Walt Disney World Magic Kingdom Discussion Thread

P. 339: Splash Mountain Officially Being Rethemed!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 7 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Holy crap you have a HUGE donkey!

Re: Walt Disney World Magic Kingdom Discussion Thread

Postby BotanicalStig » Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:02 am

JRHcoasterki wrote:I think this change was necessary and I'm glad it's finally happening! I will say, I think Disney missed an opportunity to come forward with a true acknowledgment of why the retheme of Splash Mountain is necessary. The press release mentions their aim to make the new ride more inclusive, which is definitely great. But I wish they had been more explicit in their explanation, stating why the ride has always been problematic, apologizing for their longtime silence regarding its problematic nature, and clarifying how this retheme is a part of their effort to enact real change in the parks.

I know we are all tired of reading longwinded apologies from corporations. It is about the action, and Disney is taking action here. However, I think recognizing and owning up to their faults when it comes to the ride (and Song of the South in general, that's a whole other discussion), would have been impactful.

Anyway, not trying to be negative! I think this change is well-intentioned and could be very cool. I don't post much on here, but I have been trying to be more vocal recently. Also, very on board for Elissa's idea of a Chip and Dale-themed Splash Mountain! :)

Frankly, there are many offensive/racist rides and characters at WDW (small world, peter pan, hall of presidents). If this had anything to do with removing offensive characters from the parks, they wouldn't have stopped with splash. And if they had stated publicly that they wished to do so, they would have no choice but to renovate many more attractions.

Disney doesn't give a shit in the slightest about twitter outrage. The ride was due for an update. It's an old attraction, and disney has a newer movie which fits the original theming pretty perfectly. SOTS wasn't a great movie to use for a ride from the get-go. It glorified slavery and made jokes of racial stereotypes and slurs. Some animated parts of the film play back more like an episode of south park than a disney movie. However, disney did a good job bringing the characters and songs to life. Keep in mind that these characters came from folklore, not from hate. The ride didn't really portray anything or anyone in a negative light... It was about singing animals. If the movie never existed, would the ride be offensive?

And to those who say the dialect of the robots was offensive, Princess and the Frog wont be much better. Southern people sound southern, and if that offends you, stay away from the new ride :lmao:

I'm still pretty bitter about it, but I'm excited to see how they make do with the retheme. Hopefully they stay away from screens. They can do some really impressive work with animatronics these days.

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:51 pm

^That's an excellent point. Can we get them to remove Trump out of Hall of Presidents since he's super racist!!!??

The only thing better than a naked woman is a naked donkey!

Postby Haymaker » Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:42 pm

Different experiences, different hazards...

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Postby tinaalsgirl » Sat Jul 11, 2020 4:01 pm

Holy Cow! I never really thought about it before, but they must cast experienced horse riders for these type of events. Merida handled it well!

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Postby Satans Hockey » Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:42 pm

Glad the horse and nobody else was hurt, kinda amazing that sort of thing doesn't happen when the park is absolutely packed but it happens with what looks like basically nobody there lol

I own the website www.donkey.com

Postby KarlaKoaster » Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:23 am

You are no longer able to take your mask off while walking around eating and Drinking. Disney have closed the loophole by updating their face coverings guidance to say:

"You may remove your face covering while actively eating or drinking, but you should be stationary and maintain appropriate physical distancing."

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby coasterbill » Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:37 am

Makes sense to me...

Have I mentioned how awesome donkeys are?

Postby jjeerr » Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:44 am

yeah I love walk around drinks but if I’m at pandemic Disneyland I can stay at my spot.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby bert425 » Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:59 pm

good call on the mask rules adjustment.

and really glad that Meridia was a skilled enough rider that she wasn't hurt from that balloon snafu.
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/19fc64eae2ec826e3a662d1ff9f29ab9.jpg[/img][/url]

The only thing better than a naked woman is a naked donkey!

Postby Haymaker » Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:14 pm

Smart move, because there are plenty of people out there that will carry around a popcorn bucket and claim theyre eating.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!