Switch to full style
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Post a reply

Re: Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:55 am

Very cool to see BGW come up with a way to open at least some of the park this season. Thanks for sharing!

Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:34 am

bert425 wrote:interesting they didn't move the open area just a smidge more to allow for Le Scoot, or Alpengeist to run. . but as has been noted: some coasters are better than none.

Funny you should mention LeScoot. As I was getting out of my car, I overheard an argument between two parents and a little girl. She was insisting on bringing a bathing suit to change into later, even though her dad kept reminding her that none of the water rides were open.
Last edited by cfc on Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:35 am.

Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:36 am

Smart move incorporating opportunities for retail sales themed to COVID. Glad to hear they didn't throw in the towel and opened what they could. Thanks for the report.

Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:41 am

bert425 wrote:
interesting they didn't move the open area just a smidge more to allow for Le Scoot, or Alpengeist to run.

You would have had additional cost to operate two rides with the same amount of money coming in.

Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:45 am

This sounds like a really great night out for locals. It's a shame the state isn't letting them open fully but I'm glad they're getting creative.

Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:49 pm

Great TR Chuck. It must be weird walking around that area of the park and seeing it so empty. good that they are trying to open as much as they can under the circumstances.

Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:17 pm

They're having the event go for another week due to the great response from it!! So now, it'll go on until the 23rd.

Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:00 am

08-29-20 Taste of BG.jpg
08-29-20 Taste of BG.jpg (158.3 KiB) Viewed 3558 times

Busch Gardens is bringing back it's Food & Wine Festival for September! You can experience a Taste of Busch Gardens on select days from September 2-27.

From the park's website:

Sip, sample & soar at this ALL-NEW specially ticketed outdoor event!

Enjoy a fusion of flavor and fun as you indulge in a selection of Food & Wine fan favorites pared with an array of NEW park experiences from coasters like Verbolten & Alpengeist, to Le Scoot, more villages & other fun-filled rides!

Italy remains closed, but more rides will be open (check their website for more details).

Some favorites from past Food and Wine Festivals will be offered, such as Bangers and Colcannon, Gamba Fritters, and Steak Chimichurri.

Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:47 am

If its profitable then keep it going!

Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:42 pm

A Taste of Busch Gardens

Busch Gardens bounced back a bit in August with their Coasters and Craft Brews event, which was held on selected days and inspired (somewhat) by their annual Bierfest. Now they're offering the "greatest hits" of their annual Food and Wine Festival: A Taste of Busch Gardens.

This month's event seems a bit more "festive" than Coasters and Craft Brews, in that they really are offering something beyond their usual dining menu (the "Craft Brews" thing last month meant that Grogan's Pub was open in Ireland). More of the park is open (Forest of Fun and Italy remain closed), and now you can ride Griffon, InvadR, Alpengeist, Verbolten, and Le Scoot, in addition to a few more flat rides (no Loch Ness Monster, though). You can enjoy some unique food, such as Gamba Fritters and Mushroom Risotto, in Ireland, France, and Fort New France. Tasting cards are available, too: five samples for $30.00 and ten samples for $60.00.

The park offers two separate sessions on select days (11:00 am-3:00 pm and 5:00-9:00 pm), and you have to reserve the day and time you wish to attend (check the park's website for details). Admission to a Taste of Busch Gardens is part of your park membership; otherwise, it's $44.95 per person.

I went there after work on Friday, September 4--here's a look. And remember: Masks must be worn, except when eating and drinking, and rides are run at lower capacity (but there will only be 1,000 people at the park, anyway).
Attachments
001.jpg
Be sure to walk on the right when entering to maintain proper social distancing.
002.jpg
The park seemed a bit busier than it did during Coasters and Craft Brews.
003.jpg
No Loch Ness Monster for you!
004.jpg
This map will tell you what's open and where to get some chow.
005.jpg
"Wilbur, can't a horse get some privacy to take a bath around here?"
006.jpg
I recommend that you drink plenty of beer to wash down some fritters, then ride Finnegan's Flyer. The results could be either amusing or unfortunate, depending on where you are.
007.jpg
Get yer tasting cards here, folks! (Or at other places, since this register is closed.)
008.jpg
This place is now offering more than just baked potatoes.
009.jpg
Here's where you find the good beer, as the Festhaus is still closed. There isn't as much indoor seating as they offered last month, though.
010.jpg
Here's what was on tap.
011.jpg
That is one big owl. I know you're not supposed to feed the animals, but if that big scary bird wants one of my fritters, he's getting one!
012.jpg
Where they grow sangria.
013.jpg
Yummy desserts are available in France . . .
014.jpg
. . . as are tasty fries.
015.jpg
The German Frites (French fries with curry wurst) were very good.
016.jpg
Hmm--I haven't ridden Alpengeist in about a year.
017.jpg
The socially distanced line moved pretty well. They were letting in enough people for a train, then holding the line until it dispatched.
018.jpg
Ugh! Shouldn't have ate all that curry wurst!
019.jpg
For all you log-flume fans out there.
020.jpg
Note the extra plexiglass in the seating area near Alpengeist.
021.jpg
Hey! Shouldn't that naked chick be wearing a mask?
022.jpg
No games or Festhaus in Oktoberfest this year--but they're redoing some of the gift shop.
023.jpg
Hey--what's that ride in the lower left "2" of the pink 2020 shirt?
024.jpg
Oh--that one.
025.jpg
Sigh! Our anticipation for one of the "Top 10 Anticipated Rides" continues.
026.jpg
Mach Tower is being put to good use during a Taste of Busch Gardens.
027.jpg
Hmm--logical.
028.jpg
No Mach Tower, but you can ride Wirbelwind. I would've ridden Verbolten, but it broke down earlier, and the line was too long when I came back.
029.jpg
I finished my evening with fritters, gyoza, and beer. Thanks for reading.
Last edited by cfc on Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:43 pm.
Post a reply
MY LATEST VIDEOS