Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

P. 1086:Christmas Town opens!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 9 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
There is no such thing as a donkey punch.

Postby slicknixon » Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:42 am

I for one, feel that both losses are equally severe. Dueling Dragons had THE BEST themed queue of any ride in existence IMO and a Harry Potter re-theme will ruin it for anyone who's waited in the original. The queue was so good, I always wished there was at least somewhat of a wait so that I could stand there and revel in the details. Big Bad Wolf was an extremely good coaster. Really the two are like apples and oranges.. but in the end they are both losses and all losses are bad. However, Big Bad Wolf will most likely be replaced by another coaster. The original Dueling Dragons will be lost forever and replaced with Harry Potter. While there's no saying what will replace BBW, I think it's safe to say that you can't get much worse than Harry freaking Potter as a replacement. Not to mention it makes less sense to take a ride already established in a particular section and changing it just to fit in with the theming of a new section as opposed to removing a ride because the high-maintenence costs outweighed the ride's worth profitably.

So i suppose in the end, Dueling Dragons is more of a "loss" and BBW is more of a "replacement". That is, unless they decide to not replace BBW. In that case, BBW would be the greater loss. But that is unlikely seeing how many fans the BBW had.

In summary, Robb has the better argument.

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:03 pm

^ To be honest, I wasn't looking for an argument nor was I trying to compete with anyone. I was just trying to look at things from a different perspective and offer that view to others who have blinders on about BBW right now.

For example, BBW being taken out is very minor compared to ASTROWORLD BEING BULLDOZED!!!!

I'm just trying to remind everyone to look at things from a different view or even the 'bigger picture" sometimes.

It's fine if people want to dis-agree with me and post their views, but I'm not going to tolerate being told I'm "obviously wrong."

(Not saying you said that, but I just wanted to clarify)

--Robb

Did the donkey fairy give me this title?

Postby coasterfreaksrttd » Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:15 pm

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

This was my first roller coaster, and I ride it every time for sentimental reasons, so it really REALLY kills me to see it go.... :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

I will provide you with maximum pleasure.

Postby DBru » Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:52 pm

I guess the reason I am mostly upset about the removal of BBW is that I have never gotten the chance to ride it...

Almost a decade ago, I remember watching footage of it on America's Greatest Roller Coaster Thrills. I was instantly fascinated with it. The way those cars swung way out over the Rhine River was just amazing to me, and I was determined to ride it one day.

A couple months ago, I finally convinced my parents to take me to BGE on our next trip, which would be next spring. Soon afterwords, BBW's removal was announced, so needless to say...that put a damper on my plans. We are now going to stop at KD and ride the new giga coaster on our way to Virginia Beach.

You know that saying, "It is better to have loved and lost, than never to have loved at all?" I'm thinking that applies to coasters, as well.

I poke manatees in the butt.

Postby Jcoaster » Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:37 pm

With the point that Rob made about many of these older steel coasters will see their time come soon....That made me think, I better go ride every Arrow I can find!
Lightening Rod/Skyrush/El Toro/I305/Superman: The Ride/ Twisted Timbers/Storm Chaser/ Apollo's Chariot/Phoenix/Boulder Dash

I'm wickedly obsessed with Ron Toomer

Postby B-RadG » Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:00 pm

Big Bad Wolf seems to know its demise is coming, seeing as it didn't break down at all today, and was running smoother than it ever has.

“Fear can make a donkey attack a lion”

Postby LcHg5265 » Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:01 am

I went to Busch Gardens last night, 8/1/09 and had some amazing night rides on Big Bad Wolf.

It was nice seeing how small kids can be and still ride Big Bad Wolf. It is unfortunate that most of them will come back next year and not be able to ride any of the "big" coasters.

Macaroni and Donkey

Postby Tchu » Sun Aug 02, 2009 8:36 am

Count me amongst the (very) few who don't really see what the fuss is about. While it'd certainly be nice if parks could hold on to all there coasters, only expand and never demolish... that's just not reasonable.

When it comes to BBW, its an old coaster that really didn't offer much in my opinion. Finally got down to Busch Gardens on Thursday while visiting some friends who live in Virginia, and I was pretty disappointed in the ride.

To me, BBW offered an awesome swing down over the river and that was about it. The ride offers no momentum, constantly being broken up by brakes and lift hills. And, outside of the big drop and swing over the river, I can't say that I felt the ride was all that forceful.

The best thing BBW had going for it was the height requirement and the way it allowed families to ride together. It was the only coaster my wife and I were in line for all day that wasn't filled with endless teenagers and twenty-somethings. It was great to see a coaster that allowed the 4 and 5 year old kids to ride with mom and dad.

I think Busch Gardens should definitely replace one coaster with another, but I think those that feel it should be something that carries a 42 or 48" height requirement are right on the money. The last thing the park needs is another B&M that's going to turn away most children and their parents.

The Unknown one

Postby Devious » Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:25 am

Honestly, i'd love to see a Phantoms revenge style coaster (Like BBW) take the wolfs place

Something big, fast, and hilariously fun, but still keeping the low height requirement

Heck, they could keep the riverdive and make it like PR's Ravine dive, just to keep the "Big finish"
Access Denied. Better known as Zerethon.

There is no such thing as a donkey punch.

Postby slicknixon » Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:59 am

^ Exactly what I was thinking. A sequel or what have you that pays homage to the original ride but adds some new elements and new technology would be the perfect answer for the park.

Riding Hood's Revenge?
Revenge of Little Red?
Grandma's Vengeance?
Flight of the Three Pigs?

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!