Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

P. 1086:Christmas Town opens!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 20 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:50 pm

^Seems to me that would depend on the flyer, wouldn't it?

Marching band is for awkward kids.

Postby fisher1095 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:53 pm

Just curious. Would it make me look stupid if I said maybe someone will buy BBW and relocate it to their park before it's taken out of BGW? :omg:

I wrote the book about donkeys!

Postby coolcalicoaster » Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:53 pm

^Just not that exciting of a ride. Maybe something on or above Tatsu's caliper. We will see. They already got one gimmick coaster in Griffon. I would hate to see them get another with a flyer. I want something new and unique. One of those Mega Lites or a Blue Fire type ride.

Am I allowed to eat donkey during lent?

Postby Homeboy23 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:58 pm

fisher1095 wrote:Just curious. Would it make me look stupid if I said maybe someone will buy BBW and relocate it to their park before it's taken out of BGW? :omg:

It is made for the terrain where it is located at. It wouldn't work anywhere else.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby alilstronger » Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:46 am

So I have never been to BGW before and I only about 3 hours away actually. As soon as I read that article I knew I had to go so I can get on the BBW. So I have planned a trip for 3 days to go to both BGW and Water Country USA.

Are the lines at either parks long during the week?
I may not know everything about coasters... what I do know is they are my life...
Home park: Six Flags America
Favorite park overall: All Walt Disney World Parks
Favorite Steels: Maverick, Millennium Force, Sky Rush, Talon, Poltergeist, I-305
Favorite Woodies: Iron Rattler, Phoenix, Roar, El Toro, Jack Rabbit, Thunderbolt, The Raven, The Legend
TPR Trips: Northeast 2011, LeviaTHON 2012

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:51 am

^The lines at either park shouldn't be too bad on weekdays, and BGW does offer Quick Queue, if necessary.

Beware of the freeze-dried donkey!

Postby deguy123 » Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:38 am

alilstronger wrote:So I have never been to BGW before and I only about 3 hours away actually. As soon as I read that article I knew I had to go so I can get on the BBW. So I have planned a trip for 3 days to go to both BGW and Water Country USA.

Are the lines at either parks long during the week?

I did that same thing...going on the 24th of August. At least this got me moving on going to the park.

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:50 am

...oops...

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:50 am

So I had a thought today. I'm actually not upset by Big Bad Wolf leaving at all. Not when you put things into a different perspective. Sure, I like the ride and everything, but when you think about the impact on the industry versus something like...

Islands of Adventure's Lost Continent being destroyed.

Big Bad Wolf leaving seems kind of trivial.

Think about it. Big Bad Wolf has been around for 25 years. And sure, it's a great ride, some may argue the best in the park, but it's not a unanimous opinion.

25 years worth of riders, probably millions that have walked through the turnstiles for more than two decades have been able to experience this "better than average" coaster.

Now let's have a look at Lost Continent, shall we?

This remarkable land, arguabley one of the most fantastical, beautiful peices of theming ever designed in a theme park BULLDOZED in just less than a decade. Some of the best creative work ever put into a park, and it didn't even last 10 years.

An area of a park, that in my opinion, should have NEVER BEEN TOUCHED, should have been "sacred ground" as far as themed areas goes, had some of the most iconic theme park landmarks litterally "thrown in a dumpster."'

That's a travesty. Big Bad Wolf leaving, yeah, it's a bummer. But is that really sadder than the Dueling Dragons statues sitting in the green dumpster waiting for the trash pickup on Monday morning? I don't think so.

And now only to walk through the area and see "Dragon Challenge", a name that sounds like it came out of the Cedar Fair book of ride re-naming, where "Dueling Dragons" used to be.

So yes, it's sad that Big Bad Wolf is leaving us, but I gotta be honest, it's time has come and there are a lot worse things out there to get bent out of shape over.

And here's one more thought...we better get used to some of these older coaster from the 1970s and 1980s being "retired" because I can't imagine that a 25 year old steel coaster isn't expesive to keep in operation.

So unless it's one of the top ten coasters in the world, my guess is that we're going to see this happen more and more over the next 5 to 10 years.

--Robb "Just some late night ramblings..." Alvey

Good to the last drop

Postby ECZenith » Sat Aug 01, 2009 1:05 am

^ I have been so excited about the new HP dark ride that I neglected the fact that this land's overlay will in fact, devour the only "non-franchise" island in IOA. I'm sure the new land will look great, but it's definately a good point to mention that there really wasn't anything at all wrong with Lost Continent.

I for one am not too upset at the removal of the wolf, I consider myself lucky to have gone on it when I did. I'm sure BGE will make excellent use of the land between it and Drachen Fyre, perhaps a new land?
-Sean C.

FORMER DISNEYLAND ATTRACTION OP

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!