Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

P. 1071: Pantheon multi-launch coaster announced!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 9 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Holy crap you have a HUGE donkey!

Postby snowboard83 » Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:49 pm

bgeguy wrote:Since lift #2 and the block brakes are two different block sections, it is possible for the trains to be stopped that close.

While true, there are 2 block sections there since the first lift is shorter than the second lift, only the first one and a half cars of the train had engaged the second lift, likely leaving the end of the first train in the trailing train's block. I know it is difficult to see that in the pictures though due to heavy "shrubbary." Man... Now I really want to go and watch Monty Python's Quest for the Holy Grail...

Donkeys give me orgiastic scream!

Postby SKULLY » Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:35 am

It hurts much worse than I anticipated to see those pictures. :( Really, charge me an extra $5 per single day admission and keep the thing running for another twenty five years. Sure, it won't happen and the public wouldn't approve. But despite the fact that I had calmed down about it's removal by now, knowing that it's finally closed really starts to make me sick to my stomach. Those pictures make it look as if it's ready to be fired up and entertain for years to come.

CoasterPrince09

Postby CoasterPrince09 » Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:50 am

The one time I went to BGE I had a choice of Griffon or BBW. I'm glad I chose Griffon but I still wanted to ride this coaster because not many drops scare me but and Invert dropping straight down like that over water is sick. The last time I saw the coaster was in the rain through a blurry trashbag. Park was closed and they were rushing people out but I just had to get a picture of the station lite up. I still have the picture. Uh Memories. This is a sign of what is happening to my Favorite Coaster ever, Gasm @ SfGadv. I'm going to lose it.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby YoshiFan » Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:03 pm

snowboard83 wrote:While I agree with much of what is written here, I must say that the ride's removal will hurt attendance. Families that go to BGE love a family coaster to ride. Loch Ness is as close to that as you get now, unless you include riding Grover (insert "riding Grover comment here). Grover lasts :20. BBW lasted 3 min.

I have already heard ppl making comments throughout the area about the ride being taken out. I've heard a mother TODAY actually, say that there is no reason to go back to BG because there is nothing her kids can do now that the wolf is gone, cuz they are too old for seseme and land of the Dragons. One was tall enough for LNM and BBW, but the other could only do BBW.

Plus even if someone is tall enough for the other coasters, some people don't like coasters with inversions. And Apollo might be too much for others. It has got to be one of the most unbalanced coaster collections of any park. If the new coaster is a flyer, that will be just as bad. I don't understand why they didn't move Wild Maus somewhere else in the park rather than move it to Tampa since that would have at least given them 1 family coaster.

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:47 pm

YoshiFan wrote: It has got to be one of the most unbalanced coaster collections of any park. If the new coaster is a flyer, that will be just as bad. I don't understand why they didn't move Wild Maus somewhere else in the park rather than move it to Tampa since that would have at least given them 1 family coaster.

Er, because they still had the Big Bad Wolf at the time they moved Wild Maus to Tampa?

I love hearing myself talk!!!!!

Postby kingsdominionlvr » Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:39 pm

Any Big Bad Wolf deconstruction of any kind going on yet?

I'd kill to bang an Ewok

Postby Coasterlvr_nc » Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:01 pm

Heres a theory for everyone, Maybe instead of "Lying about the service life of the ride being over, even though nessie is still running" just figured that I would throw a probable cause out there.

What about the footers? Yes, the track is steel just like nessies, but the footers on nessie for the most part get only so much lateral force as opposed to vertical compression force. While BBW gets a whole lot more lateral force. Because of the way the supports are set up specifically after the finale drop, they could have basically been pulled out of the concrete footers (in essence)

for a visual, picture a piece of 2X4 stuck vertically in the sand. push it once and it wont go anywhere, push it XXXXXX times and it will come out.
Intamin is my way of life!
Get High on Roller Coasters, not Drugs!
Furry is Life
Nighthawk, -10 Crew

The Unknown one

Postby Devious » Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:12 am

Coasterlvr_nc wrote:Heres a theory for everyone, Maybe instead of "Lying about the service life of the ride being over, even though nessie is still running" just figured that I would throw a probable cause out there.

What about the footers? Yes, the track is steel just like nessies, but the footers on nessie for the most part get only so much lateral force as opposed to vertical compression force. While BBW gets a whole lot more lateral force. Because of the way the supports are set up specifically after the finale drop, they could have basically been pulled out of the concrete footers (in essence)

for a visual, picture a piece of 2X4 stuck vertically in the sand. push it once and it wont go anywhere, push it XXXXXX times and it will come out.

Hey, Look, LOGIC!

For the record, you're dead-on

Arrow suspended supports after a while become loose and move (This is Very obvious in BBW's station, for instance) due to the design, after all BBW is a very early arrow (the first one to remain in continuous operation for multiple years, if memory serves)

Replacing all of the concrete footers and repairing whatever stress damage on the track there is (and supports) and rehabbing the ride for another 25 years isnt honestly a very sound investment, as much as we would like it, it probably ain't going to happen
Access Denied. Better known as Zerethon.

Am I allowed to eat donkey during lent?

Postby Homeboy23 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:59 am

^^ What you said means the end of its service life.

People just want to complain and make up stuff for no reason. They just can't accept that it had to come down.

Like the poster above said, you are probably dead on with that statement.

I'd kill to bang an Ewok

Postby Coasterlvr_nc » Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:42 am

^ thats what I was saying. At that point, it would be too rediculous of a repair to be worth the cost.
Intamin is my way of life!
Get High on Roller Coasters, not Drugs!
Furry is Life
Nighthawk, -10 Crew

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!