted off some old plans and are having B&M build a new version of that ride?

Not to mention the mysterious track that's been lying around the B&M plant for some time.

Squid

Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:11 am

^Hmm--doubtful.

The old story was that Arrow built BBW based on a Schwartzkopf design, but it's a bit murky. This story has been kicking around for some time (RCDB lists only Arrow Dynamics as the ride's builder).

Schwartzkopf had developed some sort of "flying coaster," but never got the chance to finish it (it may have been meant for Busch Gardens).

I'll bow to those who are better at coaster history than me.

Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:25 am

Mainly what happened is that Schwarzkopf designed Big Bad Wolf, poured the footers, provided some supports, and went bankrupt. Then Arrow had to find a way to design it to fit the supports and footers.

Schwarzkopf Alpenflug was the name of the model it was supposed to be, and if I'm correct Schwarzkopf called it a "Flying" coaster not a Suspended coaster.

Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:16 am

Okay, that makes sense. It's still a huge shame that BBW is coming down. The wife and I really love that coaster! It's nice to see that part of that coaster will be preserved, but to me it just doesn't compare to riding it again and again.

Squid
Post a reply
MY LATEST VIDEOS