Walt Disney World Magic Kingdom Discussion Thread

P. 328: "Disney Genie" digital offering announced for 2020!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 3 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
It all started with a donkey

Re: NEWS: Enchanted Tiki Room to reopen in classic form

Postby the ghost » Tue May 17, 2011 1:36 pm

YES! I saw this when vacationing in Florida and was VERY disappointed when compared to my Disneyland one was awful! The concept was ok, but the overall show was just not great.

Jar-Jar Binks smells like Donkey

Postby Movieguy » Tue May 17, 2011 6:51 pm

Hmmm...I wonder if this change has to do with the fact that Gilbert made those inappropriate jokes about the victims in Japan a while ago. He already lost his job with Aflac because of it. Just speculating.

Never got to see the original show, but I didn't see what was so bad about Under New Management. Not an A-level show, of course, but not horrible to me either.

Delicious & Refreshing

Postby jedimaster1227 » Tue May 17, 2011 7:07 pm

^There was a pretty bad fire that broke out at the Tiki Room not too long ago and it was rumored that the Iago animatronic, among others, was pretty badly damaged. I think the fire just gave the final excuse to retire the current show, and the easiest (and probably wisest) option was to bring back the original show, or something as close to it as possible.

From what I've been told, this isn't the exact same version of the show we had before Under New Management, but the version Disneyland received that was two minutes shorter than the original. That being said, it sounds like our original pre-show will be returning as well.
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

I pee in space

Postby spacemtfan » Tue May 17, 2011 7:08 pm

^ I wonder if that's the case as well.

Anyway glad to see WDW get their classic Tiki Room back...
"Disney has a very strict dress code, which makes you wonder how Winnie the Pooh managed to slip by without wearing any pants."
--Stephen Colbert, on "The Colbert Report"

WDW Monorail Fanatic

Postby BeemerBoy » Tue May 17, 2011 7:13 pm

Never got to see the original show, but I didn't see what was so bad about Under New Management.

It just lacked the simplistic charm of the historic original. It was never gonna be anywhere near an E-ticket attraction, and I think many purists were upset that Disney made a half-assed attempt to infuse a couple modern characters into it with the hopes that it'd breathe some life into what they thought was just a tired old attraction.

To me, it's like the Country Bears. Really, it's okay to leave a couple simple things here and there as they are. Unfortunately, Disney is not unlike any other major company...always tinkering, and not always necessarily improving (coughFacebookcoughFirefoxcoughetc.etc.cough) things.
Displaying "Online Enthusiast Morality" since 2006, with 99.9% more sarcasm.

Have I mentioned how awesome donkeys are?

Postby DCody » Tue May 17, 2011 10:42 pm

The SETGO Guys wrote:I know where I'm eating my next Dole whip! :D\

I am OBSESSED with Dole Whip.

Glad to hear this news. I love vintage Disneyana and I'd hate to see all the kitschy old stuff being phased out in favor of new marketing. Between this and the fun old-school posters they're doing over at Disneyland, I'm happy.

All Your Base, Are Belong To Us!!!

Postby yesac519 » Tue May 17, 2011 11:46 pm

W00T! I'm pretty glad I never saw the Under New Management Version, even after spending 9 months there on the College Program. Just never got around to it I guess.

Woo for Original Stuff :mickey:

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Wed May 18, 2011 5:05 am

DCody wrote:

Same--and DL has a Dole Whip stand in the preshow area!

A donkey is a domesticated member of the Equidae or horse family.

Postby mwm1444 » Wed May 18, 2011 5:07 am

cfc wrote:
DCody wrote:

Same--and DL has a Dole Whip stand in the preshow area!

Nothing like putting yourself to sleep in the Enchanted Tiki Room, with a Dole Whip bought from the double-sided bar, after you've stupidly forgotten to pick up a spoon. Then, due to said combination of ETR and Dole Whip, ACTUALLY falling asleep on Pirates.

West Coast 2009 ~ UK 2010 ~ IntimidaTour 2010 ~ Southern Japan/Tokyo Disney 2011

the ghost seems to think there is a "Donkey Fairy"

Postby aimster » Wed May 18, 2011 8:04 am

I absolutely hated "Under New Management". It was so bad I've seen people get up and walk out muttering, "What is this mess?" To bring the Tiki Room back to its former glory makes me happy. Looks like the Offenbach number won't be back though (I'm one of the few loonies who LIKED that number), but as long as they don't start singing doo-wop, Miami Sound Machine or any "modern" songs, all will be good.

Long live Jose, Fritz, Michael and... the other bird (I can't remember his name)!

A friend of mine heard the old Florida Orange Bird might somehow get incorporated into the scheme of things. I would LOVE to see him back in some form. I remember meeting the walk-around character in the 70's and had a little toy Orange Bird too. I don't think he'd fit into the show itself, but maybe the preshow or over at the Sunshine Tree Terrace stand that's at the exit to the Tiki Room. I'd buy a lot more Citrus Swirls (orange & vanilla swirled soft serve... I love them more than Dole Whips).

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!